TV series you are watching

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're a fan of the Philip Pullman novels, then His Dark Materials (S1&2) is very good.

I’ve circled back to thus as it’s on Binge and I never cancelled my subscription after finishing Mare.

I’m very impressed. I have never read the books, but I note the author (Pullman) is an executive producer on the series and it shows. Writing is tight. Characters’ motivations and choices either make sense or are deliberately unclear. Story progressing at the right pace. Writers made sure that we have reason to genuinely care about the characters. Stellar cast too, with James McAvoy and Ruth Wilson.

Glad to have a season and a half left to go of this one.

I don't know how you got so far with it. I also don't know why, in order to have a multifaceted female lead, Hollywood necessitates that she be a total ****. She was interesting enough with her intelligence, feistiness and anxiety, without her having to sleep with the subject of her investigation within five minutes.
I somehow missed this series but have binge watched it in the last week of this lockdown and am up to Series 3 episode 2. I am also about to cease watching any further episodes and am disgusted with myself for having watched this far into the show. The whole idea that a woman with bi-polar who is screwing the terrorist she is investigating could be a highly regarded intelligence agent is mind blowingly stupid. Her total lack of self control, her emotional instability and outbursts and her inability to follow orders even when risking the lives of her colleagues adds to her incredulous characterisation. I could go on criticising this show and its characters but can think of better ways to spend my life even with so little to occupy my life during this sixth lockdown. This show is just unadulterated crap. The fact I got so far with it is an indication of how little I have to profitably occupy this extensive period of forced isolation.

I’ve circled back to thus as it’s on Binge and I never cancelled my subscription after finishing Mare.

I’m very impressed. I have never read the books, but I note the author (Pullman) is an executive producer on the series and it shows. Writing is tight. Characters’ motivations and choices either make sense or are deliberately unclear. Story progressing at the right pace. Writers made sure that we have reason to genuinely care about the characters. Stellar cast too, with James McAvoy and Ruth Wilson.

Glad to have a season and a half left to go of this one.
How do you watch Binge? Is it an app like Netflix that you download on Smart TV?

I somehow missed this series but have binge watched it in the last week of this lockdown and am up to Series 3 episode 2. I am also about to cease watching any further episodes and am disgusted with myself for having watched this far into the show. The whole idea that a woman with bi-polar who is screwing the terrorist she is investigating could be a highly regarded intelligence agent is mind blowingly stupid. Her total lack of self control, her emotional instability and outbursts and her inability to follow orders even when risking the lives of her colleagues adds to her incredulous characterisation. I could go on criticising this show and its characters but can think of better ways to spend my life even with so little to occupy my life during this sixth lockdown. This show is just unadulterated crap. The fact I got so far with it is an indication of how little I have to profitably occupy this extensive period of forced isolation.
Amen, brother, glad to hear I’m not alone on Homeland.

How do you watch Binge? Is it an app like Netflix that you download on Smart TV?
Yep exactly that. It’s aligned with Foxtel, and has a lot of their serials and movies without the sport and pay-per-view stuff.

Killing Eve was amazing. Vikings i know you probably know. The League of Gentlemen - the English comedy series.. first 3 are insaneeeeeeeeeeee
Why Women Kill is not bad either. First series was a bit bettr that the latest one.

Not TV but watched the movie Reminisense with Hugh Jackson last night, I was a bit disappointed.

Why Women Kill is not bad either. First series was a bit bettr that the latest one.

Not TV but watched the movie Reminisense with Hugh Jackson last night, I was a bit disappointed.
Yeah me and the good lady Torpedo both really liked Why Women kill as well. I watched a movie called Idiocracy this week. Hits close to the bone with how stupid people, especially USA are getting..

Yeah me and the good lady Torpedo both really liked Why Women kill as well. I watched a movie called Idiocracy this week. Hits close to the bone with how stupid people, especially USA are getting..
Haven't seen that one, will check it out.
Another one I am going to watch is Suicide Squad, looks funny. Although not when the top of heads are slashed and bloody.

Maggie, I dont think I've ever seen a good movie with Hugh Jackman in it (that's who you mean?). Awful actor. Last time I tried to sit through one of his films, I gave up and left the cinema half way through, it was that bad. And it was 43 degrees outside - which I preferred to Hugh!

Maggie, I dont think I've ever seen a good movie with Hugh Jackman in it (that's who you mean?). Awful actor. Last time I tried to sit through one of his films, I gave up and left the cinema half way through, it was that bad. And it was 43 degrees outside - which I preferred to Hugh!
I didn't mind the X Men movies but I like SciFi and super hero movies.

The Prestige? I enjoyed that. Also he was good in Prisoners with Jake Gyllenhaal but the movie was pretty bleak…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enjoyed the 3 seasons of Start Up on Netflix.

The beauty of these streaming platforms is it gives such programs that didn't attract massive mainstream attention when on TV at the time a second crack, good example of a show that hard more to give prior to cancellation in 2018.

Enjoyed the 3 seasons of Start Up on Netflix.

The beauty of these streaming platforms is it gives such programs that didn't attract massive mainstream attention when on TV at the time a second crack, good example of a show that hard more to give prior to cancellation in 2018.
I have been considering exiting Netflix and trying Stan beginning with their one month trial. I have picked the eyes out of Netflix and my last experience with Homeland kind of turned me off wading into a multi season series. I will never forgive myself for watching 2 seasons of it. I got an episode into Start Up because I like Martin Freedman but didn't go back. Maybe I will give it another look before I make the switch.

I have been considering exiting Netflix and trying Stan beginning with their one month trial. I have picked the eyes out of Netflix and my last experience with Homeland kind of turned me off wading into a multi season series. I will never forgive myself for watching 2 seasons of it. I got an episode into Start Up because I like Martin Freedman but didn't go back. Maybe I will give it another look before I make the switch.
Not wrong r.e over-doing Netflix.

To avoid such issues I try and take something in every now & then thats well and truly out of my usual viewing patterns, can often lead to the odd nugget of gold.

Would stick with Start Up for a good 4-5 episodes. It gathers pace.

Not wrong r.e over-doing Netflix.

To avoid such issues I try and take something in every now & then thats well and truly out of my usual viewing patterns, can often lead to the odd nugget of gold.

Would stick with Start Up for a good 4-5 episodes. It gathers pace.
I really liked Messiah which was just a random pick. Liked it Enough to watch it a second time 6 months later. Don't know anyone else who liked it. The Serpent I enjoyed, but I had a good knowledge of Charles Sobhraj. You're right about diving in and trying out something different. Though like owning shares, you've got to know when to get out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back