Vinyl

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Anyone else into vinyl?

I'm not a geek about sound quality but my ancient Technics turntable, NAD amp and Mordaunt Short speakers still deliver. It's more about the aesthetic experience. You've got artwork, sleeve notes, lyrics and physical interaction with the music - which you don't get with streaming services. If you have friends over it's always a talking point when they browse through.

I'm not a massive collector but I've got about 200 albums, mostly from the 70s and 80s. I recently sorted them into alphabetical order and found a few gems that I had forgotten about. I've been trying to add to my collection with good condition originals but it's pricey. Fleetwood Mac, Rumours and Lou Reed, Transformer were about $50 each.

Good stuff.
yes, I am balls deep in the rabbit hole with records.
If you haven't already, look into cleaning if you want to extract more performance from your records.
With a clean good pressing (and well mastered), and they are not all good, and good playback gear, the sound is untouchable by anything digital.
Quite remarkable for a tech that is well over 100 years old.

Good stuff.
yes, I am balls deep in the rabbit hole with records.
If you haven't already, look into cleaning if you want to extract more performance from your records.
With a clean good pressing (and well mastered), and they are not all good, and good playback gear, the sound is untouchable by anything digital.
Quite remarkable for a tech that is well over 100 years old.

I suppose there's a couple of a few different rabbit holes that are interrelated. Collecting albums in their original vinyl form with sleeves, posters, lyrics etc. Or replicating the original sound whether by the quality of your equipment, or a well produced album.

What gear have you got? I've been using my Mordaunt Short speakers as I use my system when I watch movies and they have good bass. But this morning I hooked up my old AR18s and put on Joan Armatrading produced by Glyn Johns. Just amazing.

I hadn't thought much about the cleaning. I picked up a kit today at JB.

Anyone else into vinyl?

yes though i don't collect much of it these days.

once upon a time when vinyl went through that kind of dark ages moment, away from the mainstream, is probably the most fun i had. you could pick the thrift shops clean of some amazing stuff. a decent chunk of mine is classical i was interested in. mind you, i've also frisbeed into the rubbish my fair share of nana miskouri and kamahl as well, that had been hanging around in boxes for years within the family.
i've always had one eye on the metal pressings, metal was one of the genres still pumping out vinyl while the music world moved away from it. would buy some from overseas when i was getting hold of other merch. and i do love scanning the lists of tiny metal distros and seeing their offerings, not to mention their quaint ways of accepting payment or reserving your copies.

old europa cafe is a distro i peruse from time to time as well but it's a long, bumpy ride from italy.

i especially like to buy from bandcamp, kind of the anti-spotify. overall, source more locally, especially since dedicated vinyl shops appeared closer to me.

i've done the whole discogs thing too and plopped most of the collection (all media) in there. have a look into sourcing your rekkids from there if you haven't already, you might be surprised.

yes though i don't collect much of it these days.

once upon a time when vinyl went through that kind of dark ages moment, away from the mainstream, is probably the most fun i had. you could pick the thrift shops clean of some amazing stuff. a decent chunk of mine is classical i was interested in. mind you, i've also frisbeed into the rubbish my fair share of nana miskouri and kamahl as well, that had been hanging around in boxes for years within the family.
i've always had one eye on the metal pressings, metal was one of the genres still pumping out vinyl while the music world moved away from it. would buy some from overseas when i was getting hold of other merch. and i do love scanning the lists of tiny metal distros and seeing their offerings, not to mention their quaint ways of accepting payment or reserving your copies.

old europa cafe is a distro i peruse from time to time as well but it's a long, bumpy ride from italy.

i especially like to buy from bandcamp, kind of the anti-spotify. overall, source more locally, especially since dedicated vinyl shops appeared closer to me.

i've done the whole discogs thing too and plopped most of the collection (all media) in there. have a look into sourcing your rekkids from there if you haven't already, you might be surprised.

That Discogs site is dangerous! I can find anything I'm looking for but all at premium prices + postage. I might sell a few that I never play any more to fund some stuff I prefer these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back