Violence Against Women

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Couldn't find a thread on this topic. Just wanted to post a interesting video from today of a Interview by Studio 10 with Rosie batty. Rosie Batty was the mum of that boy who was killed by his dad after cricket practice. She was listening to the panel discuss the topic pre-her live cross and was disgusted in Joe Hildebrand's views. I'm not sure I've seen a bigger roast on live TV then this.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...nd-on-morning-tv/story-e6frea6u-1226872124116

It is probably about time these comedians stick to comic relief and not get involved in political debates?

Last edited:
Seems like a pointless law that is only going to incite anger amongst Violence against woman groups. Surely if a woman fails to report for reason other then a fear for their safety then both Mum and dad can be prosecuted. Im pretty sure that has been the case here in SA with a number of cases

Couldn't find a thread on this topic. Just wanted to post a interesting video from today of a Interview by Studio 10 with Rosie batty. Rosie Batty was the mum of that boy who was killed by his dad after cricket practice. She was listening to the panel discuss the topic pre-her live cross and was disgusted in Joe Hildebrand's views. I'm not sure I've seen a bigger roast on live TV then this.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...nd-on-morning-tv/story-e6frea6u-1226872124116

It is probably about time these comedians stick to comic relief and not get involved in political debates?

They would if they were actually funny. It's amazing how comedian = political expert on Channel 10. Very bizarre. Says a lot for how professional the media isn't.

She's the misinformed one. She's decided that woman are the victims because they're women and its quite offensive to male victims.Has she ever stopped to think why men don't report?

No, this really isn't true. There was context to her argument, and also, the same point in her argument applies. Men don't report that their partners are abusing their children because they are scared, and vice versa. You are reading far too much into her actual words, rather than the idea/point of it.

Fact of the matter is, plenty of partners of both genders (and neither gender probably, think that was passed today or something) do not report child abuse for fear of their own, but more specifically, their childrens lives.

There was context to her argument, and also, the same point in her argument applies. Men don't report that their partners are abusing their children because they are scared, and vice versa. You are reading far too much into her actual words, rather than the idea/point of it.

Fact of the matter is, plenty of partners of both genders (and neither gender probably, think that was passed today or something) do not report child abuse for fear of their own, but more specifically, their childrens lives.
I disagree, she clearly labelled him male, and implied he being male, he could never understand being a victim of domestic violence.

I suspect her being upset with Joe and the subsequent rant, is a result of a deep guilt inside her knowing that she didn't do enough to protect her son, and the need to convince herself that she did do everything she could?? Admittedly i don't understand her situation, nor do I blame her for what happened, and its just my take on it

I suspect her being upset with Joe and the subsequent rant, is a result of a deep guilt inside her knowing that she didn't do enough to protect her son, and the need to convince herself that she did do everything she could?? Admittedly i don't understand her situation, nor do I blame her for what happened, and its just my take on it

That's a bit rough, I don't think we are able to question her motives.

I think there is a lot of merit in what Joe said, no doubt blown out of all proportion.

I've never had any time for these TV wankfests.
It makes me ill that the blond nobody comes in to defend Hildy??
These people live on faux indignation.

I disagree, she clearly labelled him male, and implied he being male, he could never understand being a victim of domestic violence.

Good point really... I didnt pick that up. When you think about it kids from domestic relationship are either boy or girls. And those boys grow up to be men.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7:39.....Welcome to live television Joe....bit different to one of those chummy tightly stage managed 'opinion' segments you used to do on Sunrise isn't it mate.

Hard not to feel sorry for him in the end though...he was so very desperate to show how he is the most PC sensitive new age man in the universe...only to come out looking like the sort of bloke Joe would likely look down his self righteous nose at as a misogynist dinosaur.

Won't live that down for a while I would suggest.

Yeah... He really had no where to go. His blonde co-host tried to save him...FAIL. then he politely asked if he would have his say or let her keep going. She said she wanted to keep going... he waited for her to re-start her rant but she paused... his response was priceless with the hands semi-thrown in the air like "Ive got nothin". Lessons be learnt for him I think

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yeah... He really had no where to go. His blonde co-host tried to save him...FAIL. then he politely asked if he would have his say or let her keep going. She said she wanted to keep going... he waited for her to re-start her rant but she paused... his response was priceless with the hands semi-thrown in the air like "Ive got nothin". Lessons be learnt for him I think

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quite the bake wasn't it.

By blonde co-host, do you mean the one running the bob hairdo/Ridge Forrester chin combo, who kept trying to make it all about her, by continually reminding the audience throughout the entire segment of the fact she had 'personal experience of domestic violence' etc

Don't get me wrong guys...I understand that because she saw her mate across the desk getting cooked like a pig on a spit, the self protection instinct that likely dominates her two dozen brain cells, would of been taking over, so she clearly felt the need to publicly stake herself as some kind of authority on the issue.

But to see her trying to go all Sunrise style personal anecdotes like that, whilst on the other end of the satellite feed was a distraught and angry women who a few months prior had witnessed her ex husband murder there son inside a cricket net...one of the more grotesquely out of touch efforts in recent memory from the usually oh so classy Aussie media im afraid.

She's the misinformed one. She's decided that woman are the victims because they're women and its quite offensive to male victims.Has she ever stopped to think why men don't report?

Unfortunately this is an issue across society, and clearly affects women more as they are more often the victim.

She has very valid points, and the host's comments were completely out of line.

Last edited:
Well since DV agencies don't take stats on male victims, provide no shelter, no counseling, nothing. Its easy for you to say that.

But you're very wrong.

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current series/rip/1-10/07.html

• 4.7 percent of females (363,000) were physically assaulted in the 12 months prior to the survey and of these women, 31 percent (73,800) were assaulted by their current or former partner.
  • 10 percent of men (779,800) were physically assaulted in the 12 months prior to the survey, 4.4 percent (21,200) of whom were assaulted by their current or former partner.
  • 2.1 percent of women (160,100) and 0.9 percent of men (68,100) aged 15 years and over have experienced violence from a current partner and 15 percent of women (1,135,500) and 4.9 percent of men (367,300) have experienced violence from a former partner.
  • 1.6 percent of women (126,100) had experienced sexual violence in the 12 months prior to the survey and 21 percent of these women (21,500) identified a previous partner as the perpetrator.

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current series/rip/1-10/07.html

• 4.7 percent of females (363,000) were physically assaulted in the 12 months prior to the survey and of these women, 31 percent (73,800) were assaulted by their current or former partner.
  • 10 percent of men (779,800) were physically assaulted in the 12 months prior to the survey, 4.4 percent (21,200) of whom were assaulted by their current or former partner.
  • 2.1 percent of women (160,100) and 0.9 percent of men (68,100) aged 15 years and over have experienced violence from a current partner and 15 percent of women (1,135,500) and 4.9 percent of men (367,300) have experienced violence from a former partner.
  • 1.6 percent of women (126,100) had experienced sexual violence in the 12 months prior to the survey and 21 percent of these women (21,500) identified a previous partner as the perpetrator.

I remember seeing a Canadian study on DV, they did it in 2 stages...First they asked the 'usual' questions and got the expected results (probably akin to what you have here), then they asked a long list of specific questions. Have you ever done X to a partner/has a partner ever done X to you. (sorry, no time to look it up right now).

Generally speaking, Female victims & Male perpetrators had similar overall responses to both questions (so if 30% of women were victims in Q1, roughly 30% were victims in Q2), but the rates of Female perpetrators and male victims rose significantly on the second question, to a level where they were quite similar...With the general distinction (when asked later) being that they didn't see that as domestic violence, thus it was significantly under reported.

I recall an ex-gf of mine used to hit me and scream at me when she didn't get her way, and went off her tree when, after being hit on a number of occasions I told her if she did it again, I'd hit her back....The idea that I could threaten her with domestic violence! When she did calm down enough for me to ask what the difference was, she kinda saw my point and didn't hit me again (The screaming didn't stop and ended up being a significant part of why I left her).

Ive only heard snippets on mmm this morning but was he answering about the new proposed law to punish those who dont report child abuse?

His answer was pretty accurate. Does this new law take into account mothers/fathers who dont report abuse by their partners? There is as much responsibility of these individuals as there are any other person who knows and does not report child abuse.

Her response was to attack the person (joe) and not the issue as such. Yes women are afraid for their safety and the safety of their children and maybe a reason not to report. But that is because the law does not protect them enough when they do report it. That is a total different issue and one that is wide spread as we have seen in recent murder/child abuse crimes in the past 12 months.

But either way he wont come out looking good in this 'argument' as he is taking on a woman who has had her life torn apart from what happened to her son.

I remember seeing a Canadian study on DV, they did it in 2 stages...First they asked the 'usual' questions and got the expected results (probably akin to what you have here), then they asked a long list of specific questions. Have you ever done X to a partner/has a partner ever done X to you. (sorry, no time to look it up right now).

Generally speaking, Female victims & Male perpetrators had similar overall responses to both questions (so if 30% of women were victims in Q1, roughly 30% were victims in Q2), but the rates of Female perpetrators and male victims rose significantly on the second question, to a level where they were quite similar...With the general distinction (when asked later) being that they didn't see that as domestic violence, thus it was significantly under reported.

I recall an ex-gf of mine used to hit me and scream at me when she didn't get her way, and went off her tree when, after being hit on a number of occasions I told her if she did it again, I'd hit her back....The idea that I could threaten her with domestic violence! When she did calm down enough for me to ask what the difference was, she kinda saw my point and didn't hit me again (The screaming didn't stop and ended up being a significant part of why I left her).

I have no doubt there are men who are victims of domestic violence, and by no means am I suggesting that their experiences are less important.

However, its also ludicrous to state that a woman who has seen the most brutal and horrific experienced is misinformed (which that poster did suggest)

I have no doubt there are men who are victims of domestic violence, and by no means am I suggesting that their experiences are less important.

However, its also ludicrous to state that a woman who has seen the most brutal and horrific experienced is misinformed (which that poster did suggest)

Why is that ludicrous?

I wouldn't have thought that by experiencing domestic violence, you are automatically 'informed' on the topic as a whole. (I'm not necessarily suggesting that Rosie Batty is misinformed on the subject, just that I wouldn't consider her an expert on domestic violence simply by virtue of her having been a victim).

Why is that ludicrous?

I wouldn't have thought that by experiencing domestic violence, you are automatically 'informed' on the topic as a whole. (I'm not necessarily suggesting that Rosie Batty is misinformed on the subject, just that I wouldn't consider her an expert on domestic violence simply by virtue of her having been a victim).

She is informed on the topic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back