Vegan/Vegetarian

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a great chat with a colleague at work last week.

They overheard me saying that I don't eat meat anymore (because I was asked if I like chicken), and apparently felt so offended that they had to tell me why I was wrong.

The usual arguments came out - our teeth and digestive systems prove we're meant to eat it; it's part of the food chain etc.

When I said I don't disagree and do it by choice, they asked why I stopped. I said I don't like the idea of eating animals, they said "what's the deal with vegans? They don't eat eggs but they go around killing snakes". I was dumbstruck. I just said that I can't speak for anyone else (how the **** do you pick apart such a batshit statement?).

They then said they hate "weak men that go vegetarian cause their missus makes 'em".

I laughed without meaning to, then had to find an excuse to walk off.

Apart from how backward and idiotic some of the comments were, I still get frustrated when people take personal offence by someone else's choice not to eat meat.

I have never once told someone to stop eating it. I don't go into detail my own beliefs, because I don't expect others to conform. In fact, I only bring it up if I'm specifically offered meat, and even then I simply say "no thanks" most of the time.

Yet there are some people that feel so offended or threatened that they insist on telling me why I'm wrong, when really, if there were to be a discussion of morals (which I genuinely never want to have with someone on the topic), then..

It's ridiculous isn't it? Honestly it feels like people like that deflect any form of guilt they may hide away onto vegans and play the antagonist to make themselves feel better. Quite sad really.

ggeMY9x.jpg

judgment about veg or non-veg (as the Indians say) is largely cultural, I think. I would expect an accepting culture (eg Indian) to be less judgmental about a non-vegetarian lifestyle choice than say (and I'm guessing here) a BBQ based-culture is about a vegetarian lifestyle. On the other hand, vegetarianism that's tied to religious belief (eg Hindus) tend to get outraged to the point of violence if their vego rules are not observed in temples etc.

An observation about vegetarianism this year at our ski lodge (which is a basic, self catering 24 person set up.) All of the people there during our week who were over 30 were meat eaters; all but one of the 8 kids (between 18 and 8) were vegetarian and of those 4 (all girls) were vegan. The single meat eating kid was one of our sons. He's vehemently anti-veg; his twin is vegetarian for ethical reasons.

On the whole, I'd say that there are enough vegos in the general population for it not be an issue these days.

Had a great chat with a colleague at work last week.

They overheard me saying that I don't eat meat anymore (because I was asked if I like chicken), and apparently felt so offended that they had to tell me why I was wrong.

The usual arguments came out - our teeth and digestive systems prove we're meant to eat it; it's part of the food chain etc.

When I said I don't disagree and do it by choice, they asked why I stopped. I said I don't like the idea of eating animals, they said "what's the deal with vegans? They don't eat eggs but they go around killing snakes". I was dumbstruck. I just said that I can't speak for anyone else (how the **** do you pick apart such a batshit statement?).

They then said they hate "weak men that go vegetarian cause their missus makes 'em".

I laughed without meaning to, then had to find an excuse to walk off.

Apart from how backward and idiotic some of the comments were, I still get frustrated when people take personal offence by someone else's choice not to eat meat.

I have never once told someone to stop eating it. I don't go into detail my own beliefs, because I don't expect others to conform. In fact, I only bring it up if I'm specifically offered meat, and even then I simply say "no thanks" most of the time.

Yet there are some people that feel so offended or threatened that they insist on telling me why I'm wrong, when really, if there were to be a discussion of morals (which I genuinely never want to have with someone on the topic), then..
So, our bodies evolved to consume meat as a means to an adequate diet? I guess we can also evolve to not consume meat. Good thing our bodies evolved omnivorously. Now that we have an abundance of food options for a balanced diet we can remove meat and our teeth and gut can evolve more herbivorously. To say our bodies are made to eat meat is the type of argument a creationist would use...

this year at our ski lodge

I think you've gotten lost trying to find the Melbourne board!

On the whole, I'd say that there are enough vegos in the general population for it not be an issue these days.

I think it's (reasonably) common these days; it always surprises me when I go places and they have appalling vegetarian options. Qantas is also a major culprit of s**t-meals-for-vegetarians where they're all either mass amounts of mushrooms or olives.

I think you've gotten lost trying to find the Melbourne board!

I think it's (reasonably) common these days; it always surprises me when I go places and they have appalling vegetarian options. Qantas is also a major culprit of s**t-meals-for-vegetarians where they're all either mass amounts of mushrooms or olives.
yeah, hesitated posting that tidbit here. Of course, no Bombers fans ski...

While we've had vegetarians in the family for decades it's only now that I've got a vegetarian son that I'm aware of the choices that are and aren't available. Qantas isn't the worst. One time, flying HK to Rome with Alitalia I made the mistake of pre-ordering the veg option. I was jolted awake by a surly flight attendant jabbing me in the shoulder to let me know that my meal was ready. It consisted of the standard meal with side salad and bread roll -with the meal dish (ie the main component) removed... A friend of mine always pre-orders the veg option on planes. Recently, on a flight to India (on SQ), she realised the veg option was really poor but the Indian veg option (of her neighbour) looked amazing. On the flight back she ordered that instead of the standard veg and confirmed it as the best plane meals she's had.

I’m a diagnosed Coeliac (no gluten) and can confirm gluten free options on planes are appalling. A friend recently travelled on Qantas on a domestic flight and was provided with an apple as the only GF option available.

I’m a diagnosed Coeliac (no gluten) and can confirm gluten free options on planes are appalling. A friend recently travelled on Qantas on a domestic flight and was provided with an apple as the only GF option available.
My better half is coeliac and vegetarian. Meal times get way too complicated in my fam.

Recently, on a flight to India (on SQ), she realised the veg option was really poor but the Indian veg option (of her neighbour) looked amazing. On the flight back she ordered that instead of the standard veg and confirmed it as the best plane meals she's had.
The only flaw with that plan is when you're on a long-haul flight and get that great curry three meals straight, breakfast included.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That does sound complicated. And you're vegan right? Do you cook one meal or is it easier at that point to just to cook individually?
I’m vegetarian. And we have 2 kids who don’t always like the same things. We also don’t deny them meat. Bolognaise night might end up a veg bog-into a meat bog-into a batch of GF spag and a batch of regular spag...

We make it work somehow. Probably 3/4 of our meals are one for all and the other 1/4 are a mix n match. Tonight, for example, the missus made up meat and veg tacos. Kids love their mince and it is easy protein so we’ll let them make their own choice as they get older as much as it grates on us preparing it. We just give them all the info/reasons why we make the choice to not eat it. We always pay our respects to the animal so that they are always conscious of what they’re eating.

The only flaw with that plan is when you're on a long-haul flight and get that great curry three meals straight, breakfast included.
that's not the way it works - same as the standard meal, there's variation within each menu (on SQ at least, and I expect most carriers) that avoids that problem. You could also order a different special meal on each leg of a long haul flight, if you were worried about the same flavours in each meal. There are over 10 different special meals. https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/au/flying-withus/dining/specialmeals/

In any case most airline food - whether a special meal or not - is not known for its excellence. Since she was young the only thing my daughter would eat on planes is cup noodles (we used to fly Cathay a lot, living in HK). We'd often take fruit, cheese and crackers and other food that the kids liked, especially on day time flights out of Australia after Christmas when there is always a lot of good food around and the kids would inevitably be hungry outside of the meal service.

Funnily enough, my daughter's on a plane right now - flying to London via Singapore. She's more likely to eat in the lounge in Singapore (is a Platinum FF) than on the plane on the second leg (flies economy.)

I've seen it work that way with my own eyes. Order Asian/Hindu vegetarian and you'll get an Asian/Hindu breakfast too, which definitely isn't cereal, fruit and toast.

This; it's also annoying when they give you the vegan meal (no milk, yoghurt, margerine instead of butter) even though you specifically ordered the vegetarian option that allows for milk and eggs. I get that from a packing point of view, they just pack all vegetarian options as vegan, but it's a pretty poor customer experience in my opinion.

Some airlines (Qantas the major one I fly) just really fail on that front, and the meals themselves are just chock full of mushrooms and olives (two foods that are very hit and miss with people).

Singapore is pretty solid from what I've seen though.

Singapore Airlines were great when I flew with them a few years back to Japan, I asked for vegan (even though I'm vego as sometimes dairy makes me ill) and the food was pretty good, got chocolate soy milk for part of my breakfast which always makes me happy haha :D They were also really friendly.

I’m vegetarian. And we have 2 kids who don’t always like the same things. We also don’t deny them meat. Bolognaise night might end up a veg bog-into a meat bog-into a batch of GF spag and a batch of regular spag...

We make it work somehow. Probably 3/4 of our meals are one for all and the other 1/4 are a mix n match. Tonight, for example, the missus made up meat and veg tacos. Kids love their mince and it is easy protein so we’ll let them make their own choice as they get older as much as it grates on us preparing it. We just give them all the info/reasons why we make the choice to not eat it. We always pay our respects to the animal so that they are always conscious of what they’re eating.
That's slightly easier than I was imagining, not much different to one kid wanting spirals and the other waning spaghetti. Thought you were un-eggs and therefore vegan :eyes:

As far as plane food, I can't say the option with the eggs in it is really that desirable. Pre-cooked, microwaved scrambled eggs are disgusting. Finding the discussion around Asian/Hindu meals quite interesting. I flew Emirates and the meal is about 6-7 different small dishes presented together. UAE style food, I guess. I'm not sure how they'd go catering for vegetarian, but surely with 6-7 different dishes you'd have some combination that was vegetarian/vegan friendly?

Do we have any pescatarians here? i.e. vegetarian + fish? I always wondered how people end up pescatarian, like is it a stepping stone to veg or is there a health-based rationale or an ethical one? :think:

That's slightly easier than I was imagining, not much different to one kid wanting spirals and the other waning spaghetti. Thought you were un-eggs and therefore vegan :eyes:

As far as plane food, I can't say the option with the eggs in it is really that desirable. Pre-cooked, microwaved scrambled eggs are disgusting. Finding the discussion around Asian/Hindu meals quite interesting. I flew Emirates and the meal is about 6-7 different small dishes presented together. UAE style food, I guess. I'm not sure how they'd go catering for vegetarian, but surely with 6-7 different dishes you'd have some combination that was vegetarian/vegan friendly?

Do we have any pescatarians here? i.e. vegetarian + fish? I always wondered how people end up pescatarian, like is it a stepping stone to veg or is there a health-based rationale or an ethical one? :think:
Nah, un_eggs has everything to do with nothing and nothing to do with anything. Or does it?

I've seen it work that way with my own eyes. Order Asian/Hindu vegetarian and you'll get an Asian/Hindu breakfast too, which definitely isn't cereal, fruit and toast.
well, yes. But you don't get the same curry meal - which is what you said. Obviously if you want cereal - or a western breakfast then ask for it - most airlines that carry it will give you a packet of (disgusting high sugar) cereal. I've even seen them give out extra breakfasts on request. Or bring your own (as another FF mate does for his high fibre, no added sugar, body is his temple breakfast preference.) And if you don't like curry then don't order that meal, sheesh! It's airline food, not a dining experience.

Flew QF domestic just now to Perth, food was excellent (can't tell you about the veg option though - was a salad with sweet potato). Flew QF to Adelaide last week end - both veg and non-veg options were dire. In neither case was my travel experience determined by the food.

well, yes. But you don't get the same curry meal - which is what you said. Obviously if you want cereal - or a western breakfast then ask for it - most airlines that carry it will give you a packet of (disgusting high sugar) cereal. I've even seen them give out extra breakfasts on request. Or bring your own (as another FF mate does for his high fibre, no added sugar, body is his temple breakfast preference.) And if you don't like curry then don't order that meal, sheesh! It's airline food, not a dining experience.

Flew QF domestic just now to Perth, food was excellent (can't tell you about the veg option though - was a salad with sweet potato). Flew QF to Adelaide last week end - both veg and non-veg options were dire. In neither case was my travel experience determined by the food.

I've definitely had the same identical meal on SQ before for dinner and breakfast. Fortunately it was quite nice.

These eyes of yours, are they vegan friendly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back