• Canberra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ACT.... uhhh, is there "Other'"?

• TAS - Other

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're forgetting he has two teenage sons and a wife who are all happily settled in Sydney... bet they don't want to swap Bondi for North Melbourne!!!

Melbourne is better than sydney i reckon as a city

Yes but the Eastern suburbs in Sydney are just about the nicest joint anywhere in Australia.

Still gotta get around that rat maze

Melbourne is more logically laid out better transport

Less smell etc

Less smell etc

When I was in Sydney I stayed in Coogee and don’t think I left that neck of the woods the entire two weeks I was there. It was that nice. Melbourne is just a city.

When I was in Sydney I stayed in Coogee and don’t think I left that neck of the woods the entire two weeks I was there. It was that nice. Melbourne is just a city.

Melbourne you get around everywhere easily though

Sydney like you say you stay where you are

People aren’t very friendly

Don’t give a stuff about sport etc

The difference for me is summed up in the old crims estimate of the two cities. You go to Sydney for the dough - Melbourne for the mates.

Less smell etc
Having spent much of the last 3 months in Melbourne I have to disagree. I know there's a lot of Melboune people on this board but my impression of the place is far from flattering. Better transport? The train lines seem to be permanently under maintenance, been like it for years. Trams are good though.

Having spent much of the last 3 months in Melbourne I have to disagree. I know there's a lot of Melboune people on this board but my impression of the place is far from flattering. Better transport? The train lines seem to be permanently under maintenance, been like it for years. Trams are good though.

I’m half stirring

Melbourne just suits me better personal preference more sporty

I just find the smell of urine annoying in Sydney plus way too crowded and confusing for a simple tassie boy

They love their sport, just not everyone's into afl.

I’m half stirring

Melbourne just suits me better personal preference more sporty

I just find the smell of urine annoying in Sydney plus way too crowded and confusing for a simple tassie boy
People go to the city to work in Sydney or for a day out, they don't live there ( that's changing though) very different in Melbourne. We still have surburan grounds for rugby and rugby league at the elite level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People go to the city to work in Sydney or for a day out, they don't live there ( that's changing though) very different in Melbourne. We still have surburan grounds for rugby and rugby league at the elite level.

Yeah true

Just find the layout odd like there was no planning

I have followed the Bloods in both cities. In Sydney sport is entertainment. In Melbourne its life.
Pfft. Go to Jubilee oval, Leichart, Brookvale oval. Just as passionate fans as anywhere. the Melbourne afl teams are neighbouring suburbs; Carlton, Richmond, Hawks, Melbourne, North, Swans, etc, the league and union teams are spread far and wide across city, hence the suburban grounds which I love.

Pfft. Go to Jubilee oval, Leichart, Brookvale oval. Just as passionate fans as anywhere. the Melbourne afl teams are neighbouring suburbs; Carlton, Richmond, Hawks, Melbourne, North, Swans, etc, the league and union teams are spread far and wide across city, hence the suburban grounds which I love.
I am also an old Western Suburbs Magpies follower. It died for me when we took on the basket weavers from Balmain. The Souths mob are the closest club to a Melbourne tribal crowd. The Chooks? Spare me.

I am also an old Western Suburbs Magpies follower. It died for me when we took on the basket weavers from Balmain. The Souths mob are the closest club to a Melbourne tribal crowd. The Chooks? Spare me.
Can't get more blue collar than Balmain back in the day. Walking round those parts and Paddington you had to look out for yourself. How times have changed. The team that was reamed the most with all that super league crap was the Bears, Manly and the league shafted them big time. Anyway, this is an aussie rules forum, don't want to make bedders cranky.

Last edited:
Sydney for me, beaches and blue water as opposed to smog, syringes and brown water!
I used to sit at my desk at school and look down to Bronte beach before the ocean outlet sewage system was installed, you didn't want to swim there Mick if things went wrong. Malabar as well, Disgusting.

I used to sit at my desk at school and look down to Bronte beach before the ocean outlet sewage system was installed, you didn't want to swim there Mick if things went wrong. Malabar as well, Disgusting.
Yeah Kap, but you wouldn’t want to swim anywhere in Melbourne!

Lived just under half of my life in Melbourne and the rest in Sydney.

Overall Melbourne is the better city for a passionate football supporter and I have always missed it since leaving. Little things like the media coverage, chucking SEN on in the car, going to the MCG every week, watching the VAFA etc.

Other than the AFL aspect, then they are fairly similar. The biggest difference is that Melbourne feels a bit more organized with the grid layout of the city and fairly flat terrain as it expands to the suburbs. Sydney is a bit of an adventure with the inlets of the harbor creating all sorts of traffic headaches.

People are the same wherever you go imo. Each city has a nice % of dickheads. Likewise city beaches are normally ordinary because of pollution or over crowding. I'd much rather hop in the car for an hour and drive around Port Phillip Bay for VIC or up to the Central Coast for NSW.

Overall they are both great cities and I'd happily live in either.

Exactly, i'd rather stay where I am if it's nice! Melbourne is dull which is why you need to get around everywhere or you'll go out of your mind. I guess it depends whether you want excitement or leisure. More of a leisure fan myself

Back