Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, blow me down.

What does honing in on mean?

phrasal verb

honed in on; honing in on; hones in on. US. : to find and go directly toward (someone or something)The missile was honing in on its target. usually used figuratively.
View attachment 1996489
https://www.merriam-webster.com › ...

Mind you, Americans have some ridiculous speech habits.

Yep - you can hone a craft, or you can hone IN ON a target, but you can't hone IN ON a craft (unless your craft is a target I suppose? Some folks are very creative...)

Well, blow me down.

What does honing in on mean?

phrasal verb

honed in on; honing in on; hones in on. US. : to find and go directly toward (someone or something)The missile was honing in on its target. usually used figuratively.
View attachment 1996489
https://www.merriam-webster.com › ...

Mind you, Americans have some ridiculous speech habits.
Yeah, stuff 'em. That's just more dumb, wrong American bulldust. :grinv1: There's no such thing as a honing pigeon

You 'hone' a cylinder block ie. ,very much a finishing procedure so don't know how that fits the definition
I guess in this context it means smooth.

verb
  1. 1.
    smooth and sharpen (a blade).
    "he was carefully honing the curved blade"
    refine or perfect (something) over a period of time.
    "some of the best players in the world honed their skills playing street football"

Haydn McLean
Goes down holding his groin after a marking contest

BT
"I'm not sure if this is good news or not"

Benefit of the doubt, BT meant "bad news or not"
Conspiracy theorist, BT meant "good news for the Melbourne-based team"
Reality, BT is an idiot.

Daisy Thomas thursday night says “turning on his dime” -

The term is ‘Can turn ON a dime’. Not real sure we carry dimes in this country….and Thomas has gambled all his away anyway.

Last edited:
I stand corrected - Cambridge and Oxford both say you can “hone in on a target”.

Apologies all.

coy GIF

Listening to Triple M in the car on the way home, Charlie Cameron gets it about thirty seconds into the second term and whoever was commentating exclaimed “Cameron, right on the fitty

No. Absolutely not. Just don’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure I heard Alistair Lynch in yesterdays' game mention that Will Day had 7 of his 8 possessions in the first quarter - at the quarter time break.
Sounds like something he would say.

D Russell did explain to everyone though that with a quarter gone, there are still three quarters left to play.

Mesmerising content, really.

Just caught a clip of Richo from yesterday commentating the Saints v Dees, admonishing himself for the following…

“Jeez he looks like his dad, Taj (Woewodin), when you look at his…face…as they often do, obviously…”

The pauses when he realises he’s talking utter sh*te but is too far gone to pull out 🤣 love it

This one gave me a little lol. Caleb Daniel was interviewed by Caroline Wilson, Leigh Matthews and Tim Lane on 3AW today. When Lane asked Caleb about Bontempelli's hair, he said, "If Bont grows it back he might get some more lovin' throughout the sheets".
Ha. I'm surprised that Carro didn't express any faux outrage :tongueoutv1:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back