emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Call me old-fashioned, but I think that something tangible is the best choice for a sporting team's emblem, and I cannot stand intangible emblems (Glory, Power, Fury, Heat, Victory, Pride, Force and the like).

Some animals are frequently used as emblems, for example Magpies, Tigers, Lions, Bulldogs, Panthers, Cats, Kangaroos and Sharks, but some you rarely or never see. For example, I know of no instances of a team using an emu as its emblem nor a gorilla.

Which are some sporting teams you have seen in Australia with unusual animal emblems (including mythical animals such as unicorns, devils or griffins; or extinct animals such as dinosaurs)?

Call me old-fashioned, but I think that something tangible is the best choice for a sporting team's emblem, and I cannot stand intangible emblems (Glory, Power, Fury, Heat, Victory, Pride, Force and the like).

Some animals are frequently used as emblems, for example Magpies, Tigers, Lions, Bulldogs, Panthers, Cats, Kangaroos and Sharks, but some you rarely or never see. For example, I know of no instances of a team using an emu as its emblem nor a gorilla.

Which are some sporting teams you have seen in Australia with unusual animal emblems (including mythical animals such as unicorns, devils or griffins; or extinct animals such as dinosaurs)?

Wilson Grange Gorillas
Abers were at one stage?

Visit mobbs footypedia in my SIG and have a look, there's heaps of info

Sydney junior footy club, Glebe JAFC, are known as the Greyhounds as in their early days trained next to the greyhound track at Wentworth Park in Sydney's inner-west

Attachments

• glebe1.jpg
    glebe1.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 41
In the MSEFL we have the Mount Burr Mozzies and used to have the Tarpeena Canaries. Even though it's not and animal we also have the Glencoe Murphies, murphies meaning potatoes.

I cannot find a photo of the logo but Mercedes College in first 18 footy is the Camels, the old scholars cricket team is M.C.O.C.C.C. (Mercedes Camels Old Collegians Cricket Club)

Drummoyne in Sydney teams are the Rats
They used to be Aussie Rules, Rugby & Cricket. Now they're just cricket.
Their Rugby team moved/merged with Warringah, so they're the Rats now
Warringah-Rat_Blog3.jpg

Melb High. and Melb High Old Boys are the Unicorns
MHSOBFC_uniform.jpg

Queenscliff are the Coutas. Pretty cool logo it is too
334521_1_S.jpg

Skipton in the Central Highlands are the Emus
2979538_1_M.jpg

In Gippsland, Buln Buln are the Lyrebirds
317100_1_S.jpg

Leongatha are the Parrots
757be3906076100588d420145edef087.jpg

Funny thing is, what we think of as 'normal' names, others sometimes cannot fathom.
For instance, I like to tell people here that Mike Pike played for the Sydney Swans.
Most reactions are "Swans? really? They're called the Swans? Hardly a name for an aggressive sport like footy".

Ask and you shall receive, The Morphett Vale Emus:
emus.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Tasselled Wobbegongs would be a brilliant nickname, particularly for a place like Toowoomba, Wollongong or Tiddy Widdy Beach.

Tiddy Widdy Beach is particularly appropriate given the identical initials (TW) and the fact that a Tasseled Wobbegong is a type of Australian shark.

I'm strongly considering becoming the Tiddy Widdy Beach Tasselled Wobbegongs in the NAFL.

I know that Perth-Bayswater have a numbat, which is a little unusual in itself, but especially when they call themselves the "Black Pigs"
Proposed-Perth-Bayswater-LogosV4_0011.png

There was also the Darwin Mosquitoes in the old Australian Rugby Shield competition:
554896_618008478233322_587933736_n__large.jpg

img_0133__large.jpg

As for Sunnybank, I dunno what the hell this is...
Sunnybank-rugby-shop-stubby-cooler-1.jpg

But the most famous of unusual animals, will always be this one for me...
eels-emblem.png

Last edited:
Have a look at this if you want to see some interesting nicknames.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/australias-best-footy-club-nicknames-including-the-yabbies-rainbows-and-shoes/news-story/869f4771d3c75e5bc4d23d1178faab4a

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back