TSL licenses 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Being a good junior club has little to do with being a good senior club. The juniors have been going to Launceston so I believe. They seem to develop ok at that TSL club. So what happens to the idea of having a development zone?
What sort of training facilities & support staff exist in 2nd division NTFA?

Daniel Smedley is the reason the Prospect club is getting elevated. Pretty certain he is the founder of prospect hawks, works with afl tas in some capacity and the biggest pusher of the Bulldogs/Hawks merger.

I have read all the positives and the negatives about the changes to Tasmania's Premier Australian Football competition proposed for 2014.

It would interest me to see AFL Tasmania's business plan for the new competition which I believe is for 10 years.

I would assume that there would be KPI's that would measure the success or failure of the venture.

I have major concerns regarding dismantling of established clubs and the formation of brand new clubs.

Many issues come to mind such as where the volunteers, players and supporters will be found.

Also what really intrigues me is how this new model will improve the standard of Tasmanian football and therefore improve the chances of Tasmanian boys being drafted to the big game.

AFL Tasmania obviously considered that new clubs would be a better model, than assisting and working with established clubs such as North Hobart F.C and South Launceston F.C.

I realise that change is inevitable and is necessary if you wish to improve a business or organisations performance. Historically incremental change as opposed the massive restructuring has always been an approach that has worked.

The support and infrastructure that AFL Tasmania will need to provide to 4 new AFL clubs will be enormous and must surely stretch their resources.

I really hope this massive change to the football landscape succeeds for the sake of Tasmanian football.

However I think it is reasonable to request that the whole board of AFL Tasmania is held accountable for the restructuring of the SWL.

I have read all the positives and the negatives about the changes to Tasmania's Premier Australian Football competition proposed for 2014.

It would interest me to see AFL Tasmania's business plan for the new competition which I believe is for 10 years.

I would assume that there would be KPI's that would measure the success or failure of the venture.

I have major concerns regarding dismantling of established clubs and the formation of brand new clubs.

Many issues come to mind such as where the volunteers, players and supporters will be found.

Also what really intrigues me is how this new model will improve the standard of Tasmanian football and therefore improve the chances of Tasmanian boys being drafted to the big game.

AFL Tasmania obviously considered that new clubs would be a better model, than assisting and working with established clubs such as North Hobart F.C and South Launceston F.C.

I realise that change is inevitable and is necessary if you wish to improve a business or organisations performance. Historically incremental change as opposed the massive restructuring has always been an approach that has worked.

The support and infrastructure that AFL Tasmania will need to provide to 4 new AFL clubs will be enormous and must surely stretch their resources.

I really hope this massive change to the football landscape succeeds for the sake of Tasmanian football.

However I think it is reasonable to request that the whole board of AFL Tasmania is held accountable for the restructuring of the SWL.

AFL Tas have never accepted responsibility for anything. They aint about to start now!
AFL Tas are full of footy plans. They come out with new ones all the time. I'venever seen them offer any reason for their various about face tactics.
Having footy plans is one thing, but what are the various business plans that apply to clubs. Even South Launy were apparently goingbad despite massive support from AFL Tas. How do they pay the bills? Losing all those reserves guys & their friends & families must havemadea dent in club finances.

I Must confess I do not attend as many games as I used to, but speaking to people whose sons are involved the removal of the reserve’s has destroyed the soul of the clubs. Seconds players are virtually spread to the wind each weekend and this affects a club culture and also revenue.
The last New SWL club from scratch was the Southern Cats they only lasted one and half seasons Next year the SWL will have 4 new southern cats. I hope lesson have been learnt from this disaster of that failed start up Club. I think it’s too many new clubs in one season would be better to do it gradually, but that would be common sense not much of that at Argyle Street, sad times for supports of all clubs to see North Hobart go from the top tier with their proud history. And for what the chance for maybe one extra Junior to be drafted each year with this development league BS.

I wonder if the SWL should be replaced by a Tasmanian Championship?

I think of a model like the follow...

One Northern League and One Southern League.
Both leagues to have two divisions (including promotion/relegation).
1st Division in both leagues to have 8 teams.
2nd Division to have anywhere from 8 to 12 teams.

22 Round system.
1st Division Teams play the sides in their own league twice (14 games) - 7 at home, 7 away.
Crossover games, see each side play each of the other league's teams (8 games) - 4 at home, 4 away.
Highest placed team in each league at the end of 22 games to be declared that comp's premier.

Top 4 sides from the North and South to create a final 8 system.
Winner of Grand Final is the Tasmanian Champion.

22 Round system.
1st Division Teams play the sides in their own league twice (14 games) - 7 at home, 7 away.
Crossover games, see each side play each of the other league's teams (8 games) - 4 at home, 4 away.
Highest placed team in each league at the end of 22 games to be declared that comp's premier.

I like the model CrowdedHouse unfortunately unless there is a change from the AFL football is doomed here in this state this current regime at AFL Tasmania have only one master to satisfy and that is Andrew Demetriou. Hell half AFL Tasmanian board live on the mainland.
The clubs have no say or power and AFL Tasmania keep changing the rules to suit themselves. This time last year only one of the current Hobart clubs were going to be admitted to the SWL that has now changed to a forced merger. your model would work fine IMO

I like the model CrowdedHouse unfortunately unless there is a change from the AFL football is doomed here in this state this current regime at AFL Tasmania have only one master to satisfy and that is Andrew Demetriou. Hell half AFL Tasmanian board live on the mainland.
The clubs have no say or power and AFL Tasmania keep changing the rules to suit themselves. This time last year only one of the current Hobart clubs were going to be admitted to the SWL that has now changed to a forced merger. your model would work fine IMO

I've always liked the idea of a statewide comp. I just think it should have been 8 clubs. But that is not really an issue now. Its been the constant changes AFL Tas have dumped on the footy community, & Now its the wholesale gutting of clubs.

All the clubs want is to play the best level of footy they can, be competitive, bring the young guys through & enjoy the game & the challenges. But they cant do it with the constant slicing & dicing from Argyle st. It seems to have no rhyme of reason. At least none the public can follow. Its done a lot of damage to club support & finances.

For Years the reserves comp has been a development step the clubs use. It hasnt been a boof head thugs game for decades. Pissing off that many young players has gutted the clubs playing depths & finances by not having those young guys, friends & families about the place any more. They dont come back from local clubs when you snap your fingers & expect them to turn up & wag their tails because they are needed for a game. That system doent work in the VFL/AFL alignment, & they have lots of money!
Where do the AFL Tas people get their ideas from? SANFL & WAFL run a normal comp, why not us?.

If the AFL Tas Footy directors cant see the damage they have done, then the public will just dump the league. AFL Tas cant prop 10 clubs up. Money couldnt save South Launy & Devonport. The clubs need to do more than just play kids. They are CLUBS so they need people about & need to make people feel wanted & of value & enjoy being their & generate the money needed to pay the bills. Council rates, ground rentals, lighting bills,water bills, lots of insurances, costs of equipment (computers/gym etc), office costs & accounts management costs, players costs, medial costs, fitness guys, trainers & coaches etc etc. The supporters & sponsors wont put up with this crap much longer.
What do AFL Tas do then? Bring in more 2nd division teams & write more cheques?

22 Round system.

The system already has a similarity to this, in that the Southern teams play each other three times and crossover once, and vice versa. The ladder is combined. An issue is finance - if ten teams are subject to this rationalisation now, then two comps worth stands no chance. Promotion and relegation is always a terrible idea...

I've always been in favour of regional comps, because rivalry is the cornerstone of sport, although I have been swung towards preserving a statewide comp simply because it does improve the standard (much less this time around apparently) when done properly. If you had a Tasmanian superbowl, a state grand final as used to happen, that's good enough. The locals want their premiers...

I can't remember ever having a promotion/relegation structure in Tasmania so I don't know that we can say its a terrible idea. Seems to work ok in the English football association. Of course that would mean that Hobart would have already been relegated for this season and someone else would have stepped up and there would only be one team in Hobart city and no reason for AFL Tas to play about with the licences initially.

Every week seems to bring knowledge of a role that Daniel Smedley fills. Consultant CEO at South Launceston employed by AFL TAS, Committee member at Prospect senior and junior clubs, President or chairman of Prospect park management committee, Game Day Co-ordinator for AFL Games at Aurora, anyone else know of others?

I can't remember ever having a promotion/relegation structure in Tasmania so I don't know that we can say its a terrible idea. Seems to work ok in the English football association. Of course that would mean that Hobart would have already been relegated for this season and someone else would have stepped up and there would only be one team in Hobart city and no reason for AFL Tas to play about with the licences initially.

Every week seems to bring knowledge of a role that Daniel Smedley fills. Consultant CEO at South Launceston employed by AFL TAS, Committee member at Prospect senior and junior clubs, President or chairman of Prospect park management committee, Game Day Co-ordinator for AFL Games at Aurora, anyone else know of others?

We already have a promotion/relegation system in Tassie footy. South Launy, 2nd on the ladder, go out & NTFA 2nd division team come in at the end of the year. Its a simple system. Its only run for the 'right people' wink, nudge!;)

Obviously Daniel Smedley is a 'right person' ;).

Promotion and relegation has f###ed soccer. It's a relic from an ancient time in tiny countries with dense populations who didn't pay their players. Now, you've got half a dozen teams out of 92+, who are the only ones who can win the premiership in our lifetimes. The rest fight for the honour of getting smashed every week and demoted every second year, and get big payouts when they're axed because it softens the shock when they suddenly lose the big revenue streams of the EPL and the top journeyman players. In this system, you cannot fairly enforce either a draft, zones or a salary cap. No top league in Europe this year managed to get within two games of the season finish with an open title race, a total lack of competitiveness...the things that interest spectators are not based upon the final tables - it's all about rivalries, betting, the social atmosphere, the honour of sharing the stage with the big boys...if you're team is destined never to take out the flag and you already know this because you know how much the other team cost, will interest remain in the comp...? In Australia, we don't do this...

Introduce this, and say goodbye to teams who already struggle to stay afloat...

I am already aware of players who are good SWL payers who are seriously considering dropping back to the Old Scholars in 2014.

It is apparent that AFL Tasmania have a truck load of work if they seriously think they are going to make the 4 new sides/competition work in next year.

Also teams need a solid list to start pre-season in November if they are going to make a decent crack of it!

Sounds easy!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

22 Round system.

I would prefer to see a model that combined regional football with a state championship. I would go with 3 regional competitions with 8 sides each (NWFU, NTFA, SFL). Each region has 14 Home & Away rounds + finals. Regional competitions would consist of Seniors, Reserves & Under 19s.
In addition, the State Championship would be run separate to the regional championships. The competition could consist of Seniors & Under 19s. 4 groups of 6 teams, with 2 teams from each region making up each group. Each team would only travel to each other region once (i.e. a group consisting of Launceston, Scottsdale, Wynard, Penguin, Clarence & Hobart would see Launceston play Wynard (Home), Penguin (Away), Clarence (Home), Hobart (Away) & Scottsdale (Home or Away). The top team from each group would play off in the semis and the final could be held on the Friday night before the AFL Grand Final. State Championship rounds would be played every 3-4 weeks (no regional games on those weekends).
This way, every team has 19 games in a season before finals, & supporters can have both regional football against rivals, travel is kept to a minimum, and we have a state champion.

I would prefer to see a model that combined regional football with a state championship. I would go with 3 regional competitions with 8 sides each (NWFU, NTFA, SFL). Each region has 14 Home & Away rounds + finals. Regional competitions would consist of Seniors, Reserves & Under 19s.
In addition, the State Championship would be run separate to the regional championships. The competition could consist of Seniors & Under 19s. 4 groups of 6 teams, with 2 teams from each region making up each group. Each team would only travel to each other region once (i.e. a group consisting of Launceston, Scottsdale, Wynard, Penguin, Clarence & Hobart would see Launceston play Wynard (Home), Penguin (Away), Clarence (Home), Hobart (Away) & Scottsdale (Home or Away). The top team from each group would play off in the semis and the final could be held on the Friday night before the AFL Grand Final. State Championship rounds would be played every 3-4 weeks (no regional games on those weekends).
This way, every team has 19 games in a season before finals, & supporters can have both regional football against rivals, travel is kept to a minimum, and we have a state champion.

I'm sorry I don't see how that would help the standard of football, nor help improve the development of good young players with AFL potential.
I mean Scottsdale v Clarence? or Launy v Penguin? Massacres
I think we just need some common sense applied to a statewide competition. However given the track record of AFL Tas, even that is probably hoping for too much.

I always remember Paul Sproule being interviewed early 80’s on channel six or the abc television coverage about a proposed state-wide league structure well before the SWL version 1. His opinion was it should be no more than eight team's to make it viable in terms of our population the standard of football and economics to run. His model was one team from Burnie, Devonport, two teams based out of Launceston and four from Hobart. I always thought that made a lot of sense.

I always remember Paul Sproule being interviewed early 80’s on channel six or the abc television coverage about a proposed state-wide league structure well before the SWL version 1. His opinion was it should be no more than eight team's to make it viable in terms of our population the standard of football and economics to run. His model was one team from Burnie, Devonport, two teams based out of Launceston and four from Hobart. I always thought that made a lot of sense.

Paul Sproule was a fantastic player in the 1970's for Sandy Bay during their most successful period.
I've spoken to a lot of ol' footy heads & supporters from different clubs about SWL. Some older ones dont like it. It that they miss the old TFL days with local games each week. But the world has changed with weekend work & shopping & AFL on TV etc etc.
Most people I speak to agree it should have been 8 teams, 2, 2 & 4. Giving them some fair support & helping to get the best quality of coaches, umpires & support staff. They remember seeing John Devine, John Bingley & Peter Hudson etc, that got the public interest!
But no, AFL Tas have to make up some weird & wonderful plan that bears no relationship to reality. No proper business case, haphazard rule changes. No wonder the public are voting with their feet. Coming up with some kind of advertising blitz is not going to make any difference. Again, too little too late.
Why is commonsense so uncommon?

Why cant we go back to 3 regional Leagues Southern,Northern and North West each play there own rosters finals grand finals Ect then the next season have a Foxtel cup style knock out system in place maybe two teams from each league play in the knock out comp with the two remanding teams play off in the Grand Final for the State crown ?

Unfortunately it seems all the power is in one man’s hands for football in this State. And it is his way or No way. Clubs are virtually powerless than choosing to drop out of the SWL e.g. South Launceston North Hobart. The Tasmania football community from SWL Clubs down need a revolution and the only way this will happen if everyone storm’s Argyle Street.....But not on a Wednesday because they are all out at Royal Hobart Golf Club.
I say “Vive la Revolution”

Why cant we go back to 3 regional Leagues Southern,Northern and North West each play there own rosters finals grand finals Ect then the next season have a Foxtel cup style knock out system in place maybe two teams from each league play in the knock out comp with the two remanding teams play off in the Grand Final for the State crown ?

'We' can but 'they' won't.
Remember that they pay some clubs a lot more than others. Those 'favoured' clubs won't do anything to upset the gravy train.

I'm sorry I don't see how that would help the standard of football, nor help improve the development of good young players with AFL potential.
I mean Scottsdale v Clarence? or Launy v Penguin? Massacres
I think we just need some common sense applied to a statewide competition. However given the track record of AFL Tas, even that is probably hoping for too much.

if this went ahead Scottsdale could become significantly stronger. look at he Northeast boys running around in the TSL: Carins, Van Den Berg, Roozendaal, Petterwood, and a lot of young players who are in seniors. North East boys make up over half of the current North Colts side. Then there are others like Boyce and Krushka at Launceston and a couple at South. If the three region competition went ahead clubs such as Scottsdale and other NTFA, NTFL and SFL clubs would be strengthened by players returning to their local club as there is not a higher level of football to play in

if this went ahead Scottsdale could become significantly stronger. look at he Northeast boys running around in the TSL: Carins, Van Den Berg, Roozendaal, Petterwood, and a lot of young players who are in seniors. North East boys make up over half of the current North Colts side. Then there are others like Boyce and Krushka at Launceston and a couple at South. If the three region competition went ahead clubs such as Scottsdale and other NTFA, NTFL and SFL clubs would be strengthened by players returning to their local club as there is not a higher level of football to play in

IMO That doesnt help the standard of footy for guys to play in & improve. Guys naturally gravitate to bigger towns & cities for work/study etc. Trying to get them to stay in their original local clubs so that footy team can be better, wont work. Also More kids would probably go the VFL/SANFL etc to get noticed by AFL recruiters. So the standard would be even worse than now.
In the end its not 1965 any more. The NWFU, NTFA, TFL worked 40 years ago. Not now we have an AFL competition that must be fed raw meat each year.
BUT if AFL Tas keep wrecking clubs the way they are, then clubs may be forced back to regional football so they can survive.
Its a terrible position to be in. The clubs care about developing kids, they care about their history & their custody of it, they also have economic pressures to pay the bills. They need public support.
They dont need AFLTas to ignore all this.

Promotion and relegation has f###ed soccer. It's a relic from an ancient time in tiny countries with dense populations who didn't pay their players. Now, you've got half a dozen teams out of 92+, who are the only ones who can win the premiership in our lifetimes. The rest fight for the honour of getting smashed every week and demoted every second year, and get big payouts when they're axed because it softens the shock when they suddenly lose the big revenue streams of the EPL and the top journeyman players. In this system, you cannot fairly enforce either a draft, zones or a salary cap. No top league in Europe this year managed to get within two games of the season finish with an open title race, a total lack of competitiveness...the things that interest spectators are not based upon the final tables - it's all about rivalries, betting, the social atmosphere, the honour of sharing the stage with the big boys...if you're team is destined never to take out the flag and you already know this because you know how much the other team cost, will interest remain in the comp...? In Australia, we don't do this...

Introduce this, and say goodbye to teams who already struggle to stay afloat...

I defer to your greater knowledge. I must admit if its not Arsenal I don't normally watch or listen to anything thats happening over there.

Lets be honest, the current TSL is a joke. The average age of most clubs players is under 21. The sides that win flags in the afl has an average age of 25-26. There is an issue right there already.
Yes the comp is there to develop young players so they can be drafted. But the standard of the comp is terrible, Hobart and Devonport are in a really bad way, I am doubting that anymore than half a dozen players from both sides would make any other tsl club.

Deleting the reserves has made the competition even more of a joke as there are always battles to fill sides in the middle of the seasons. This should not be the case in the top league.

Also watching win news the other night a 15-16 year old lauderdale boy playing in the seniors (full credit to him) but this is not right he is under 60kg and is likely to be concussed or badly injured as he tiny. This should not be happening in the TSL.

I can honestly see the comp failing in the next year or 2. I know North L are unsure of what they are doing next year as they are not convinced there will be a TSL!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back