Vale Shane Warne

Remove this Banner Ad

Legitimately shocked by this news, think it hits home when legends of the game you grew up watching at the ground pass away, at an age far too young. Warnie is one the reasons why I and so many others here grew to love the game of cricket, he was one of a kind and there will never be another like him.

That was a half volley on leg stump that Starc bowled to Burns, I'll give that to you Warnie, RIP you legend.

Already been offered a state funeral from the Victorian government.

Not being massively into basketball, it really struck me how widespread the response was in mourning Kobe Bryant’s death a couple of years ago. Just the sheer shock and subsequently, the outpouring of grief and exclamation of the impact Kobe had on the individual.

Warnie is Kobe to Australians. Gave us all incredible memories, especially for me in my formative years of watching cricket in the mid-2000s. I started bowling leg spin because of him.

RIP to the King. There’ll never be another.

cricket GIF

genuinely taking the piss, pretty sure that is Strauss also wasn't it? Hardly a noob

Marshie and Warnie, both in the one day. Just devastating.

Reckon I'll take up drinking and smoking in memory of them.

You know you've transcended the game when the country you tormented are just as saddened by your loss.

Coverage in the UK is no different to back home. Just disbelief and grief. Lead every news story ahead of Russia and Sky Sports ran an hour long tribute.

Still had plenty to give the game as a mentor for up and coming spinners too. A generation or two will miss out on that now
When he talked leg spin during lunch breaks it was always great to watch.

Not being massively into basketball, it really struck me how widespread the response was in mourning Kobe Bryant’s death a couple of years ago. Just the sheer shock and subsequently, the outpouring of grief and exclamation of the impact Kobe had on the individual.

Warnie is Kobe to Australians. Gave us all incredible memories, especially for me in my formative years of watching cricket in the mid-2000s. I started bowling leg spin because of him.
That's exactly what I was thinking earlier this morning... both sportsmen who transcended their sport and became household names in popular culture, and both dead before their time.

I thought I was too drunk to have read those group texts right when I stumbled home.

Easily the biggest icon of my youth.

Those summer jibes about Victoria >>> everywhere else, hits differently. There was no greater cheerleader. I miss him already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will own up to shedding a few tears in the pub last night when the news broke, just gutted.

Of all the amazing performances, I keep coming back to the 05 Ashes, where he almost hauled us across the line by sheer force of will alone.

We'll never see his like again.

World Cup win over South Africa in England for me, all hope was lost til Warney showed up with his superman cape on for a magical 10 overs. He put the team on his back and carried them to victory

Still had plenty to give the game as a mentor for up and coming spinners too. A generation or two will miss out on that now
Very true.
His mentor Terry Jenner is gone and now Warnie. This is a very special skill and craft to master and now we probably lost something impossible to replace.
Hopefully Warnie passed on enough of the finer points of craft to the guys like Swepson, Boyce, Pope and others so someone of his ilk can possibly show up again sometime in next 50 years. Unlikely though.

Last edited:
World Cup win over South Africa in England for me, all hope was lost til Warney showed up with his superman cape on for a magical 10 overs. He put the team on his back and carried them to victory

Was up in the middle of night watching that. Was epic World Cup like we never seen or likely to see again.
We were just about gone and Warney did not accept it was over. In that one moment you could start to believe hope in this match was still possible.
To think we got out of it and went on to win the whole World Cup was incredible.

Just watched a package of his 50 best wickets in Australia, some of those deliveries were ridiculous and made the batsmen look a bit silly as they pretty much ignored these pies landing about a foot outside leg, maybe sticking a half-hearted pad out there only to hear the ball clatter into the stumps behind them. And then there other balls I swear actually corkscrewed their way down the pitch, heading down off before somehow pitching on middle.

Also, as an aside, it reminded me how much I miss Richie Benaud's understated commentary.

Was up in the middle of night watching that. Was epic World Cup like we never seen or likely to see again.
We were just about gone and Warney did not accept it was over. In that one moment you could start to believe hope in this match was still possible.
To think we got out of it and went on to win the whole World Cup was incredible.
It was a decent couple of days.
EXh4i6YUwAEvBLb

It was a decent couple of days.
EXh4i6YUwAEvBLb
Probably the greatest one day matches there has ever been or will ever be.
Those matches and the second season of World Series Cricket in Sydney where they closed the gates are most memorable moments in one day cricket in my lifetime. You are a lucky sod if you went to those ones in England in that time.

Read this news when I awoke and had to look at the date, as I thought it might have been a truly sick April fools day joke.

Victorian government just announced the great Southern stand at the mcg will be renamed in his honour for all time, which is entirely appropriate.

RIP King, you will never be forgotten

Remove this Banner Ad

Vale Shane Warne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back