Remove this Banner Ad

Grendel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Spanish Announcers table
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gets underway shortly.

Predictions? Kosta probably inside three rounds. To strong, to quick.. just to damn good. Hatton has a lot of heart on what (limited) I've seen of him but looks primarily a grunt type. Wont be able to handle the step-up in class that Tszyu will bring to the ring.

But if Hatton is to have any chance, he will need to get through the opening two/three rounds and see if he can tough it out early. If he's capable of doing that... hhmmm. At 35 could get interesting if Kosta is made to go into later rounds.

Can't see it happening but with boxing.. all it takes is that one clean punch and everything can change just like that.

apparently hatton is fighting dirty and hanging on, and hasn't once been warned. i reckon the fight's over. hatton unanimous.

red+black said:
apparently hatton is fighting dirty and hanging on, and hasn't once been warned. i reckon the fight's over. hatton unanimous.
Hatton just punched Tszyu square in the balls, no warning

Grendel said:
Well... so much for what I know! Hatton wins, sounded like a helluva fight.
It was and awsome fight. Both Hatton and Tszyu really battled it out.

Tszyu hasnt ruled out going on, but i belevie its the end of the road for one of Australias best. :(

just got back from the pub, was a great fight (result aside), hatton just kept coming back at kostya the entire fight.

hatton was ahead early and wouldve won a couple rounds before kostya fought back in the middle, a low blow later seemed to stun kostya, dropped his arms and hatton got a few good hits in, wasnt the same man afterwards.

had hatton up by 2 points after the 11th, was very dissapointed kostya didnt come out to fight the twelth. People who had money on either fighter to win on points would be spewing.

champion fighter though, and heres hoping he continues on but i don't think he will. would love to see a rematch.

It was a great fight but I wish the ref had been a bit more stringent. Hatton wrestled Tszyu for half the fight trying to get in close and so often the ref let it go. He also let a low blow go from both and several rabbit punches as well. Thought he could've controlled the fight better. Great performance from Hatton, his plan was to get close & come at him and for the first 4 rounds he did that superbly. Tszyu did well to keep him at bay and pick off scoring opportunities between the flurries. In the 5th Round Tszyu found some space and got back into the fight and to my mind had the better of Rounds 5,6,7 & 8. Kostya was much more scientific about his scoring, Hatton threw way more punches but only scored on about half of them. Tszyu made his punches count much better. Rounds 9/10/11 were equally poised with both men getting some great shots in but not managing to put the other down. I was stunned that Kostya didn't answer the ref's call for the 12th Round given that he had finished off the 11th Round quite well and the fight was so close on points. I thought Hatton was only ahead by 1 or 2 and that Tszyu if he came home strong could get the points required to win or at least draw. I guess though the sustained attack from Hatton had taken its toll and Tszyu had nothing left to give. Terribly disappointing finish and hopefully that will not be the finishing note of Kostya Tszyu's career. He has been a fantastic champion for Australia and the Sport and he deserved a better finish than that. :( Fair play to Ricky Hatton though, great performance and he conducts himself very well. He'll be a top champion I'm sure.

Well done and congratulations to Hatton, BUT - his title is tainted by a deliberate punch in the bollocks to Kostya. I mean the guy would have possibly/probably won at any rate, but unless there is a rematch (which I don't think there will be) he is a tainted champion. Should have been DQ'ed, I doubt it could have been more deliberate - which is a shame because up until then I think he had earnt a lot of respect from the Aussie boxing public. Commentary was as biased as Eddie calling Collingwood, at least the beer was cold.

Commentry disgraceful never heard someone so biased made you think hatton was the only one out there fighting. Hatton on top early KT came back and started to look better boarderline body shot called a low blow had Hatton down thought KT was going to get on top and finish it until a deliberate low blow from Hatton completely changed the fight. Bad luck KT would like to see you have 1 more big pay day and finish on a high note.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Extremely disapointing effort by Tszyu. He flat out turned it up and embarassed himself. Freitas copped a hammering in the media for his quitting effort, but the poor guy took the mother of all beatings, being dropped a million times. Tszyu simply quit because, and I quote, "I was tired and behind". Simply not good enough in this sport.

His stock takes a huge dive based on this. similar to Durans "No Mas".

It was only Tszyus second genuinnly tough, "war" type fights, and both times he came up short. Typical of Eastern block guys tho, much similar to blacks, very gifted physically, but when the going gets really tough, will look for a way out.

If Tszyu was Latin they would disown him!

I really hope the aussie media berates him like they do to other guys. Anyone remember the pasting mitchell copped by so called aussie boxing media for his effort? Well, Tszyu was just as bad! Simply turned it up.

Imagine if Mundine had done that! The media frenzy would go on for years!!

Tszyu showed that deep down, he has the heart the size of a pea. You learn a lot more about guys when they lose, not when they win. Tszyu may be a respectful man blah blah, but he was exposed tonight against what I still consider a fairly limited fighter.

Mayweather will shut hatton out. Mark my words.

On the judges cards hatton was ahead 107-102,106-103 and 105-104. I had it it hatton 106-104 but I was really surprised Kostya quit, he still could have knocked hatton out, he has the power to.
I thought the ref did a poor job, theres no way an american ref would have let so much holding and clinching without breaking it up and giving a warning.

It will be interesting to see who Hatton fights next, Gatti would be a great fight. In the IBF rankings Juan Urango from Spain is next and he has fought nobody decent so Hatton might take him at home and get an easy payday. I dont think he will be able to take on the really top contenders like Mayweather and Cotto.

In the last 3 pay per view fights the big underdog has got up, Brewster at $3.05 Winky at 2.70 and Hatton at about 2.70, I wonder what McBride is paying this week....

Smokin said:
Extremely disapointing effort by Tszyu. He flat out turned it up and embarassed himself. Freitas copped a hammering in the media for his quitting effort, but the poor guy took the mother of all beatings, being dropped a million times. Tszyu simply quit because, and I quote, "I was tired and behind". Simply not good enough in this sport.

His stock takes a huge dive based on this. similar to Durans "No Mas".

It was only Tszyus second genuinnly tough, "war" type fights, and both times he came up short. Typical of Eastern block guys tho, much similar to blacks, very gifted physically, but when the going gets really tough, will look for a way out.

If Tszyu was Latin they would disown him!

I really hope the aussie media berates him like they do to other guys. Anyone remember the pasting mitchell copped by so called aussie boxing media for his effort? Well, Tszyu was just as bad! Simply turned it up.

Imagine if Mundine had done that! The media frenzy would go on for years!!

Tszyu showed that deep down, he has the heart the size of a pea. You learn a lot more about guys when they lose, not when they win. Tszyu may be a respectful man blah blah, but he was exposed tonight against what I still consider a fairly limited fighter.

Mayweather will shut hatton out. Mark my words.

Whilst I agree in part I think you are going too far smokin'.

At least Tszyu took some legitimate punishment, Duran just quit because he was being made fun of.

And Latinos would disown him? Yeah, the day they disown Duran and Chavez! Both quitters (though both did it past their primes I admit).

All the same I can't believe Tszyu quit, especially with a round to go. I agree this loss and his quitting effects his legacy big time and it's really disappointing.

It's hard to see him going down as an all time great now, losing to two good-to-very good fighters. At least Lewis avenged his losses to Rahman and McCall. I doubt Tszyu will fight again.

On another thing, whilst I don't agree that Tszyu has a pea heart, it certainly makes his statements ring hollow after his hyperbole about being willing to die in the ring and fighting on with broken legs and arms if need be.

Any of you guys think there will be a rematch? Or is Kostya's (aged 35) boxing career coming to an end?

I for one hope there is a rematch and hope its in Melbourne becuase I would love to go.

JohnF said:
Whilst I agree in part I think you are going too far smokin'.

At least Tszyu took some legitimate punishment, Duran just quit because he was being made fun of.

And Latinos would disown him? Yeah, the day they disown Duran and Chavez! Both quitters (though both did it past their primes I admit).

All the same I can't believe Tszyu quit, especially with a round to go. I agree this loss and his quitting effects his legacy big time and it's really disappointing.

It's hard to see him going down as an all time great now, losing to two good-to-very good fighters. At least Lewis avenged his losses to Rahman and McCall. I doubt Tszyu will fight again.

On another thing, whilst I don't agree that Tszyu has a pea heart, it certainly makes his statements ring hollow after his hyperbole about being willing to die in the ring and fighting on with broken legs and arms if need be.

Both Chavez and Duran were being humiliated and did quit for other reasons, but still both are riddiculed hugely, especially by their own. Both had ridiculously outstanding careers, but sadly both are now (maybe not chavez but Duran) are arguably known more for their "no mas" rather than their achievements with are both a million times longer than Tszyus.

Difference is Tszyu was not in a particuarly harsh war (it was a tough fight, but by boxing standards hardly the mother of all wars) and Tszyu was definitely in it. It basically came down to who wanted it more in that last round, and Tszyu didnt even give himself the chance.

Have you seen Freitas' last effort? Bombarded by the masses for doing the same thing, yet copped at least 5 times the punishment Tszyu did. The guy was knocked down repeatidly, and had no hope of winning that fight. Tszyu simply dogged it when it got tough.

Yea Tszyu says he would die in the ring blah blah. I agree it makes a mockery of his own talk. People spend too much time worrying about the crap fighters say, and not what they actually do.

Take Judah and Tszyu for simply an example. Most will say Zabs a punk and Tszyus a genltleman. Maybe. But inside the ring where it matters, right now I have more respect for Judah than Tszyu. Zab has avenged a loss by going to the backyard of his nemisis and knocking him out in a fight he was an underdog in. Just taking that fight took guts - all done in the next division up from his longtime stay at 140. Tszyu never attempted to avenge his first loss, and has already stated he doesnt want to fight hatton again. Judah might be a classless punk, but when push comes to shove, he has definitley shown admirable qualities that many fighters simply dont possess.

I simply hate double standards in boxing.

Again, someone tell me if Im lying. If Mundine quit on his stool like that, the aussie media would crucify him. I guarantee you Tszyu will escape this basically insult free.

And on Duran and Chavez. Both were known clearly as absolute, ultimate warriors throughout most of their careers, especially their primes. Yet still, both had their legacies effected due to turning it up when both were well past their primes.

I am struggling to remember a fight were Tszyu battled through genuine adversary and pulled out a win. A win which needed genuine heart and guts. Im not sure he has had one. The phillips fight was a tough war, but Tszyu came up short.

In short, Duran and Chavez although had their legacies effected, were proven in the heart department. Im not sure Tszyu is/was.

Smokin said:
Both Chavez and Duran were being humiliated and did quit for other reasons, but still both are riddiculed hugely, especially by their own. Both had ridiculously outstanding careers, but sadly both are now (maybe not chavez but Duran) are arguably known more for their "no mas" rather than their achievements with are both a million times longer than Tszyus.

Difference is Tszyu was not in a particuarly harsh war (it was a tough fight, but by boxing standards hardly the mother of all wars) and Tszyu was definitely in it. It basically came down to who wanted it more in that last round, and Tszyu didnt even give himself the chance.

Have you seen Freitas' last effort? Bombarded by the masses for doing the same thing, yet copped at least 5 times the punishment Tszyu did. The guy was knocked down repeatidly, and had no hope of winning that fight. Tszyu simply dogged it when it got tough.

Yea Tszyu says he would die in the ring blah blah. I agree it makes a mockery of his own talk. People spend too much time worrying about the crap fighters say, and not what they actually do.

Take Judah and Tszyu for simply an example. Most will say Zabs a punk and Tszyus a genltleman. Maybe. But inside the ring where it matters, right now I have more respect for Judah than Tszyu. Zab has avenged a loss by going to the backyard of his nemisis and knocking him out in a fight he was an underdog in. Just taking that fight took guts - all done in the next division up from his longtime stay at 140. Tszyu never attempted to avenge his first loss, and has already stated he doesnt want to fight hatton again. Judah might be a classless punk, but when push comes to shove, he has definitley shown admirable qualities that many fighters simply dont possess.

I simply hate double standards in boxing.

Again, someone tell me if Im lying. If Mundine quit on his stool like that, the aussie media would crucify him. I guarantee you Tszyu will escape this basically insult free.

Duran and Chavez are judged harshly for quitting but I'm sure that if you went to Panama or Mexico they would still be regarded as national heroes and both are still regarded as all-time greats by all. But yeah, both did have way more accomplishments than Tszyu in their careers and came through in wars showing heart.

Tszyu hasn't really prevailed in any all out wars and has always struggled against guys that can take his punch but that doesn't take away from the fact that he has beaten a lot of good fighters. Whilst it certainly casts a question mark over his all-time standing, this shouldn't be forgotten.

Yeah I saw Freitas-Coralles. I guess guys like Freitas are always going to cop more flack for quitting becuase they are regarded as 'runners' whereas Tszyu gets a lot of respect for his come forward, stand your ground style of fighting.

(By the way, just on Coralles, I thought he did the next thing worse to quitting by spitting out his mouthguard twice against Castillo. Pharken disgraceful.)

And on Mundine and Zab, people just love bagging punks and would use any excuse to have a go at them. Agree it's double standards though.

I still can't believe that Tszyu would quit though. At least in the Phillips fight he went out on his feet. I never expected this.

JohnF said:
Tszyu hasn't really prevailed in any all out wars and has always struggled against guys that can take his punch but that doesn't take away from the fact that he has beaten a lot of good fighters. Whilst it certainly casts a question mark over his all-time standing, this shouldn't be forgotten.

Never said it shoud be forgotton. Simply effects his legacy in a negative way.

Tszyu was probably lucky he never did, or had to, meet a real "A" level guy in his prime throughout his career. His record is full of solid guys no doubt, but he never beat anybody who was a genuine top 10 p4per or A level. I guess Trinidad can be accused of this too, bar perhaps Vargas, his best win. I dont rate Vargas an "A" level fighter tho.

I guess everyone was asking why Tszyu never decided to move up and test himself. I have always suspected this, and as you said, when somebody has shown they can take his power shots, Tszyu seems to have little else.

at 147, Tszyu will have struggled. Would have liked to see him test himself though. Seriously Test himself is something Tszyu never really wanted to do IMO.

NakedDeadGuy said:
Well done and congratulations to Hatton, BUT - his title is tainted by a deliberate punch in the bollocks to Kostya.

Which I think you'll find came after the ref had warned Tszyu for a low blow of his own, do you think maybe Hatton was sending out the warning not to try any of that stuff again?

I mean the guy would have possibly/probably won at any rate, but unless there is a rematch (which I don't think there will be) he is a tainted champion. Should have been DQ'ed, I doubt it could have been more deliberate - which is a shame because up until then I think he had earnt a lot of respect from the Aussie boxing public.

DQ'd? get real, as for respect from the Aussie boxing public, why does he need that, he had hardly any before his fight, I came on here a while back talking about a potential Hatton/Tszyu fight & everyone was saying how overrated & average Hatton was & how Tszyu would murder him but needn't even take the fight but instead should fight somebody worthy of getting in the saem ring as him, I gave up trying to tell them how Hatton was a genuine threat to Tszyu.

DIPPER said:
DQ'd? get real, as for respect from the Aussie boxing public, why does he need that, he had hardly any before his fight, I came on here a while back talking about a potential Hatton/Tszyu fight & everyone was saying how overrated & average Hatton was & how Tszyu would murder him but needn't even take the fight but instead should fight somebody worthy of getting in the saem ring as him, I gave up trying to tell them how Hatton was a genuine threat to Tszyu.

Sad aint it?
their only half decent boxer was russian .lmao
Hell will freeze over before these jokers produce a top homegrown boxer.
They actually think that "aussie respect" counts for something.
delusional or what!!!

Nel Mangle said:
Sad aint it?
delusional or what!!!

I actually watched the fight - and was hugely impressed with Hatton.
Hatton (apart from rounds 6 & 7) dominated the Russian (sorry - I mean Aussie :eek: ) the entire night.

I actually think that Tszyu was a breathe of fresh air in Aussie Sport i.e. pretty modest in victory and defeat. Unfortunately - I see that some of his "countrymen" haven't evolved much in this area. :rolleyes:

I am actually trying to think of great Aussie Boxers. I get stuck at Bugner . Anyone? :confused:

Nel Mangle said:
Sad aint it?

lmfaooo@the pot having a go at the kettle. How is Lennox Lewis nowadays? Is he living in Canada again or what?

delusional or what!!!

Heard of Jeff Fenech? Better than any pom you've produced in the last 20 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back