Mod. Notice Vale Barry Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
It has now been confirmed that Barry Round has passed. The Swans board express our condolences to Barry's loved ones at this time.

Barry Round 5.png

Playing career:

• 1969–1985 (games: 328, goals: 293)
  • Footscray 1969–1975 (games: 135, goals: 136)
  • South Melbourne/Sydney 1976–1985 (games: 193, goals: 157)
Player honours:

• Brownlow Medal 1981
  • Liston Trophy 1987
  • South Melbourne/Sydney best and fairest 1979, 1981
  • South Melbourne/Sydney captain 1980–1984
  • South Melbourne/Sydney Team of the Century
  • VFL representative (5 games, 4 goals)
  • VFA representative (3 games, 4 goal

Last edited:
A legend Captain -Coach of a Williamstown Premiership team at the age of 40 ! wanted to play another 5 years . Mark Browning became a better player with Baz there , who would mark and then give the handball to Miffa Browning who would drive it over 50 metres forward . Players just walked taller with him around and was dangerous to get in a shout with , a pot looked like a thimble in his big hands . RIP TO A CHAMP

A legend Captain -Coach of a Williamstown Premiership team at the age of 40 ! wanted to play another 5 years . Mark Browning became a better player with Baz there , who would mark and then give the handball to Miffa Browning who would drive it over 50 metres forward . Players just walked taller with him around and was dangerous to get in a shout with , a pot looked like a thimble in his big hands . RIP TO A CHAMP

Not forgetting his efforts at the Bulldogs ... the Swans grabbing him as its first captain in Sydney is a testament to this BIG man.

one of the gentle giants and a brownlow winner.........saw him drinking a pot of beer once at the casa de manana pub in south melbourne (case of bananas) the glass looked like a thimble in his fist, huge man - great tap ruckman, vale and rip big man........

bfc6e64a9dcc250e9205a6b9bcd52523

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ticky009 there is a great read by Neil Cordy on Codesports if you can open it , just sums him up .
1 quote from Richard Colless said he would've represented Australia in drinking , that's another era .
Now I know there is a rule about posting full articles, that I normally strictly adhere to.
But given the circumstances perhaps the mods could forget to read this post.

Put simply, ‘There was only one Barry Round’. NEIL CORDY remembers the man who championed Aussie rules’ move to Sydney in just part of an epic life and career.

The Sydney Swans have lost one of their greatest players, leaders and personalities and the AFL an important pioneer of the national competition with the passing of Barry Round.
Round had a career to match his physical stature playing 438 games for Footscray (135 games from 1968-75), South Melbourne/Sydney Swans (193 games from 1976-85) and Williamstown (110 games from 1986-91) in the VFA.
The pinnacle came in 1981 when he won the Brownlow Medal in a tie with his great friend and former Bulldogs teammate Bernie Quinlan.
The following year he led the South Melbourne team north to Sydney as the Swans spearheaded the VFL’s push for a nationwide competition.
Former teammate Mark Browning remembered the pivotal role his skipper played in those formative years.
“There was only one Barry Round,” Browning told CODE Sports.
“I was vice-captain to him for five years. I ran out behind him every week. There was an energy about him. Good big blokes have that, like Plugger and Buddy and Alastair Lynch and Barry Hall. I would live off that energy when I played, I thrived off it. ”

The first Captain of the Sydney Swans, Barry Round. Picture: Matt Bouwmeester

Browning and Round were co-leaders through difficult times when the Swans struggled to find a foothold in the Harbour City.
Earlier this year, Round spoke to CODE about the enormous challenge of the move to Sydney.
“The move itself shifting the Swans from South Melbourne to Sydney was very traumatic,” Round said in March this year.
“It tore the club apart. We had meetings at the end of the 1981 season to discuss our future. The options were to wind us up, to amalgamate with St Kilda, or go to Sydney.
“The last game in 1981 was at the Lake Oval against North Melbourne and the cheer squad were dressed in black and the banner was black. The fans were crying, it was a terrible day. Some players said they weren’t going to Sydney and you can’t blame them.”
In a time where draftees are reluctant to move interstate to pursue professional careers it’s hard to believe Round and his teammates uprooted their lives, families and careers as part-timers.
It’s no exaggeration to say today’s thriving national competition sits on the shoulders of people like Barry Round.
With the club being pulled apart in so many directions, he was the glue that kept the team together.
Former Swans Chairman Richard Colless said: “The Sydney Swans wouldn’t be here without Barry Round.

With the club being pulled apart in so many directions, he was the glue that kept the team together.
Former Swans Chairman Richard Colless said: “The Sydney Swans wouldn’t be here without Barry Round.
“Our Best Clubman award is named after him. We couldn’t have picked a more appropriate person. Through very difficult times he was really happy to be here, I never heard Barry bag anybody. He belonged to an era long gone where the social part of the game was a big part of players’ enjoyment and Barry enjoyed it more than most. He could drink for Australia.”

Round contests for the ball against Richmond. Picture: Getty Images

Round was a natural entertainer.
He loved a drink, a laugh and a song.
Kenny Rogers’ The Gambler was a favourite as was Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline and Tom Jones’ Delilah.
Among the many stories he liked to tell was a return to his hometown of Warragul at the age of 50.
Over Friday night drinks at the pub he agreed to make up the numbers in the reserves the following morning. The only condition he set was to be able to sing Delilah after the game.
By the next day the word had passed around town one of their favourite sons was making a one off appearance in the curtain raiser.
Unfortunately for the first three quarters the fans were left disappointed, playing at full forward he hadn’t troubled the scorer or the statistician. Reading the dissatisfaction among the crowd he had a quick conversation with one of the umpires and told him his fans would be very unhappy if the star attraction and Brownlow medallist didn’t get a touch. To the umpire’s credit he obliged a few minutes later and paid a free kick for a marking infringement to Barry in the goalsquare.

The big man converted from the goalsquare and the car horns around the ground sounded their approval. His rendition of Delilah never sounded better.

His passion for the Swans and bringing Aussie rules to Sydney always shone through. Picture: Getty Images

His passion for the Swans and bringing Aussie rules to Sydney always shone through. Picture: Getty Images
Barry had a story and a line for every occasion.

Those talents were on display when he appeared on The Front Bar last year.

He retold the story of his first game for Footscray.

“There were streamers and balloons everywhere and I thought they’re making a bit of fuss for my first game,” Round said.

“I heard someone say they were going to have a guard of honour and I thought this is a bit over the top.

“It turned out it was Teddy Whitten’s 300th.”

Roundy was loved by his teammates and opponents alike. He enjoyed the social part of the game but it didn’t affect his fitness levels which were extraordinary for a man who was 193cm and 108kg.

He would regularly finish in the top five in time trials over 3km to 10km and be unhappy if he didn’t.

This was true throughout his career, which finished at the age of 41 at Williamstown in the VFA.

“I was cut down in my prime at 41,” Round often quipped.

“I played into my 40s so I must have enjoyed it, either that or I’m a slow learner.”

“I played into my 40s so I must have enjoyed it, either that or I’m a slow learner.”

Among his many career highlights over the years was the Swans win in the night premiership in 1982.

He never tasted the ultimate success in Sydney but drew enormous pleasure from the 2005 and 2012 premierships. He has a tattoo commemorating both victories.

In 2007 he moved to the Gold Coast where his hosting of the monthly Aussie rules Club lunch became legendary.

On a personal note, I’ve known Barry for more than 40 years and have been chasing him around the country for most of that time.

We both grew up in Footscray’s zone in Gippsland, Roundy in Warragul and me down the Princes Highway in Rosedale.

By the time I reached the Western (now Whitten) Oval he’d gone to South Melbourne/Sydney Swans. Then when I followed his move to the Swans he’d gone back to Melbourne to captain-coach Williamston in the VFA.

I finally caught up with the great man two years ago when I moved from Sydney to the Gold Coast.

He and his partner Jenni helped my family’s transition north.

Baz had a line for every occasion and I was lucky enough to hear most of them over the last couple of years at social breakfasts, lunches and dinners.

I will miss him dearly.

That last game at South was a Barry special. It was drizzly and the cold matched that in our hearts as we watched our last game at the beautiful Lake Oval.

We got done like a dinner, as the old saying goes. Our skipper had a blinder and the big man took circa 18 marks despite the greasy conditions. At the end he had worked himself to a standstilL. Yet he was able to tolerate piles of littlies climbing over him as he walked off the Lake Oval one last time. He had tears streaming down his cheeks.

(no surprise he got the 3 Brownlow votes that day, enabling him to tie with the great Bernie Quinlan)

Vale.

Very sad to hear of Barry's passing, I only saw him play on TV a couple of times when I was young, so I don't have great memories of him as a player, but he always gets mentioned when talking about the greats of the South Melbourne & Sydney Football Club. A very important player in the early days of the Swans relocation to Sydney.

Condolences to his family, and his Swans family

That last game at South was a Barry special. It was drizzly and the cold matched that in our hearts as we watched our last game at the beautiful Lake Oval.

We got done like a dinner, as the old saying goes. Our skipper had a blinder and the big man took circa 18 marks despite the greasy conditions. At the end he had worked himself to a standstilL. Yet he was able to tolerate piles of littlies climbing over him as he walked off the Lake Oval one last time. He had tears streaming down his cheeks.

(no surprise he got the 3 Brownlow votes that day, enabling him to tie with the great Bernie Quinlan)

Vale.
Was there that day,well said.

Those broad shoulders really look great in the red V

Sadly I just missed his career as I started supporting. Only seen him in highlights or a few rare full matches available readily.

So really my memories are more modern and seeing him always promoting the Swans and his genuine happiness at the first Grand Final are burnt to the memory.

What a champion - Have really enjoyed reading the memories of those that saw his career.

Not just a loss (and a massive loss by the way ) to the Swans but the whole football community and may i say the community in general.

Merry go round was absolute statesman. I Had the honour of knowing him through my father who coached him in juniors way back in his Nilma days. Our thoughts are with David and family.

Now I know there is a rule about posting full articles, that I normally strictly adhere to.
But given the circumstances perhaps the mods could forget to read this post.

Put simply, ‘There was only one Barry Round’. NEIL CORDY remembers the man who championed Aussie rules’ move to Sydney in just part of an epic life and career.

The Sydney Swans have lost one of their greatest players, leaders and personalities and the AFL an important pioneer of the national competition with the passing of Barry Round.
Round had a career to match his physical stature playing 438 games for Footscray (135 games from 1968-75), South Melbourne/Sydney Swans (193 games from 1976-85) and Williamstown (110 games from 1986-91) in the VFA.
The pinnacle came in 1981 when he won the Brownlow Medal in a tie with his great friend and former Bulldogs teammate Bernie Quinlan.
The following year he led the South Melbourne team north to Sydney as the Swans spearheaded the VFL’s push for a nationwide competition.
Former teammate Mark Browning remembered the pivotal role his skipper played in those formative years.
“There was only one Barry Round,” Browning told CODE Sports.
“I was vice-captain to him for five years. I ran out behind him every week. There was an energy about him. Good big blokes have that, like Plugger and Buddy and Alastair Lynch and Barry Hall. I would live off that energy when I played, I thrived off it. ”

The first Captain of the Sydney Swans, Barry Round. Picture: Matt Bouwmeester

Browning and Round were co-leaders through difficult times when the Swans struggled to find a foothold in the Harbour City.
Earlier this year, Round spoke to CODE about the enormous challenge of the move to Sydney.
“The move itself shifting the Swans from South Melbourne to Sydney was very traumatic,” Round said in March this year.
“It tore the club apart. We had meetings at the end of the 1981 season to discuss our future. The options were to wind us up, to amalgamate with St Kilda, or go to Sydney.
“The last game in 1981 was at the Lake Oval against North Melbourne and the cheer squad were dressed in black and the banner was black. The fans were crying, it was a terrible day. Some players said they weren’t going to Sydney and you can’t blame them.”
In a time where draftees are reluctant to move interstate to pursue professional careers it’s hard to believe Round and his teammates uprooted their lives, families and careers as part-timers.
It’s no exaggeration to say today’s thriving national competition sits on the shoulders of people like Barry Round.

“Our Best Clubman award is named after him. We couldn’t have picked a more appropriate person. Through very difficult times he was really happy to be here, I never heard Barry bag anybody. He belonged to an era long gone where the social part of the game was a big part of players’ enjoyment and Barry enjoyed it more than most. He could drink for Australia.”

Round was a natural entertainer.
He loved a drink, a laugh and a song.
Kenny Rogers’ The Gambler was a favourite as was Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline and Tom Jones’ Delilah.
Among the many stories he liked to tell was a return to his hometown of Warragul at the age of 50.
Over Friday night drinks at the pub he agreed to make up the numbers in the reserves the following morning. The only condition he set was to be able to sing Delilah after the game.
By the next day the word had passed around town one of their favourite sons was making a one off appearance in the curtain raiser.
Unfortunately for the first three quarters the fans were left disappointed, playing at full forward he hadn’t troubled the scorer or the statistician. Reading the dissatisfaction among the crowd he had a quick conversation with one of the umpires and told him his fans would be very unhappy if the star attraction and Brownlow medallist didn’t get a touch. To the umpire’s credit he obliged a few minutes later and paid a free kick for a marking infringement to Barry in the goalsquare.

The big man converted from the goalsquare and the car horns around the ground sounded their approval. His rendition of Delilah never sounded better.

Barry had a story and a line for every occasion.

Those talents were on display when he appeared on The Front Bar last year.

He retold the story of his first game for Footscray.

“There were streamers and balloons everywhere and I thought they’re making a bit of fuss for my first game,” Round said.

“I heard someone say they were going to have a guard of honour and I thought this is a bit over the top.

“It turned out it was Teddy Whitten’s 300th.”

Roundy was loved by his teammates and opponents alike. He enjoyed the social part of the game but it didn’t affect his fitness levels which were extraordinary for a man who was 193cm and 108kg.

He would regularly finish in the top five in time trials over 3km to 10km and be unhappy if he didn’t.

This was true throughout his career, which finished at the age of 41 at Williamstown in the VFA.

Among his many career highlights over the years was the Swans win in the night premiership in 1982.

He never tasted the ultimate success in Sydney but drew enormous pleasure from the 2005 and 2012 premierships. He has a tattoo commemorating both victories.

In 2007 he moved to the Gold Coast where his hosting of the monthly Aussie rules Club lunch became legendary.

On a personal note, I’ve known Barry for more than 40 years and have been chasing him around the country for most of that time.

We both grew up in Footscray’s zone in Gippsland, Roundy in Warragul and me down the Princes Highway in Rosedale.

By the time I reached the Western (now Whitten) Oval he’d gone to South Melbourne/Sydney Swans. Then when I followed his move to the Swans he’d gone back to Melbourne to captain-coach Williamston in the VFA.

I finally caught up with the great man two years ago when I moved from Sydney to the Gold Coast.

He and his partner Jenni helped my family’s transition north.

Baz had a line for every occasion and I was lucky enough to hear most of them over the last couple of years at social breakfasts, lunches and dinners.

I will miss him dearly.
Thanks so much HB , it needed to be posted

Thanks so much HB , it needed to be posted
wonderful read.

Always remember him on the ground for our 2005 Grand Final win. He had the biggest smile. Too young to have watched him play, but I read a lot about 1981—what a captain and leader in such a difficult time. As Richard Colless said in the above article, I don't know how the move would have gone without the big man. Glad he won the night trophy for us.

RIP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back