VFL VFL Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Sparkes, Wonthaggi

The winger has helped the Power make the grand final after another impressive season. He’s played 17 games, kicked 10 goals and was among the best in 11.

Jack Hutchinson, Wonthaggi

Hutchinson has been one of the leading forwards to help the Power make the grand final. He’s kicked 33 goals in 13 games, including four in the qualifying final against Leongatha.

Bit of BnF

1. Campbell Hustwaite – 176 votes
2. Finlay Macrae – 175
3. Trent Bianco – 166
4. Neville Jetta – 141
5. Josh Carmichael – 138

This review is probably about right
We had some good wins (casey) and some bad wins (Willy in the final) The gap between our best and worst is too far apart.
But we saw some good development from the kids. The likes of Oscar, Allan and Ryan will be better for the experience.

Well beaten by most of the teams above them but far too good for most of the teams below. That sums up the 2023 Smithy's VFL season for Collingwood.

BY THE NUMBERS​

Position: 8th (after finals)
W-L-D (%): 12-8 (118.4%)
Players used: 48
Played every match: 1 – Cooper Murley
AFL players used: 24
Debutants: 11 – Ed Allan, Harry Flynn, Zach Greeves, Jedd Longmire, Dan McStay*, Jovan Petric, Rye Penny, Joe Richards, Jakob Ryan, Oscar Steene and Jonathan Tomasiello (*previously played NEAFL)

STAR PERFORMERS​

Best and Fairest: 1st: Campbell Hustwaite, 2nd: Finlay Macrae, 3rd: Trent Bianco, 4th: Neville Jetta, 5th: Josh Carmichael
J.J. Liston Trophy votes: Trent Bianco (10), Josh Carmichael (8), Finlay Macrae (7)
Coaches MVP votes: Finlay Macrae (52), Josh Carmichael (38), Trent Bianco (31)
VFL Team of the Year representatives: Nil
Goalkickers: Reef McInnes (32), Tom Wilson (27), Nathan Kreuger (24)

STAT LEADERS​

(Averages – minimum 6 matches)

Disposals: Finlay Macrae (25.6), Trent Bianco (23.4), Josh Carmichael (22.4)
Kicks: Trent Bianco (15.8), Trey Ruscoe (15.3), Josh Carmichael (13.2)
Handballs: Finlay Macrae (13.1), Campbell Hustwaite (12.3), Lachlan Tardrew (11.1)
Marks: Ash Johnson (5.6), Will Kelly (5.5), Trent Bianco (5.4)
Tackles: Finlay Macrae (5.8), Campbell Hustwaite (5.4), Aiden Begg (4.9)
Hitouts: Oscar Steen (13.9), Aiden Begg (13.8), Liam Purcell (3.2)
Clearances: Campbell Hustwaite (5.0), Aiden Begg (4.7), Finlay Macrae (4.7)
Inside-50s: Finlay Macrae (5.5), Josh Carmichael (4.2), Campbell Hustwaite (3.8)
Rebound-50s: Trey Ruscoe (5.7), Campbell Lane (4.3), Jakob Ryan (4.2)

WHAT WENT RIGHT​

When the Magpies were on, they were right on. Wins of 95, 92, 75, 74, 52, 51 and 50 points against non-finalists proves their eventual finishing position was about right. They also upset Casey Demons on the King’s Birthday weekend and recorded wins against arch-rivals Carlton, Essendon and then Richmond in their Wildcard Round playoff. Campbell Hustwaite continued to lead from the front while Fin Macrae, Trent Bianco and Josh Carmichael did everything they could to break into the powerhouse AFL team. They had the sixth best attack, led by Reef McInnes kicking bags of goals.

WHAT WENT WRONG​

They would be bitterly disappointed with their showing in the elimination final against Williamstown. While they haven’t won on the ground in more than 120 years, kicking just three goals in a sudden death game despite fielding 15 AFL-listed players will leave a hollow feeling after a solid season as they went out at the same stage as last year. Apart from the King’s Birthday they didn’t beat a team that finished above them, losing by an average of 45 points to the top six teams. Not having a dominant ruckman hurt them, with Oscar Steene certain to be much improved from the experience against a group of quality big men as he grows into his body.

SUMMARY​

Well beaten by most of the teams above them, far too good for most of the teams below. That pretty much sums it up for the Magpies. With the rise of the AFL team to win the premiership, a lot of VFL stars struggled to get a look in at the highest level despite performing well in the VFL. Meanwhile, the VFL-listers including captain Campbell Hustwaite, Lachie Tardrew and Campbell Lane held up their end of the bargain. The numbers suggest they should have potentially gone better than they did, but the biggest problem was the gap between their best and their worst.

GRADE​

6/10

Last edited:
56b6781d98aed871b2362ccfddc3155b.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope this is a sign of things to come with more social media love for our VFL team in 2024
Lets hope so.
Including game updates and reviews. Pretty much was non existent this year

One less home game sucks, and 4 byes... but I understand why (not the bye, those suck major)

The Big V could make a comeback to state league representative football next season.
Planning is underway for a VFL-SANFL clash in Adelaide as part of the 2024 AFL Gather Round.

The AFL has told VFL clubs the game has not been confirmed but next year’s draw will be built around the April 6-7 weekend being set aside for state football.

No home-and-away matches will be scheduled.

The VFL last appeared at representative level in 2017, when a team missing many of the league’s best players was routed by the WAFL at the Port Melbourne ground.

WA’s 63-point triumph prompted The West Australian to report “the sad decline and seemingly inevitable demise of the VFL’’.

Port Melbourne’s Tom O’Sullivan won the Frank Johnson Medal as the VFL’s man of the match but coach Justin Plapp and his match committee had to pad out their best-player list.

Future AFL players Bayley Fritsch and Sam Switkowski were on it.

Only VFL-listed players from the league’s 21 clubs will be eligible for selection if next year’s match goes ahead.

With Smithy’s again locked in as the major sponsor, the VFL season is set to start on March 23-24 and will have three byes and the grand final on the weekend of the AFL preliminary finals.

Including the state game, each club will have four byes.

The wildcard round introduced last year – when teams placed seventh to 10th on the ladder battled it for the last two finals places – has been retained.

Two weeks ago the stand-alone clubs met AFL officials to discuss the 2023 season and possible changes to the 2024 draw to help them stay competitive.

Frankston, the Northern Bullants and the winless Coburg propped up the ladder.

League officials are planning what they call a “more balanced fixture with equitable outcomes for the different categories of clubs within the competition’’.

For the stand-alones, it means the three best-performed clubs of 2023 – grand finalist Werribee, Williamstown and Southport – will play each other twice and the other four VFL stand-alone clubs once.

The other four – Port Melbourne (15th), Frankston (19th), Northern Bullants (20th) and Coburg (21st) – will play each other twice and the other three VFL stand-alones once.

Meanwhile AFL stand-alone teams Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray Bulldogs, Geelong, North Melbourne and Richmond will be listed to play eight home games instead of nine.

The additional home games will be allocated to each of the seven VFL stand-alone clubs “as an opportunity to increase revenue and remain competitive’’.

AFL-aligned clubs Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons and Sandringham will retain nine home matches.

One less home game sucks, and 4 byes... but I understand why (not the bye, those suck major)

SANFL VFL game is a good idea for gather round. Was keen to see a SANFL match this season, but they scheduled that weekend as a bye.

Not thrilled about this if it happens, was glad when he left. I found him too selfish and nicknamed him Shocker. He doesn’t seem the type to fit into this current Collingwood philosophy but that’s just a view from the outside. I’m sure Josh and the VFL team will do what’s best. So it’s a no from me but hey I’m just an anonymous supporter.

Not thrilled about this if it happens, was glad when he left. I found him too selfish and nicknamed him Shocker. He doesn’t seem the type to fit into this current Collingwood philosophy but that’s just a view from the outside. I’m sure Josh and the VFL team will do what’s best. So it’s a no from me but hey I’m just an anonymous supporter.
I think he's grown up a bit since he left. Lets wait and see.

I’d assume he’s not the same kid pushing for senior selection as he was when last with us. Now a mature aged state league player, senior aspirations long faded. Very happy to welcome him home.

Where does your view of selfishness come from?

Where does your view of selfishness come from?
Watching every game he played with us. He was constantly doing stuff he just didn’t have the skill to do. Thus why he got cut in the first place. Not convinced he’s a good role model to have in the VFL maybe other teams but not us, we’ve come a long way since him and let’s not upset the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back