TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably not. Not until daylight savings kicks back out. The 2am games are a killer now and it's not like we're broadcast every weekend.

Isn't that the appeal of having it though? You can watch the games the next morning if you avoid spoilers.

Plus you get the highlights show which I always enjoyed on Bein.

I've also found going to sleep around 10/11 and waking up at 1.55 for the 2am game then back to sleep after the game I can be up around 7-8 and feel no ill effects from it. Much better.

Isn't that the appeal of having it though? You can watch the games the next morning if you avoid spoilers.

Plus you get the highlights show which I always enjoyed on Bein.

I've also found going to sleep around 10/11 and waking up at 1.55 for the 2am game then back to sleep after the game I can be up around 7-8 and feel no ill effects from it. Much better.
I've never been able to avoid scores. If it's there to be seen, I want to know what's happened.

Highlights show is definitely good.

Haha much better for now, wait until the little one arrives. Makes it nigh on impossible.

I've never been able to avoid scores. If it's there to be seen, I want to know what's happened.

Highlights show is definitely good.

Haha much better for now, wait until the little one arrives. Makes it nigh on impossible.

Even if you get up first thing in the morning and chuck the game on? How hard is it not to use your phone for 90 minutes? :tearsofjoy:

Wouldn't that make it easier? I hear babies need feeding during the night. ;)

wtf is this from Optus Sports' website.
GAm7Xb6aAAAfUqp

When are the PL rights up for renewal?

It makes sense whoever buys the Socceroos/Matildas/A League/A League 2 rights to also package it with the PL. Nothing beats the good old days when you could park yourself in the front of the TV Saturday arvo at 5. Watch 2 A League games with Matchday Saturday rolling into the early PL game.

Even if you get up first thing in the morning and chuck the game on? How hard is it not to use your phone for 90 minutes? :tearsofjoy:

Wouldn't that make it easier? I hear babies need feeding during the night. ;)
Oh you poor naive soul ;) They do but trust me, you'll want every bit of sleep you can get in haha.

My boy is also breastfed so I can't even help with the night feeds and I'm still exhausted 90% of the time.

When are the PL rights up for renewal?

It makes sense whoever buys the Socceroos/Matildas/A League/A League 2 rights to also package it with the PL. Nothing beats the good old days when you could park yourself in the front of the TV Saturday arvo at 5. Watch 2 A League games with Matchday Saturday rolling into the early PL game.
I'd be staggered if they didn't remain with Optus.

Oh you poor naive soul ;) They do but trust me, you'll want every bit of sleep you can get in haha.

My boy is also breastfed so I can't even help with the night feeds and I'm still exhausted 90% of the time.

As someone who regularly runs on <4 hours sleep I think I'll manage haha.

As someone who regularly runs on <4 hours sleep I think I'll manage haha.
Wtf do you do that for haha.

Only personal experience but it's not the hours overnight that necessarily make me tired, it's the hours after work when they need your constant attention (and the wife needs a rest) that I struggle with the most. Especially as he's getting older and he's far more attentive and energetic haha.

I'd be staggered if they didn't remain with Optus.

That'll depend on the beancounters at Optus I guess and the shareholders over in singapore.

I wonder how the COGS work out for Optus on the PL rights. It was extended in 2021 up until 2027 at $100 million a year.

Let's assume the majority of subscribers unsubscribe for June/July so 10 months a year. At $24.99 monthly (or $249.99 yearly) Optus needs 400,000 full fee paying subscribers yearly to cover the cost of TV rights (excluding La Liga, K / J League, WSL, Euro 24 rights which probably cost buttons).

In this scenario all of their profit would come from advertising.

Sub numbers seem to vary from my research but an accurate number seems to be around the 7-800k number total with around 40% paying $7 a month as Optus customers. On that basis they would be making a slight profit on subs from paying TV rights which must surely be eaten up with the significant cost of running a streaming service that needs to almost always work reliably and seamlessly.

The only variable that is unknown is advertising income. Is Optus Sports an attractive package for advertisers? Most content is screened in the middle of the night. No advertising allowed during the game except at half time. I'm no marketing expert but that doesn't seem to be the most attractive platform to advertise on.

To me Optus need to diversify and expand not just in football but into other sports to be a serious player in the game and profitable. They should be going all out for the next A League / Socceroos / Matildas / A League 2 deal which gets them exposed onto prime time TV. Should be making a play for either NBL or big bash also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Optus should be the home of football. They only have EPL and LaLiga as the only top flight leagues in Europe and not the national teams/A-Leagues/AFC rights.

So why should they?

So why should they?

To take on and eclipse Kayo.

Needs more than just one sport for that. For example Foxtel's NBL deal is up next year, Optus should be targeting that. More local content in prime time is needed, A League/A League 2/Socceroos / Matildas is a bit of a nobrainer on that one. Paramount + deal is up in 2026 - with all the negativity around that deal perhaps they would be willing to negotiate a deal to finish up a year early.

Needs more than just one sport for that. For example Foxtel's NBL deal is up next year, Optus should be targeting that. More local content in prime time is needed, A League/A League 2/Socceroos / Matildas is a bit of a nobrainer on that one. Paramount + deal is up in 2026 - with all the negativity around that deal perhaps they would be willing to negotiate a deal to finish up a year early.

That wasn't the question I was asking though.

My perfect world is different to your perfect world, which is different to SM’s, which is different to Jatz etc…

Adding more bloat (imo) means increased cost (to me). I don’t care for NBL, A-League etc. People constantly complain - to this day - how expensive Foxtel is. The fact is (unfortunately), the genie is out of the bottle, and nothing will bring it back. If Foxtel magically got all the rights back, the cost to purchase would most likely double.

Its akin to the old days, where people would complain about tiered packages… “I don’t watch Fox Arena or Cartoon Network…why should I pay for them?”

Personally, I want Premier League, Champions League (Europa only when we’re in it), Cup games (we are in), AFL, Cricket, Red Sox games and Storm games.

Some company needs to work on that for me, and make it cheap as chips, with an account I can share with 6 others…

My perfect world is different to your perfect world, which is different to SM’s, which is different to Jatz etc…

Adding more bloat (imo) means increased cost (to me). I don’t care for NBL, A-League etc. People constantly complain - to this day - how expensive Foxtel is. The fact is (unfortunately), the genie is out of the bottle, and nothing will bring it back. If Foxtel magically got all the rights back, the cost to purchase would most likely double.

Its akin to the old days, where people would complain about tiered packages… “I don’t watch Fox Arena or Cartoon Network…why should I pay for them?”

Personally, I want Premier League, Champions League (Europa only when we’re in it), Cup games (we are in), AFL, Cricket, Red Sox games and Storm games.

Some company needs to work on that for me, and make it cheap as chips, with an account I can share with 6 others…

That's why Foxtel brought out Kayo, a sports only sub.

Optus Sports needs to be targeting Kayo if it wants to be sustainable and profitable long term. And that is going to require Australian based content that is on at a normal hour - whether some subscribers like it or not. This is where the advertising dollars will come in. Advertisers are not that interested in 2am games watched by 20 to 30 thousand viewers that only allows advertising at half time intervals and pre / post game.

NBL is gettable for Optus Sports. AFL isn't. I'm not sure what the BBL rights deal is but that's only a short term competition. It certainly would add value to Optus Sports and establish it as a genuine player in the sports streaming industry.

In an ideal world Optus Sports should be able to have on board:

Premier League
Women's Super League
La Liga
Serie A
UEFA Competitions
A League / Al League 2 / W League / Socceroos / Matildas
NBL
BBL
UEFA international games

Now that becomes a real competitor to Kayo and possibly eclipses it. I can only imagine advertisers would be more likely to engage on this too with the prime time / local content being the biggest driver of advertising revenue.

As mentioned in a previous post looking at the numbers I don't see Optus Sports as it is being profitable for Optus. At some stage you have to imagine shareholders in Singapore will eventually have a say on that.

The next PL rights deal will have to include EFL rights as well I think I read, so that eliminates Bein from the conversation at least.

That's a nice little cherry on top. I don't imagine EFL fixtures would garner too many subscribers though would it by themselves? Apart from a few die hard Hull fans in Sydney haha

I believe Amazon just won the rights to ICC tournaments going forward (T20, ODI world cups etc). It’s only going to get more fractured before it gets *better.

Meanwhile, Foxtel is looking to launch an aggregator service called Hubbl, where you roll your subs into one bill/interface…

I believe Amazon just won the rights to ICC tournaments going forward (T20, ODI world cups etc). It’s only going to get more fractured before it gets *better.

Meanwhile, Foxtel is looking to launch an aggregator service called Hubbl, where you roll your subs into one bill/interface…

ODI world cup Aussie games will always be on FTA. The other games may go to Prime but who cares about watching Netherlands vs Sri Lanka at the 2027 WC.

FFS I was discussing this with a mate who's an IT guru about this being an app idea.........

TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back