Up my goat!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

beardancer

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We've all got those football terms and ideas that just drive you mad. Here's 2 to start.

When referring to forwards people often say things like " he didn't take any marks but all he has to do is BRING THE BALL TO GROUND. FAAARRRRKKKKKK MEEEE!!!!!I can "bring the ball to ground", it's just dropping a mark that you could have taken. Bringing the ball to ground is a failure to mark, this is what a defender is trying to do, not the attacker. An attacker that brings the ball to ground is an attacker who's failed their first attempt at attacking and now must attempt to get the ball on the ground and continue the attack.

no2. People that defend average attackers by saying " he draws a good defender"...........FFFFAAAAARRRRRKKKKKK!!!!!!!
If you have to defend your attacker by saying he's going to be marked up by an opposition defender then you have 0 confidence in your team selection. It's the ultimate damning by faint praise.

Bring me your goats

People staring at their phone screen in the middle of the footpaths and looking like zombie mode robots oblivious to the world.
Drop the shoulder into em if they can't pay a scrap of attention to other pedestrians and don't realise they are on a collision course with people moving in the opposite direction..

Every time Dwayne Russell says 'destroyation'. WTF!

While on Mr Russell, also the way that the inflection he places on the end of every third sentence to add drama just makes it sound as though his own sentence surprised him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People staring at their phone screen in the middle of the footpaths and looking like zombie mode robots oblivious to the world.
Drop the shoulder into em if they can't pay a scrap of attention to other pedestrians and don't realise they are on a collision course with people moving in the opposite direction..
That happens so often it is viewed as normal behaviour these days, and it's only going to get worse, I walk my granddaughter(she doesn't have a phone yet, Grade 6) home form primary school a couple of times a week and we walk past a high school on the way home.. anyway at a bus stop we walked past I said to her look at all those kids with their heads down, there would have been at least a dozen kids there, every single one of them on their phone. So bad for posture as well, there will be even bigger problems with neck/shoulder/back issues in the future, although in the not too distant future I expect most will have some sort of communication chip inserted somewhere in their body.

That happens so often it is viewed as normal behaviour these days, and it's only going to get worse, I walk my granddaughter(she doesn't have a phone yet, Grade 6) home form primary school a couple of times a week and we walk past a high school on the way home.. anyway at a bus stop we walked past I said to her look at all those kids with their heads down, there would have been at least a dozen kids there, every single one of them on their phone. So bad for posture as well, there will be even bigger problems with neck/shoulder/back issues in the future, although in the not too distant future I expect most will have some sort of communication chip inserted somewhere in their body.
Yeah, back in my day...

...well, they would've had a book or a newspaper or whatever. Not sure there's any real difference there. :D

Yeah, back in my day...

...well, they would've had a book or a newspaper or whatever. Not sure there's any real difference there. :D
I don't remember reading a book or newspaper after school in the 60s 70s... although I wasn't the most academic kid, I only bothered going to school to eat my lunch. In my youth we spent our spare time out and about in the bush/in the neighbourhood skylarking, I do not remember obesity being much of an issue even in the adult community.

:shoutyoldman:I tell youz, todays generation is soft and mushy.:shoutyoldman:

give em the Byron Pickett!

What gets on my goat is people who don't keep left on footpaths and bike paths..... We are supposed to be a civilized society people! Serenity now.
We live in a multicultural country so people have different upbringings left vs right....get used to it...it used to get my goat but all ok with it now.

We live in a multicultural country so people have different upbringings left vs right....get used to it...it used to get my goat but all ok with it now.
When I was a lad the footpaths in Melbourne CBD had a line down the middle.You kept left of the line.Much more civilized!

Agree but possibly we had a chip a little way further south.

Given the precipitous fall in fertility rates in all well off countries could phones be the problem?

No one left in Korea and Japan in 500 years.

I don't remember reading a book or newspaper after school in the 60s 70s... although I wasn't the most academic kid, I only bothered going to school to eat my lunch. In my youth we spent our spare time out and about in the bush/in the neighbourhood skylarking, I do not remember obesity being much of an issue even in the adult community.

:shoutyoldman:I tell youz, todays generation is soft and mushy.:shoutyoldman:
Hard to blame the kids of today for that though. I'm sure many of them would prefer to be doing the stuff that you got to do as a youngster. I was raised by my grandparents who were admittedly very young grandparents at the time but I couldn't believe all the things my pop got to do as a kid. Now some kids can't believe what I got to do as a kid.

Edit: I don't have anything to go off but it seems kids also have more homework etc than they did in the 60s/70s as well from what I have been told. God forbid kids can get outside and do stuff after school instead of finishing school to go and do more school at home. That is something that gets up my goat tbh even though I don't have homework anymore nor do I have kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back