Society/Culture Vilifying Amber Heard

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

Vilifying Amber Heard Shows We Learned Nothing From GamerGate

It was a defamation trial about three vague sentences in a 2018 op-ed where Heard references her personal experience with sexual violence and abuse.​
She does not mention Johnny Depp in the op-ed, but he sued her for $50 million in damages. Before this trial, Depp tried suing for libel after British tabloid The Sun called him a “wife beater,” a phrase a U.K. judge found to be accurate after deeming 12 counts of alleged assault proven.​

From Gamergate to AmberTurd: The alt-right is hijacking the Depp v Heard trial

The case itself is complicated. In court, the outcome ultimately rests on whether or not Heard committed defamation in a 2016 op-ed (in which Depp was not named). None of which appears to matter to those whose support for Depp includes attacking Heard online. As well as negative and abusive hashtags, there have also been coordinated attacks on those who have testified on her behalf, with users leaving fake negative reviews for mental health professionals including David Spiegel, who took to the stand this week.
This coordinated anger against Amber Heard has also been taken up by some publications. Website The Daily Wire spent thousands of dollars on Facebook ads, while Fox News, published an article using the tweets of a GamerGate proponent that was mocking Heard’s appearance. Coverage of the case by alt-right pundits has primarily focused on Heard as the woman who (supposedly) broke the #metoo movement.​

I expect BigFooty to be split down ideological lines on this.

Did we learn nothing from GamerGate? Or did we learn how to do it even better?

dunno about blaming it on the right, but I find the pile-on really creepy and weird. Seems to be about a 50/50 split of incel types and cat ladies who love Depp so much they can’t see that there is plenty of evidence to show that he is an abuser

dunno about blaming it on the right, but I find the pile-on really creepy and weird. Seems to be about a 50/50 split of incel types and cat ladies who love Depp so much they can’t see that there is plenty of evidence to show that he is an abuser

The Daily Wire spent a lot of money, paying over $20k just to promote a single article "The Attempted Character Assassination of Johnny Depp" on facebook, it was promoted on Candace Owen's page and Ben Shapiro was posting like he was possessed.

Not that interested in it initially, then I realised I was seeing a well coordinated campaign. The abuse levelled against Amber Heard was so vile it was making me feel sick, so I weighed in with a couple of tweets for her and became a target. For the first time in over ten years, I got warnings off twitter.

Sick stuff.

The Daily Wire spent a lot of money, paying over $20k just to promote a single article "The Attempted Character Assassination of Johnny Depp" on facebook, it was promoted on Candace Owen's page and Ben Shapiro was posting like he was possessed.

Not that interested in it initially, then I realised I was seeing a well coordinated campaign. The abuse levelled against Amber Heard was so vile it was making me feel sick, so I weighed in with a couple of tweets for her and became a target. For the first time in over ten years, I got warnings off twitter.

Sick stuff.
Sorry to hear it.

Did you see the fake accounts pushing the "#cut4amber"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard responded to a previous allegation that the crap was a joke “gone horribly wrong.” She said that was “absolutely not” the case.​
“First of all, I don’t think that’s funny. I don’t know what grown woman does,” Heard told the jury. “I was also not in a pranking mood. My life was falling apart ... I had just been attacked on my 30th birthday by my violent husband with whom I was desperately in love.”​
During this fight in 2016, Heard said Depp grabbed her pubic bone.

A UK court has already ruled that Depp likely abused Heard.​

Two apparently awful people, him probably the worse of the two for starting this insane media circus.

It felt to me like the more closely people followed the trial, the more it seemed to be driving them insane.

I'm not sure why there was such sympathy for Depp out of it, aside for the fun of calling someone Scamber. Maybe it's because people like his movies (for some reason). The whole thing was bizarre and sad, and unfortunately has probably set back the cause of domestic violence justice some way in the public's mind.

Two apparently awful people, him probably the worse of the two for starting this insane media circus.

It felt to me like the more closely people followed the trial, the more it seemed to be driving them insane.

I'm not sure why there was such sympathy for Depp out of it, aside for the fun of calling someone Scamber. Maybe it's because people like his movies (for some reason). The whole thing was bizarre and sad, and unfortunately has probably set back the cause of domestic violence justice some way in the public's mind.
Why is Amber Heard awful? Why is it fun to call her "Scamber"?

Why is Amber Heard awful? Why is it fun to call her "Scamber"?

Scamber's a fun word.

She appears to be extremely narcissistic. While the revelations throughout the trials appear that he is almost certainly an abuser and a scumbag, she doesn't come out of it looking great either, and the toxicity appears to go both ways. Someone can be awful and still be a victim.

That she copped the brunt of the public hate is probably complex, though no doubt in part a sad indication of sexism in society. But then there also seems to be a weird feeling that to love an artist's work we have to imagine them to be perfect people - as though it's impossible to love John Wayne movies because he had s**t politics. It seems people who like Johnny Depp's movies (and he probably has a better filmography than Heard, though I don't love either as actors) feel some need to barrack for him as a person. It's a strange insight into modern society, and also people's weird fascination with celebrity trials.

Scamber's a fun word.
How?

She appears to be extremely narcissistic. While the revelations throughout the trials appear that he is almost certainly an abuser and a scumbag, she doesn't come out of it looking great either, and the toxicity appears to go both ways. Someone can be awful and still be a victim.
I'm asking for examples that make her awful.

Even if it's from years of abuse. What did she do that was awful?

That she copped the brunt of the public hate is probably complex, though no doubt in part a sad indication of sexism in society. But then there also seems to be a weird feeling that to love an artist's work we have to imagine them to be perfect people - as though it's impossible to love John Wayne movies because he had s**t politics. It seems people who like Johnny Depp's movies (and he probably has a better filmography than Heard, though I don't love either as actors) feel some need to barrack for him as a person. It's a strange insight into modern society, and also people's weird fascination with celebrity trials.
It is complex, that's why I'm asking questions of people like you, who have formed an opinion on her.

What did she do?
She assaulted him as well amongst other things

<<<
Jurors were also shown an extract from a journal - which Ms Heard described as "love notes" - in which she appears to have apologised to Mr Depp.
"I'm sorry I can get crazy. I'm sorry I hurt you," she wrote. "I can get wicked when I'm hurt".
Explaining the entry, Ms Heard said that "it's important to apologise when you're trying to move past fights".>>>

Two toxic beings that should never have been put together.

Shes been caught out in lies such as :

Using specific makeup to hide injuries : that makup brand didnt exist at the time

Last edited:
i always felt it was bizarre how much traction what should have been a private matter gained on the internet and how an otherwise ordinary person in depp was being canonised on the internet. heard is young enough to be his daughter....

finding out that rwnj news media were pushing a part of the train makes a lot of sense

I find insulting nicknames fun?

I'm asking for examples that make her awful.

Even if it's from years of abuse. What did she do that was awful?

It is complex, that's why I'm asking questions of people like you, who have formed an opinion on her.

I:

a) feel like she's been piled on enough and don't have a great desire to join in
b) have tried to forget as much as possible from the stupid trial

I do think she tried to exploit domestic violence as an issue to assist in her career distastefully. The dog thing in Australia was pretty pathetic. And while far be it for me to judge people for who they have personal relationships with, but anyone associated with Elon Musk can * right off.

Anyway, your points are well made about the right attempting to use this to undermine the claims of domestic violence victims as a whole, which is of course horrendous and gross, if entirely unsurprising.

Why? And what do you enjoy about the insulting nickname "Scamber"?

I:

a) feel like she's been piled on enough and don't have a great desire to join in
But you have, which is why I'm asking you to support it.

b) have tried to forget as much as possible from the stupid trial
You remembered enough to make statements. Now you can't remember. (not a dig at you, but making a point)

Do you think it's possible you've been misled? This is the point of my thread.

I do think she tried to exploit domestic violence as an issue to assist in her career distastefully.
Based on what?
Diminishing victims of domestic violence who speak out, it's a serious problem in our society. So you must have something solid to base your claim of exploitation on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back