Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think what robbos getting at is that so much has been made of hughes being clarkes little brother, and bugger all has been mentioned about phils blood brother (without this tragedy i dont think anyone here except Ashton Agar would know his name)

i think what robbos getting at is that so much has been made of hughes being clarkes little brother, and bugger all has been mentioned about phils blood brother (without this tragedy i dont think anyone here except Ashton Agar would know his name)
His brother is pretty well known around the Sydney grade scene, in part because of Phil, but he has forged his own reputation through there.

You do make a point that the focus has largely been on the Australian cricket scene, rather than the family, but that's probably somewhat natural.

Also I'm not so surethat was the point Robbo was getting at. Posting time 3.18am after all....

His brother is pretty well known around the Sydney grade scene, in part because of Phil, but he has forged his own reputation through there.

*nods head*

but to the average joe, which is what robbo is, that isnt well known.

Also I'm not so surethat was the point Robbo was getting at. Posting time 3.18am after all....

only he can tell us through Robbos word

Who do we blame for that though?

If this had been a unknown rookie shield bat instead of a test match batsman close mates with the test skipper would we all be posting in this thread?

I think we would all be posting about day 2 at the gabba which would be on right now.

If this had been hughes brother killed instead of hughes would we be posting about him now?

I think we would all be posting about day 2 at the gabba which would be on right now, can't complain about the focus on the well known mourners(clarke ect) in all this because without them there would be no real focus on this tragedy right now.

Pure heartbreak at this pic.

I reckon its shithouse a photo like that is even taken let alone published. How would you feel carrying your dead son in a coffin while some bloke is snapping photo's of your grief and showing the whole world.
I understand the public interest in the funeral and a tasteful coverage that allows a large audience to reflect on the eulogies is not a bad thing. Parasite photographers trying to get money shots of a fathers grief is bloody disgusting i think. I'm not sure how i'd react in the same instance, probably not well

You do make a point that the focus has largely been on the Australian cricket scene, rather than the family, but that's probably somewhat natural.

Honestly if given the choice I'd rather the media stick their cameras under their noses rather than the family so there is a silver lining there.

I was going to post something similar. The focus on Clarke has taken the spotlight off the family, something I'm sure they are grateful for and could possibly be why Clarke has been so much on the front foot through all this (to shield the family somewhat).

I still have not watched the service in it's entirety, I have it recorded but it doesn't feel right to intrude in that way. Sounds mighty elitist or snobbish and a pointless view but eh.

I share the same sentiment as others re: the focus of Phil's father carrying the coffin, might be one of the poignant moments of the service (father grieving for a lost son etc). Yes the service was televised but some things should have been kept 'in house' and not shown (such as that moment).

Media give me the shits sometimes/all of the time.

It's also not difficult to understand that Robbo probably doesn't get this because his closest friend is a bartender at the closest pub to the Herald Sun office who awkwardly excuses himself after 7 minutes of watching Robbo go red in the face, pound the bar after his 8th Carlton Draught of that morning, sighing "it's just not right" over and over about the simplest of issues, before calling Gerard Whateley for the third time to ask what Caroline Wilson means when she uses the word 'untenable' in her articles.

I thought his closest mate was James Hird!

Sometimes you just can't work out what goes through peoples heads sometimes.

In the case of Robbo it's one of those mouse training wheels where they chase after stationary cheese.

Clarke and Hughes were obviously very close if this was the case. Makes Robbo look even more the flog.

Clarke trained in Sydney this morning ahead of his arrival in Adelaide Friday evening, with the skipper having stayed an extra day in Macksville for a private cremation with Hughes’s family on Thursday.

Come on guys the funeral is over. I know it's hard, but it's time to let this thread go and move on to focusing on the first test. It's what Phillip would have wanted. He would probably be saying to us "Come on boys, funeral's over. Quit moping and lets focus on doing what we do best, making Australia proud". I know I will support this country until the day I die.

Feel free to move on and let the thread go if you want to, no need to tell others what to do.

Feel free to move on and let the thread go if you want to, no need to tell others what to do.
Exactly. I believe this thread will now be one to reflect on the life/career of Phil and discuss some of his great and not so great moments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon its shithouse a photo like that is even taken let alone published. How would you feel carrying your dead son in a coffin while some bloke is snapping photo's of your grief and showing the whole world.
I understand the public interest in the funeral and a tasteful coverage that allows a large audience to reflect on the eulogies is not a bad thing. Parasite photographers trying to get money shots of a fathers grief is bloody disgusting i think. I'm not sure how i'd react in the same instance, probably not well
Well at the end of the day the photographer is there for a reason. Rightly or wrongly, he/she is documenting the event - doing what they're getting paid to do. It's a truly heartbreaking moment, and it's the money shot for the day. You could say the same for millions of other photos in the world that they shouldn't be taken, but if they weren't then we'd never know what happened.

Who do we blame for that though?

If this had been a unknown rookie shield bat instead of a test match batsman close mates with the test skipper would we all be posting in this thread?

I think we would all be posting about day 2 at the gabba which would be on right now.

If this had been hughes brother killed instead of hughes would we be posting about him now?

I think we would all be posting about day 2 at the gabba which would be on right now, can't complain about the focus on the well known mourners(clarke ect) in all this because without them there would be no real focus on this tragedy right now.
yeah just like marcus north's brother's passing last year

Stopped reading when he claimed our bowling in the last ashes bordered on assault. People who can't differentiate between good hostile fast bowling and this tragedy shouldn't be allowed to speak on the issue let alone write articles. I bet he also wants to outlaw bouncers and sledging :rolleyes:
I guess this bloke reckons Harold Larwood should have been charged with attempted murder????

Just look at the Chanderpaul one where he got hit below the helmet when he ducked into it. And Lee bowls alot quicker than Abbott does.
Has anyone heard yet if Abbott is playing against Queensland on Tuesday? I just want to wish the poor kid all the best, and pray that this tragedy won't haunt him to the extent that it stops him playing the game he loves.

Has anyone heard yet if Abbott is playing against Queensland on Tuesday? I just want to wish the poor kid all the best, and pray that this tragedy won't haunt him to the extent that it stops him playing the game he loves.
I wouldn't have thought so. He has elected not to play grade cricket this weekend for Sydney Uni so chances of him coming up for a Shield game are pretty unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back