News Vale Ron Barassi

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly the last of the legendary quartet of Barassi, Mantello, Aylett and Joesph who turned the fortunes of the club around in the 70s, to pass away. They undoubtedly saved North from a fate similar to other small inner city clubs, in Fitzroy and South Melbourne. The success brought extra fans to the club and gave us a fighting chance.

One of the few who was genuinely bigger than the game itself. Everyone knew who Ron Barassi was, regardless of whether they followed the game or not.
RIP Legend
053b148fdedf3e48fe4829790e59cc8e.jpg

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

He's a legend at the Swans too. This is timely given his passing today, but I was listening to a podcast this week, and they were saying that the impact Ron had on that club was enormous. They were dead last, close to folding, and he had nothing left to prove, didn't have to uproot his life in Melbourne and take the coaching job in Sydney. But he went anyway, and saved them. The foundations he laid ultimately led to the success that Eade, Roos and Longmire have since enjoyed.
Not overstating it at all, the game was virtually dead in Sydney.

I remember taking an Indian family whose kids had received free tickets to a game against Melbourne in ‘92 and it was actually embarrassing - less than 7,000 showed up to watch them get flogged. We left at three quarter time.

Between Barrass and Ron Joseph, who recruited Tony Lockett, they basically saved the Swans.

Not that the campaigners who watch them now would know or care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back