Unrestricted Free Agent Tyson Stengle [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe not Essendon if they don't feel it's a need but someone will.
Small Forwards are fast becoming a huge asset in football and AA players don't grow on trees.

If he's saying he wants to join your club as an UFA and wants 700k minimum you're saying no?
If his current trajectory continues?

Yes.

Blues have the worst small forwards in the league and 2 key forwards who bring the ball to ground as well as anyone, should be throwing whatever cash we have at him if he's open to a move.

However, can't see why he would leave unless the Cats miss finals again and look to be going into a bit of a rebuild/refresh period.

What do you think he is currently being paid and what will Geelong offer this time around?
Based on current contract as he was picked up as a Delisted Free Agent i'd assume probably close to 100k?
Cats never overpay for anyone so doubt him getting offered more than 450k-500k by Cats although that will depend on what others offer.

New CBA means 700-800k is not the same value as it once was so could see someone wanting to compete bringing him in as a finishing piece to the puzzle.

Last edited:
Based on current contract as he was picked up as a Delisted Free Agent i'd assume probably close to 100k?
Cats never overpay for anyone so doubt him getting offered more than 450k-500k by Cats although that will depend on what others offer.

New CBA means 700-800k is not the same value as it once was so could see someone wanting to compete bringing him in as a finishing piece to the puzzle.
I would think 6-700 is the market rate for a player like him. 50 goals in a season and AA. Might be enough for someone to pry him out. Geelong have enough depth in that position to let him go if that’s the way it falls.

Why would he leave Geelong?
They have helped him to be the best player he can be.
They just need to give him a decent contract and he should stay.
Now replace Geelong with GWS & Stengle with Hogan.

Why? This is the Stengle thread.
Exactly the same sentiment though.

Both clubs were the absolute best fit for them when they arrived.

Hope Tyson stays the same Jesse stays at the Giants

He's way more valuable at other clubs than he is at Geelong. We've got Close and Miers who I think are on a comparable levels, now Dempsey is showing a bit. Stengle is the oldest of them and super valuable but for Geelong I think a bit of a luxury.
I agree

Fogarty Mckay Motlop
Stengle Curnow Martin

Plz

He's way more valuable at other clubs than he is at Geelong. We've got Close and Miers who I think are on a comparable levels, now Dempsey is showing a bit. Stengle is the oldest of them and super valuable but for Geelong I think a bit of a luxury.

Depends on what we get back in return.
I agree with mannagh and dempsey doing well the forward line is our strongest area so we could afford to lose him.
If we are only getting a late 2nd in compo or no compo at all (that would be the scenario if we brought another FA in) then its not a win whereas if we were going to get band 1 or 2 compo and we knew we were using that pick on a quality mid (could be smith could be someone else) then id be ok if he goes as it would be a net win.

But hes a very good player.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with mannagh and dempsey doing well the forward line is our strongest area so we could afford to lose him.
If we are only getting a late 2nd in compo or no compo at all (that would be the scenario if we brought another FA in) whereas if we were going to get band 1 or 2 compo and we knew we were using that pick on a quality mid (could be smith could be someone else) then id be ok if he goes as it would be a net win.

This

How does it work with UFA? Do they still provide compo?

If we are only getting a late 2nd in compo or no compo at all (that would be the scenario if we brought another FA in) whereas if we were going to get band 1 or 2 compo and we knew we were using that pick on a quality mid (could be smith could be someone else) then id be ok if he goes as it would be a net win.

That’s about where I sit. I don’t see any scenario where we get what he’s worth in compo, but equally, I see a lot of scenarios where we are simply priced out of re-signing him.

This

Yes, we get compo but with the new EBA past compo valuation as a guide can almost be thrown out the window.

He’s a better player than Motlop was when he left and we got (rather controversially) end of first round compo. I would therefore expect similar but it really depends on the specific contract he’s offered and most importantly the length.

This

all previously delisted players are ufa nor rfa so you cant match an offer.

But you still get compo between band 1 to 5 depending on what contract $ they get at the new club (unless you bring in an FA yourself which cancels out the compo pick).

That’s about where I sit. I don’t see any scenario where we get what he’s worth in compo, but equally, I see a lot of scenarios where we are simply priced out of re-signing him.

We have stacks of cap space with retirements coming so we could easily give him even 800k.
So i disagree in the strict sense of us being priced out the issue is it would go against our salary policy to offer that even though we can afford it.

Besides because we cant match an offer it really doesnt matter what $ we offer its more about if he wants to stay.

But i can see a net win or break even if he leaves and we turn it into a good mid.

We have stacks of cap space with retirements coming so we could easily give him even 800k.
So i disagree in the strict sense of us being priced out the issue is it would go against our salary policy to offer that even though we can afford it.

Besides because we cant match an offer it really doesnt matter what $ we offer its more about if he wants to stay.

But i can see a net win or break even if he leaves and we turn it into a good mid.

Priced out as in a team that is desperate for scoreboard impact overpays. We aren’t desperate.

Yes, we get compo but with the new EBA past compo valuation as a guide can almost be thrown out the window.

He’s a better player than Motlop was when he left and we got (rather controversially) end of first round compo. I would therefore expect similar but it really depends on the specific contract he’s offered and most importantly the length.
The part of the Motlop scenario that is similar is that it was on the back of increases to the cap. He'll be paid the new contract in dollars from a bigger cap while the bands are measured against existing contracts in the lower cap. Don't know that he'll be getting an Isaac Rankin type contract though.

He'll be more valuable than the pick we get in return. You can take that to the bank.

Priced out as in a team that is desperate for scoreboard impact overpays. We aren’t desperate.

Fair point and i can see a club in the window doing that.
My point was more its not an issue of we cant afford high $ for him because we can.

I agree

Fogarty Mckay Motlop
Stengle Curnow Martin

Plz

That’s what hurts. The impact Stengle has at the feet of Curnow and McKay is obvious and filling a deficiency. With good players in important positions for Carlton this would be one of the last pieces of the puzzle. Geelong on the other hand, the small forward cup overflows but there’s a desperately need to find a midfield extractor and ruckmen.

Fair point and i can see a club in the window doing that.
My point was more its not an issue of we cant afford high $ for him because we can.
Yeah I don’t think people realise how much cap Geelong will have in the offseason. Especially with retirements incoming.

That’s why we haven’t been priced out on Holmes and have been linked to being able to get Smith, Oliver etc

That’s what hurts. The impact Stengle has at the feet of Curnow and McKay is obvious and filling a deficiency. With good players in important positions for Carlton this would be one of the last pieces of the puzzle. Geelong on the other hand, the small forward cup overflows with a desperately need to find a midfield extractor and ruckmen.
You need to watch Toby Conway play against Hawks. We have a generational ruck coming through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back