TPG opts out of email

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Those of us who have a TPG mailbox or a mailbox with one of TPG's many subsidiaries will probably know that TPG is opting out of the e mail business late in 2023. They are offering to migrate existing customers to The Messaging Coy which operates out of Brisbane. I was in a situation where I switched my broadband to Telstra many years ago but chose to keep renting a mailbox from iiNet (formerly Adam Internet) simply because I did not want to go through the exercise of changing my e mail address with around 20-30 different organisations. Last week, unsure of the future with The Messaging Coy I decided to switch the whole deal to Telstra but of course I needed a bigpond email address and an internet password. Several years back when I renegotiated my internet contract with Telstra I was issued with an email address and password so I decided to try and install this in MS Outlook. No luck as apparently once issued these email addresses expire after 6 months. So nothing for it but to contact Telstra and get a new address and password. Then the fun started.

After two on line chat sessions and two phone calls from Telstra both of them at around 6.45 am I finally found someone who knew what was needed. The problem was the Telstra email expert was only an expert on installing an account into Telstra's Webmail which I chose not to use as my default mail app. I was therefore in the dark but fortunately I located an article on the web that related to installing new IMAP account settings In Outlook 2019. Telstra have how to instructions on their website but these do not extend to Outlook versions beyond 2016. I suspect this is about the time Telstra decided to go with their own webmail and hence forth were not too concerned with people who use Bill Gates' platforms. When I finally got around to setting up the new account it was easy as Outlook did it all automatically and even sent a test e mail to make sure it worked. I even figured out how to make my bigpond address the default in Outlook while still retaining my old email address.

Then the next stage as I had to inform all those organisations, including Big Footy, that I have a new email address. In many cases your email address is used to log on so getting things up to date ASAP is important. One thing that came through in this exercise was the security that is now in place to prevent identity theft. I lost count of the number of codes that were sent to my phone. Most organisations were easy to deal with, simply log in enter a code then go to My Account and change your e mail. Most of them sent a verification email- simple. The notable exception was Microsoft where they didn't inform me that a verification email was on the way so I didn't verify and could not log in I had to spend some time figuring out what was going on.

Over and done with now but migrating e mail address to an alteranate ISP has a lot of work in it particularly if you cannot get the right person to talk to and you have difficulty understanding the Telstra call centre accent. For anyone who is thinking of switching from the TPG network do it asap.

Those of us who have a TPG mailbox or a mailbox with one of TPG's many subsidiaries will probably know that TPG is opting out of the e mail business late in 2023. They are offering to migrate existing customers to The Messaging Coy which operates out of Brisbane. I was in a situation where I switched my broadband to Telstra many years ago but chose to keep renting a mailbox from iiNet (formerly Adam Internet) simply because I did not want to go through the exercise of changing my e mail address with around 20-30 different organisations. Last week, unsure of the future with The Messaging Coy I decided to switch the whole deal to Telstra but of course I needed a bigpond email address and an internet password. Several years back when I renegotiated my internet contract with Telstra I was issued with an email address and password so I decided to try and install this in MS Outlook. No luck as apparently once issued these email addresses expire after 6 months. So nothing for it but to contact Telstra and get a new address and password. Then the fun started.

After two on line chat sessions and two phone calls from Telstra both of them at around 6.45 am I finally found someone who knew what was needed. The problem was the Telstra email expert was only an expert on installing an account into Telstra's Webmail which I chose not to use as my default mail app. I was therefore in the dark but fortunately I located an article on the web that related to installing new IMAP account settings In Outlook 2019. Telstra have how to instructions on their website but these do not extend to Outlook versions beyond 2016. I suspect this is about the time Telstra decided to go with their own webmail and hence forth were not too concerned with people who use Bill Gates' platforms. When I finally got around to setting up the new account it was easy as Outlook did it all automatically and even sent a test e mail to make sure it worked. I even figured out how to make my bigpond address the default in Outlook while still retaining my old email address.

Then the next stage as I had to inform all those organisations, including Big Footy, that I have a new email address. In many cases your email address is used to log on so getting things up to date ASAP is important. One thing that came through in this exercise was the security that is now in place to prevent identity theft. I lost count of the number of codes that were sent to my phone. Most organisations were easy to deal with, simply log in enter a code then go to My Account and change your e mail. Most of them sent a verification email- simple. The notable exception was Microsoft where they didn't inform me that a verification email was on the way so I didn't verify and could not log in I had to spend some time figuring out what was going on.

Over and done with now but migrating e mail address to an alteranate ISP has a lot of work in it particularly if you cannot get the right person to talk to and you have difficulty understanding the Telstra call centre accent. For anyone who is thinking of switching from the TPG network do it asap.
This is way I stopped using my ISP-supplied email years ago, it's much less likely that a Microsoft or Google is going to f**k with their email services, and it makes changing ISPs easy. I'm with a TPG-aligned ISP and didn't even know about it until my Dad asked about it since he's with another TPG ISP, I just never look at that mailbox.

Finding out more each day. I didn't realise that all email traffic is stored on your ISP's Webmail site regardless of your default mail application. I set MS Outlook as my default Mail app in Windows 11 yet my emails are stored in the Telstra Webmail inbox as well as Outlook. The thing to watch is if I delete an email from the Telstra Webmail inbox that email is also deleted from the MS Outlook inbox. One plus though is that when I logged into my previous ISP's Webmail page I found all the folders I had created in MS Outlook were also listed in iiNet Webmail. Thus far this has not happened with Telstra. At this stage I am not sure if transferring emails from the Outlook inbox to a folder will prevent them from being deleted.

As I am migrating from iiNet to Telstra I decided to clean up the iiNet Webmail before I go. I deleted most of the folders from iiNet webmail and consequently lost those stored in Outlook under my old iiNet email address. Fortunately I had a back up file so I was able to import that into Ouitlook and restore most of the deleted folders.

I will probably never use Telstra Webmail so this may not be a big issue but it would be nice to be able to change the contents in one application and not affect the other. I have a feeling there must be a simple solution to this but I have not been able to find it.

EDIT Spoke too soon revisited Telstra Mail and there they are-all my folders as created in MS Outlook. Good job these are password protected but having personal emails scattered over the net is not really great security.

Last edited:

I'm with Westnet, a subsidiary to iinet, which is a subsidiary to TPG.
I still use my email address for Westnet when I first joined with them
back 17 years 7 months ago, although they didn't use mobiles back then,
as soon as they started selling them I grabbed one.
iinet have now told us we have to move our mobiles to the messenger thing,
the icing on the cake so to speak is that they will pay for the first 12 months.
Iv'e looked up pricing to see what it's going to cost me in a years time but
I can't find anything on their web page, it's probably staring me right in the face,
but i'm as old as dirt lol

the icing on the cake so to speak is that they will pay for the first 12 months.
I can't find anything on their web page, it's probably staring me right in the face,

Yes, there is no pricing from this Messaging Company as yet. They will simply migrate existing TPG accounts over sometime in November and presumably maintain the existing accounts until they are due for renewal. It will not worry me as I now have a bigpond address and I can simply shut down the Messaging.com account and still retain my email. I guess if I do not renew they will shut it down for me. We are supposed to be getting an update sometime next month.

I has worked out pretty well because I now have two email addresses and can keep tabs on any emails still going to my old email address. This is mainly spam anyway.

Ive been with iiNet since the 1990s Im pretty sure. Had the same email address since then and do use it for things, but these days I use my Hotmail as my main, and Gmail as my backup.

I will be letting my 20+ year old email address expire. I wont be paying for a service I get for free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back