Voss on "On The Couch" last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Danni

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 11, 2000
Anyone see it? He was fantastic.

He never ceases to amaze me with his self modesty, and unabashed praise for those around him or in other teams that he thinks are great.

I think what struck me the most was his self-inclusion in the teams performance (or lack there of) against Melbourne at the Gabba. Even though he wasn't playing, through no fault of his own, he took on responsiblity for the loss, as a member of the team. A few years ago up here that was unheard of. I couldnt' imagine back then a player who didn't actually play in the game counting himself as part of the loss.

He certainly chuffed Wallsy when crediting him with his 'eyes at the ball' technique. Apparently when he was young and green in the Brisbane Bears he went towards the ball, lifted his eyes and saw a pack heading straight for him. Walls told him if he kept doing that he would have a very short lived footy career, and to always make sure he just worries about keeping his eyes on the ball.

Other good things in the inteview were his admissions of devestation at the announcement of the merger, how that is now a thing of the past, how he feels a part of the Lions now, thru to his embaressment at playing so badly against Carlton last year, infront of the Fitzroy TOC members present that day, and feeling that he had let them and their achievement down.

Now is it just me, or does he look like has bulked up even more in the last couple of weeks as well? He looked HUGE!

Glad to hear it was a good one. Got it on tape. I'll watch it tonight (I hope).

I must say On The Couch is my favourite footy show now. Though the Carey week was very average.

Originally posted by Danni
He certainly chuffed Wallsy when crediting him with his 'eyes at the ball' technique. Apparently when he was young and green in the Brisbane Bears he went towards the ball, lifted his eyes and saw a pack heading straight for him. Walls told him if he kept doing that he would have a very short lived footy career, and to always make sure he just worries about keeping his eyes on the ball.

Although a lot of people seem to "not like" R.Walls for his comments in the media (which I don't particularly mind), I've always thought that he was a very good coach who acheived success not only on a team based level (getting 3 clubs to finals, and one to a Premiership - unlucky not to have done so with Fitzroy), but he also achieved a high rate of success with individuals - helping players to refine their games, and develop them into bonafide stars.

Other good things in the inteview were his admissions of devestation at the announcement of the merger, how that is now a thing of the past, how he feels a part of the Lions now, thru to his embaressment at playing so badly against Carlton last year, infront of the Fitzroy TOC members present that day, and feeling that he had let them and their achievement down.

That was always one of the areas in which I could see a Brisbane-based team benefitting from mergring with a Victorian team with a long and proud history.

When you look at the most successful Victorian clubs, you tend to get the impression that success is expected - and in fact, that their success is bred from successes in the past.

I think that Voss is a majestic footballer and a magnificent leader of our unique club. His acknowledgement of his thoughts at the merger announcement and subsequent embracing of the Roys elements and history, combined with his Bears background make him the perfect person to lead us. Sometimes you wonder about AFL players, whether they are just doing it for the cash. Sure they have talent and they are using it to play football, but sometimes you wonder if they also have that emotional attachment that us supporters have, to the guernsey, organisation and the people who are most important to football - the bloody fans.

You watch him play and it inspires you. You listen to him talk and it inspires you. You watch his reactions (such as the at the final siren after last yrs GF, or him singing the club song with alsolute gusto last weekend) and it inspires you. He is the complete package.

There was some conjecture about the usefulness of the Fitzroy connection with an interstate team but Michael's thoughts on that shocking performance v Blues AND the fact that they wouldn't be satisfied until they could look the Fitzroy champions in the eye, to me, was the turning point of the club - the past can inspire the present into the future.

And anyone who was at Brunswick St. on the day after the GF couldn't help but be inspired ( well.. basically gobsmacked ) by the achievements of the group.

Also his achievement of recovering from his leg injuries in 98 to become a stellar player compare with Hird's comeback. It's no coincidence that these guys are at the top of their profession.

Vossy is a true ambassador for the game. He is the consumate footballer, he plays superbly and is a great captain and spokesman as well - a really nice genuine bloke who hasn't let success go to his head - he always has plenty of time for his fans - I'm very impressed.

We are truly lucky to have such a man at the head of a fantastic team.

Wallsy was a great coach, way better than Northey. He is a great 'expert' commentator, his comments are always spot on the mark and it's obvious he still loves Brisbane through watching his comments on "On The Couch". Top bloke, set the club up for where we are today. Welcome back at the club at any time!

Originally posted by Bjay
Vossy is a true ambassador for the game. He is the consumate footballer, he plays superbly and is a great captain and spokesman as well - a really nice genuine bloke who hasn't let success go to his head - he always has plenty of time for his fans - I'm very impressed.

We are truly lucky to have such a man at the head of a fantastic team.
Very well said mate! :D *applauds*

One of my kids said at the time of the program.
I am so glad he is our onfield leader, our team is in good hands.

So true. He inspires just listening to him, he is loyal, he is modest.

A truely great leader of our club. We are sure privileged to have him at the helm.

Originally posted by CarterS
Wallsy was a great coach, way better than Northey. He is a great 'expert' commentator, his comments are always spot on the mark and it's obvious he still loves Brisbane through watching his comments on "On The Couch". Top bloke, set the club up for where we are today. Welcome back at the club at any time!

Agreed.

And doesn't Mike Sheahan love Vossy and Leigh Matthews.

I loved every minute he spoke.

Michael spoke fluently, honestly and with confidence.

He is a true leader on the field and it is no wonder he wins the many awards that he so rightly deserves.

Now is it just me, or does he look like has bulked up even more in the last couple of weeks as well? He looked HUGE!

Danni, I thought the same thing. Licuria was on before Vossy and the contrast in their size was AMAZING. Vossy would knock Licuria over just by walking past him.

That said, I am always amazed at how Michael has evolved into such an immaculate media liaison. Nothing is ever too much for him, he is well spoken, honest and MOST IMPORTANTLY: he is genuine - no pretense or vagaries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back