Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunate choice of phrase by Nick Dal Santo: "It doesn't matter if you're Bailey Smith...or young Joe Blow..."

The one that they all use and irritates me greatly is "at its highest point"

No-one ever takes the ball at its highest point. The ball regularly goes over goal post height. Nobody is grabbing it up there.

What they should be saying is "at full stretch" or "at full/maximum reach"
And half the time the player is actually on the way down when he does grab it. Reckon it was a Dermie phrase originally to make him sound clever. I love his description when the ball goes out bounds “the whole ball must go all the way to the outside of the chalk”. Dude its not 1985 country footy.

On AFL 360 tonight, Mark Robinson asked Simon Goodwin; "this time last year, Melbourne were ranked number 1 for pressure. At the moment, you are ranked 17. Is this by design?"

On AFL 360 tonight, Mark Robinson asked Simon Goodwin; "this time last year, Melbourne were ranked number 1 for pressure. At the moment, you are ranked 17. Is this by design?"
lols. It'd be a bit like: "Nobes, North have lost their last 259 games by more than 100 points; is that by design?" :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane Cornes on Footy Classified last night "That gives me some thought of pause." (was probably looking for "pause for thought")

The one that they all use and irritates me greatly is "at its highest point"

No-one ever takes the ball at its highest point. The ball regularly goes over goal post height. Nobody is grabbing it up there.

What they should be saying is "at full stretch" or "at full/maximum reach"
Well said

Remove this Banner Ad

Back