Unpopular opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s a doozy. I can see your reasoning though.
Yeah I know it's controversial, and bordering on nuffy, but Macrae concerns me sometimes.

I just don't think we have a good balance with him, Dunks and Bont all in the one midfield. Too tall and slow, not enough impact per disposal with him and Dunks

Honestly, I believe if Wallis hadn't had multiple long stretches out of the game, he could've been our captain at some point

Maybe Wallis - depended on form/consistency. I can certainly see Mitch aiming for the captaincy as a career achievement.

As much as I hate to say it, Bont's appointment reminds me a bit of the Griffen appointment. Now Bont's not a sniveling wimp like Griffen, but I don't see Bont putting his hand up for the captaincy. I think Bont never aimed for captaincy and would have been happy to just play his own game rather than worry about the captaincy role. Your best player is not necessarily best for captain. I think Easton would have been disappointed & I got the feeling it wasn't succession planning as a 'seemed like a good idea at the time' sudden decision.

Maybe Wallis - depended on form/consistency. I can certainly see Mitch aiming for the captaincy as a career achievement.

As much as I hate to say it, Bont's appointment reminds me a bit of the Griffen appointment. Now Bont's not a sniveling wimp like Griffen, but I don't see Bont putting his hand up for the captaincy. I think Bont never aimed for captaincy and would have been happy to just play his own game rather than worry about the captaincy role. Your best player is not necessarily best for captain. I think Easton would have been disappointed & I got the feeling it wasn't succession planning as a 'seemed like a good idea at the time' sudden decision.
Totally disagree. Bont seems to me the type of guy that wants to be the man. I also think all of the players feel good about the decision.

Totally disagree. Bont seems to me the type of guy that wants to be the man. I also think all of the players feel good about the decision.
That's what this thread is for

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Cal Porter, Lachie Young, Jordon Sweet - these are the types we should have in our side by next year. Late picks, Young and Sweet both drafted as overage rookies, and all have a bit of prick in them. We have a midfield full of softcocks (except Bailey Smith) and we can't carry that going forward. On that note, how's this for an unpopular opinion:
  • Jackson Macrae being traded would be a net win for the club.
I've stated to notice this in a number of games, but Macrae accumulates without ever causing any real damage to the opposition. He constantly goes for bullet passes that just dribble along the ground half the time (the other half he pulls them off with perfection, but can't have a 50/50 player getting the ball that much when we already have Hunter). With Dunkley's rise and addition to the leadership group, we now have 3 big bodied mids who lack genuine mongrel, and Macrae is definitely, without doubt, the softest of the 3. Losing him would net an enormous trade return, big cap space, and most importantly would free up space in the midfield to add a guy like Rhylee West or Cal Porter eventually.

I'd get rid of Dunkley before Macrae. Dunks got heaps of credit last year but Macrae was the one playing on the oppositions best mid, staying behind in defensive positions when Bont was going forward from stoppages. He's not perfect but he's punching well above his weight considering he doesn't have the natural body type that Dunks has. When Bont couldn't beat the tag against GWS and moved forward de Boer moved to Macrae and I think Macrae gave a much better contest there. I was shocked to see him come 3rd in the b&f, and even more shocked to see him start on the bench on Friday considering Dunkley has had a pretty lackluster preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh as peaked and can't maintain 2019's form.

I'd get rid of Dunkley before Macrae. Dunks got heaps of credit last year but Macrae was the one playing on the oppositions best mid, staying behind in defensive positions when Bont was going forward from stoppages. He's not perfect but he's punching well above his weight considering he doesn't have the natural body type that Dunks has. When Bont couldn't beat the tag against GWS and moved forward de Boer moved to Macrae and I think Macrae gave a much better contest there. I was shocked to see him come 3rd in the b&f, and even more shocked to see him start on the bench on Friday considering Dunkley has had a pretty lackluster preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh as peaked and can't maintain 2019's form.
If forced to choose, purely as players, I wouldn't mind either one. Only reason I suggest Macrae is because Dunks is seen as a leader within the club, while Macrae isn't so much

C: Hunter, Dunks/Macrae, B Smith
R: English, Bont, West
On the bench: Libba, Lipinski

That'd be a really nice midfield. I'm certainly not calling for us to trade Dunks or Macrae, but I can see how the team could shape up without one of them if that did happen.

We need more late picks/rookies/kids who have had to scrap and scrape into the AFL system.

They are the types that have real mongrel, and our levels of bastard are lacking. We're too nice.

following on from this theory Mofra ,
who In this group replaces : Morris , MBoyd , CSmith , Picken , an injured Libber ? you can add Dahl to that list.
Blokes with tlcker , every contest played as if it was their last !
I have been concerned for some time this list lacks what those blokes offered.
Ability / skill will only get you so far.
Our last 2 games have only helped confirm my suspicions !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who In this group replaces : Morris , MBoyd , CSmith , Picken , an injured Libber ? you can add Dahl to that list.

I wish that in the "best traits" discussion about draftees, they included "a-hole". We have Smith (barely 19 years old), West (3 games under his belt), and Sweet (who hasn't debuted) as our players with campaigner.

I wish that in the "best traits" discussion about draftees, they included "a-hole". We have Smith (barely 19 years old), West (3 games under his belt), and Sweet (who hasn't debuted) as our players with campaigner.

yep those blokes you mention are the next wave with the right traits , my hope is they give us a harder edge.
like what I have seen so far in this regard.
But fair to say might be at least a couple of seasons away .

It's a stretch, but Porter to replace Picken, Lachie Young to replace Morris, and West to replace Smith. No one replacing Matty Boyd imo

Big uncertainty there considering none are in our best 22 right now

It's a stretch, but Porter to replace Picken, Lachie Young to replace Morris, and West to replace Smith. No one replacing Matty Boyd imo

Big uncertainty there considering none are in our best 22 right now

That’s the problem VD our current best 25 just don’t seem to have enough mongrel .
Am I wrong ?
Shame Bill Gowers hasn’t gone on with it , he is one with a bit of s—- in him.
But you need a number scattered among the team as we had during 2016.

That’s the problem VD our current best 25 just don’t seem to have enough mongrel .
This systemic problem is underlined by the recently announced sponsorship by Pedigree.

Surely there's a pet food company out there somewhere called Mongrel.
I'd buy it. And I don't even have a dog any more. :cry:

Too early to appoint Bont captain.
I was one who would have preferred Wood to continue. But we’ll have to wait till next year to see if Bont can carry the weight. Maybe he will by then.

Honestly, I believe if Wallis hadn't had multiple long stretches out of the game, he could've been our captain at some point
Picked Wallis as a future captain early on. At least he’s made it to the leadership group.

Problem with Wood as Captain was he must have been extremely close to being dropped last season. Very hard to drop the Captain. Hopefully he finds his best again soon.

"Competitive beast" is the term recruiters use.
In fairness, Rhylee West has it which is to be expected unless there was a horrible mix up at the hospital.

While Bev has me covered in virtually all coaching aspects, I'd sh1t it in if our team selections for the last 4 years were laid out side-by-side. In fact, I'd so far as to say, if they ran out each week with my selections, we would have been undefeated since our flag. Would have got a bit boring though, so glad he's still there keeping team selections 'interesting'...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back