Wade - A vote of NO CONFIDENCE, sack him ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't buy the paper, is the Advocate the only one doing stories like this?

Little has changed since SFL collapse
A FORMER Coastal football club administrator said yesterday he was not surprised to hear of clubs losing confidence in AFL Tasmania and its general manager Scott Wade.

The story ended with this slight exaggeration
Australia's largest online Australian Rules football forum, Bigfooty.com, also carried two pages of negative comments on the issue yesterday following the story in The Advocate.

Unfortunately the Advocate does its usual small minded approach saying too much power is centralised in Hobart. Whats it got to do with Hobart? The TCA is centralised in Hobart & is a great sport success story for Tasmania. The problem is that the administration of football in this state is dysfunctional. Kingpin is right. They spend too much time planning & scheming. Not enough time promoting & HELPING the volunteers run football, in ALL parts of the state. Its about time the directors of AFL Tas came out from the shadows & started to justify whats going on. Also the polititians & sponsors should be asking why grass roots clubs are dying?, where is the money going?

Unfortunately the Advocate does its usual small minded approach saying too much power is centralised in Hobart. Whats it got to do with Hobart? The TCA is centralised in Hobart & is a great sport success story for Tasmania

Cricket has done really well being centralised in Hobart. We have a great state team, and regional cricket is going gangbusters... oh wait, no, it's crap. If we wanted a good state footy team, by all means centralise it in Hobart. Matty Armstrong did that, got a bunch of good players to move South, and the Devils did a good job. But I think what everyone in Tassie wants is strong footy teams across the state, not just one really good team in Hobart. Why isn't AFL Tas headquarted at Aurora Stadium? It makes a lot of sense. It's only two hours from everywhere, not four hours away from Burnie like Hobart is. It's the best footy stadium in Tasmania. AFL games are played there. Can anyone actually think of a sensible answer to this (that isn't 'Hobart is, like, where the people are... and stuff')??

The problem is that the administration of football in this state is dysfunctional. Kingpin is right. They spend too much time planning & scheming. Not enough time promoting & HELPING the volunteers run football, in ALL parts of the state. Its about time the directors of AFL Tas came out from the shadows & started to justify whats going on. Also the polititians & sponsors should be asking why grass roots clubs are dying?, where is the money going?
I agree with this. I think there are too many ex-footballers employed at AFL Tasmania, and not enough people with administration/promotion skills. Just because you played in the 1987 grand final or once played 14 VFL games for Fitzroy, it doesn't mean you know anything about running a multi-million dollar organisation. They need a balance of ex-footballers who care about the game, and competent, trained administrators who know how to implement plans and programs, regardless of a football background.

EDITED TO ADD: The Advocate is the only paper doing anything on this as far as I can see. Nothing in the Examiner, and nothing in the Mercury today too. Not sure why, given it's a statewide issue. Seems like the Advocate are the only ones talking to Southern clubs as well as their North-West ones.

MarkyMark said:
I agree with this. I think there are too many ex-footballers employed at AFL Tasmania, and not enough people with administration/promotion skills. Just because you played in the 1987 grand final or once played 14 VFL games for Fitzroy, it doesn't mean you know anything about running a multi-million dollar organisation. They need a balance of ex-footballers who care about the game, and competent, trained administrators who know how to implement plans and programs, regardless of a football background.
Hit the nail on the head right there :thumbsu:
If you look back through the years at names such as Merv McNeair, Don Fenton, Brian Eade, John 'Bullbars' Bennett, David Smith etc these gentlemen were all great promoters of the TFL and they had the skills to run a strong and vibrant competition.
They would pump up the league at every opportunity, everything was open book and you knew as a punter what was going on.
The silence on things and the secrecy now is disconcerting - sort it out now - so the league can move forwards, which I strongly believe it can if care is taken to nurture it.

Cricket has done really well being centralised in Hobart. We have a great state team, and regional cricket is going gangbusters... oh wait, no, it's crap. If we wanted a good state footy team, by all means centralise it in Hobart. Matty Armstrong did that, got a bunch of good players to move South, and the Devils did a good job. But I think what everyone in Tassie wants is strong footy teams across the state, not just one really good team in Hobart. Why isn't AFL Tas headquarted at Aurora Stadium? It makes a lot of sense. It's only two hours from everywhere, not four hours away from Burnie like Hobart is. It's the best footy stadium in Tasmania. AFL games are played there. Can anyone actually think of a sensible answer to this (that isn't 'Hobart is, like, where the people are... and stuff')??

EDITED TO ADD: The Advocate is the only paper doing anything on this as far as I can see. Nothing in the Examiner, and nothing in the Mercury today too. Not sure why, given it's a statewide issue. Seems like the Advocate are the only ones talking to Southern clubs as well as their North-West ones.

Why would putting AFL Tas HQ in L'ton help football? They have people in the N & NW now. Its the quality of the decision making thats the problem, not where they put their desks. Also whats your point about the cricket? Do you think we should kill of the state program just to help the NWTCA, or what? I would like to see the Devonport Oval upgraded out of the 1960's. Its not up to national standard but should be & should get some sheild, DOD & T20 played on it.
If we do ever get an AFL team it would not survive if it were based only in Hobart, it certainly wouldnt work if it only played in L'ton. But these arent the issues. Its the people running or ruining footy, that is the issue.

Originally posted by madmug
Why would putting AFL Tas HQ in L'ton help football? They have people in the N & NW now. Its the quality of the decision making thats the problem, not where they put their desks. Also whats your point about the cricket? Do you think we should kill of the state program just to help the NWTCA, or what? I would like to see the Devonport Oval upgraded out of the 1960's. Its not up to national standard but should be & should get some sheild, DOD & T20 played on it.
If we do ever get an AFL team it would not survive if it were based only in Hobart, it certainly wouldnt work if it only played in L'ton. But these arent the issues. Its the people running or ruining footy, that is the issue.

The point I was trying to make was that it's understandable why people in the North worry about the centralisation of sport in Hobart. Putting all the cricket in the South has meant a great state team, but also meant the slow death of regional cricket in the North. The same thing happening to footy would be terrible. Footy administration in Tasmania needs to have strong regional presences.

I completely agree that the decision making is the problem, not the location. But perhaps having more of a presence in the North might help them understand the issues around football up here. Like travel. Some people in Hobart (myself included when I lived there for 22 years) think the drive to Launceston is long. And how many have been past Devonport in the last 10 years??? Getting out of Hobart might help the administrators understand there are issues in football in Tasmania that extend beyond Oatlands.

Anyway, we're talking about a separate issue here. The real issue we're talking about is whether the people who currently run football in this state are the right people to do it. I don't think they are. I don't question their passion - I question their capacity. Leaders can only take their organisations as far as they have gone themselves. I think Scott Wade and his team have taken Tasmanian footy as far as they have the ability to take it.

The point I was trying to make was that it's understandable why people in the North worry about the centralisation of sport in Hobart. Putting all the cricket in the South has meant a great state team, but also meant the slow death of regional cricket in the North. The same thing happening to footy would be terrible. Footy administration in Tasmania needs to have strong regional presences.

I completely agree that the decision making is the problem, not the location. But perhaps having more of a presence in the North might help them understand the issues around football up here. Like travel. Some people in Hobart (myself included when I lived there for 22 years) think the drive to Launceston is long. And how many have been past Devonport in the last 10 years??? Getting out of Hobart might help the administrators understand there are issues in football in Tasmania that extend beyond Oatlands.

Anyway, we're talking about a separate issue here. The real issue we're talking about is whether the people who currently run football in this state are the right people to do it. I don't think they are. I don't question their passion - I question their capacity. Leaders can only take their organisations as far as they have gone themselves. I think Scott Wade and his team have taken Tasmanian footy as far as they have the ability to take it.

As I said, Footy cant really be centralised in Hobart, or anywhere. If we ever get an AFL team it would need to play up N & here in Hobart if it is to work with maximum public & sponsor support. No one wants to travel 12 odd times a year. 6 times maybe. Sticking AFL Tas office in L'ton would solve nothing. The problem is that the AFL Tas Board have complete power over our football. From that they are trying some weird social experiment to rip our clubs appart & force them in with regional clubs. If it fails like everything else they've done has failed, WE will left to suffer the mess they leave behind. They clearly accept NO responsibility for their past failures so obviously dont care about what damage they do now. I think we need to flush the AFL Board out from under the rocks, see WHO THEY ARE, & ask the question as to if they really have any idea of what they are responsible for. The public have a right to question their competence & motives. After all WE, the sponsors & government are paying for this. NOT THEM. I do know 2 of the board havent lived in Tasmania for 20 years!!! The rest of them I dont know who or what they are. We should know them, PUBLICLY.
They are responsible for the current administration. No confidence in Wade means bugger all. At this stage I dont have much confidence in his board, they need to face us.

I see in todays Mercury that Paul Lennon is to represent the TSL clubs in AFL Tas dealings. How the hell didnt they have representation on the board in the first place. No wonder we've got such a mess with the TSL. I wonder if we will get a move with some of those board members realising what a mess they have created. Perhaps they will jump off before the ship starts to rock when big Paul jumps on:p.
Pauls Plan for Tassie footy
1) sort out AFL Tas
2) get our own AFL team & piss the Victorian visitors off. (Hawthorn are like the rellies who come to tea but end up moving in:eek:)
3) Tas Team to win an AFL flag:p

Simple as that:D

One of the feelings amongst VFL supporters here in Victoria, is that we'd love to see Tassie back in the comp.

My theory, which other VFL fans like, is that we have a "North" and "South" teams enter the comp.

Thus easier for a training base, and the old North/South Tassie rivalry is continued.

North and South could play each other twice a year, plus the boasting rights between them of who finishes higher up the ladder.

If the fixture was done properly, it could be that a visiting VFL Team plays both teams within a week. Say land in Hobart Sunday Morning for a Sunday arvo game, and then on Friday Night that play a game at Launceston. Allows Vic players who are working and their supporters to arrange a week's annual leave and spend it in Tassie - possibly even doing a footy clinic or two to promote the comp.

One of the feelings amongst VFL supporters here in Victoria, is that we'd love to see Tassie back in the comp.

My theory, which other VFL fans like, is that we have a "North" and "South" teams enter the comp.

Thus easier for a training base, and the old North/South Tassie rivalry is continued.

North and South could play each other twice a year, plus the boasting rights between them of who finishes higher up the ladder.

If the fixture was done properly, it could be that a visiting VFL Team plays both teams within a week. Say land in Hobart Sunday Morning for a Sunday arvo game, and then on Friday Night that play a game at Launceston. Allows Vic players who are working and their supporters to arrange a week's annual leave and spend it in Tassie - possibly even doing a footy clinic or two to promote the comp.

That sounds ok C House, but their is not enough money nor quality players to support it down here. Clubs here dont have pokies like Port Melbourne Frankston etc, nor do they get money for footy operations given to them by AFL Tas. Clubs survive on raffles, sponsors & the gate. Many good players are gone to VFL, Qld, etc. Of the $millions given by the AFL, most of it is kept by AFL Tas administration for shiny bums on seats. Government money is given to Hawthorn & it goes straight back to Melbourne. Footy here is stuffed. It wont get anywhere until we get our own AFL team & it supports a meaningful state league under it. But since the AFL & our polititians dont give a toss about us, footy remains stuffed.

The tasmanian government needs to stop giving that $3m to the hawks and put it back into local footy. Going by this we will have 4 times as much money meaning a 4 times better league.If we cant have a team in the best league in Australia we will make the TSL the second best league in Australia.

The tasmanian government needs to stop giving that $3m to the hawks and put it back into local footy. Going by this we will have 4 times as much money meaning a 4 times better league.If we cant have a team in the best league in Australia we will make the TSL the second best league in Australia.
yeah you right. and who wants to watch hawthorn play the sides they do. bring over the pies.

No disrespect intended but, I found it an absolute disgrace that Tasmania football money and resources was continuously being used to pump up a second tier Victorian competition that no one, even in Melbourne cares about rather than maintaining and growing our own which had a history dating back to 1879.
Whilst this was taking place in the years of 2001-2008, the rest of the Tasmanian football picture was being left to rot and die. It was disgusting and a very, very poor indictment on those in charge of the sport here at the time.
The VFL is soulless, has been since they purposely got rid of the VFA component and turned all the clubs into 'lists' for AFL teams.

It's the height of naivity to suggest the removing the Hawks from Tasmania will automatically generate millions of dollars for Tasmanian footy.

The Hawks bring thousands of tourists and therefore significant tourism income to the state. This is statistically proven (no link, but the numbers are regularly in the news), and was even a source of state govt contention when the AFL insisted on calling the Lions a Victorian team - the interstaters bring in less than the Vics. The Hawks shore up their finances from lower-drawing sides (so forget Collingwood, you won't be seeing them - any suggestion from Jeff was purely a way for him to feel the love from Tassie, knowing full well it would never be allowed to happen - hey, he's a pollie, what do you expect!), and Tasmania makes a tourism profit. At the moment its win-win, when they stop making money they'll drop the contract, and it has no impact whatsoever on the local leagues outside crowd support, where it would also be naive to blame the Hawks in the face of decades of dwindling local crowds and live VFL/AFL broadcasts...

It's tourism bucks, not sport. The biggest indictment on our sporting administrators and the factions in the government that I see, is their inability to see (or should that be ability to manipulate?) this very basic distinction between Tasmanian football and a mainland business expanding its options into Tasmania.

These attitudes helped kill off the Devils for one thing amongst others, and they do nothing to improve Tasmanian footy. Alternatively, removing the Hawks achieves nothing for footy either - Aurora was redeveloped and continues to attract the big bucks because of an AFL club's advances, not because any government anywhere suddenly got patriotic about Tasmania and its winter code. Lose the Hawks, and there's no money going to footy - it's in a different wallet. If the Hawks never came in the first place, you'd still be parking your car around the boundary at York Park today, and the SWL/Devils/TSL sequence would still have historically eventuated regardless...if anything, we'd be even worse off.

If anything, it's a stark warning that if the state gets its own AFL side, then it should look at appointing a board completely independant from Tasmania's government and sporting bodies - no Tasmanians! There's a precedent - if North went to the Gold Coast, one of the stipulations was that they would hand their board over to the AFL, which of course they flatly rejected. But the worst thing about the state govt being so professional and compelling in its AFL submission, is the fact that they'll then have the biggest stake and control over the side...the political leverage to be gained (imagine the instability at election time) would be decisive, and also as dangerous as everyone in the rowboat swinging from side to side - at some stage it'll tip over, and we're all long term losers...you need balanced independance, and in Tassie there isn't any...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the height of naivity to suggest the removing the Hawks from Tasmania will automatically generate millions of dollars for Tasmanian footy.

The Hawks bring thousands of tourists and therefore significant tourism income to the state. This is statistically proven (no link, but the numbers are regularly in the news), and was even a source of state govt contention when the AFL insisted on calling the Lions a Victorian team - the interstaters bring in less than the Vics. The Hawks shore up their finances from lower-drawing sides (so forget Collingwood, you won't be seeing them - any suggestion from Jeff was purely a way for him to feel the love from Tassie, knowing full well it would never be allowed to happen - hey, he's a pollie, what do you expect!), and Tasmania makes a tourism profit. At the moment its win-win, when they stop making money they'll drop the contract, and it has no impact whatsoever on the local leagues outside crowd support, where it would also be naive to blame the Hawks in the face of decades of dwindling local crowds and live VFL/AFL broadcasts...

It's tourism bucks, not sport. The biggest indictment on our sporting administrators and the factions in the government that I see, is their inability to see (or should that be ability to manipulate?) this very basic distinction between Tasmanian football and a mainland business expanding its options into Tasmania.

These attitudes helped kill off the Devils for one thing amongst others, and they do nothing to improve Tasmanian footy. Alternatively, removing the Hawks achieves nothing for footy either - Aurora was redeveloped and continues to attract the big bucks because of an AFL club's advances, not because any government anywhere suddenly got patriotic about Tasmania and its winter code. Lose the Hawks, and there's no money going to footy - it's in a different wallet. If the Hawks never came in the first place, you'd still be parking your car around the boundary at York Park today, and the SWL/Devils/TSL sequence would still have historically eventuated regardless...if anything, we'd be even worse off.

If anything, it's a stark warning that if the state gets its own AFL side, then it should look at appointing a board completely independant from Tasmania's government and sporting bodies - no Tasmanians! There's a precedent - if North went to the Gold Coast, one of the stipulations was that they would hand their board over to the AFL, which of course they flatly rejected. But the worst thing about the state govt being so professional and compelling in its AFL submission, is the fact that they'll then have the biggest stake and control over the side...the political leverage to be gained (imagine the instability at election time) would be decisive, and also as dangerous as everyone in the rowboat swinging from side to side - at some stage it'll tip over, and we're all long term losers...you need balanced independance, and in Tassie there isn't any...

Thank you for the unbiased lecture. The SA & WA AFL teams need & have a reserves style competition behind them, they put money into those teams.The same happens in AFLQ. I trust with a Tas team the same would apply to our SWL. Your other points, although probably valid are not an arguement against an AFL Tas team. Relocated or not. Any team based here will generate far more for the state than Hawthorn. The multiplier effect would stay here & not be shunted of to Victoria. Simple as that.

And the latest....

Supply your own umpires'
BY MARTIN AGATYN
10 Apr, 2010 04:00 AM
AFL Tasmania has instructed its State League clubs to find and pay for its own umpires for reserves games for the remainder of the 2010 season.
The move, which could cost some clubs up to $500 a home game, or more than $4000 for the season, is being seen by some clubs as the latest bid by AFL Tasmania to destroy the reserves competition

More of the 'do what we tell you or else' approach by AFL Tas. With the shortage of umpires made worse by AFL Tas' appropriation of 'elite' umpires for the TSL comp and the umpires assoc. unable to find enough umpires to cover all comps around the state what good is this doing to footy in the State. Will it bring back the days of grabbing someone from the sidelines for boundary and goals and in the case of comps like the NEFU which an umpire told me they were unable to cover a central umpire as well?

And the latest....

Supply your own umpires'
BY MARTIN AGATYN
10 Apr, 2010 04:00 AM
AFL Tasmania has instructed its State League clubs to find and pay for its own umpires for reserves games for the remainder of the 2010 season.
The move, which could cost some clubs up to $500 a home game, or more than $4000 for the season, is being seen by some clubs as the latest bid by AFL Tasmania to destroy the reserves competition

More of the 'do what we tell you or else' approach by AFL Tas. With the shortage of umpires made worse by AFL Tas' appropriation of 'elite' umpires for the TSL comp and the umpires assoc. unable to find enough umpires to cover all comps around the state what good is this doing to footy in the State. Will it bring back the days of grabbing someone from the sidelines for boundary and goals and in the case of comps like the NEFU which an umpire told me they were unable to cover a central umpire as well?
Yes saw this today. There was an old fella doing a good job out at KGV and my first thought was that he looked like one of the old club volunteer umpires that we used to supply in the SFL days.
Funnily enough, I thought this old guy was the best ump of the lot today, did a good job :thumbsu:
AFL Tas wants the reserves to go, the standard of the comp is pretty poor from what I've seen, was last year too (there just isn't the talent pool out there anymore because player numbers are way smaller) but the clubs all want them to remain and fair enough because it brings in 22 extra people (44 with both teams) and all their partners, parents, mates etc meaning more income for the host clubs.
I was talking to someone today who was at the Glenorchy lunch today in the new stand and apparently the Pies President really dug in about the reserves comp remaining in place stating words to the effect that the reserves are staying right where they are.
I think that's a bit rough of them to dump the costs onto the clubs all of a sudden like that just quietly.

Yes saw this today. There was an old fella doing a good job out at KGV and my first thought was that he looked like one of the old club volunteer umpires that we used to supply in the SFL days.

AFL Tas wants the reserves to go, the standard of the comp is pretty poor from what I've seen, was last year too (there just isn't the talent pool out there anymore because player numbers are way smaller) but the clubs all want them to remain and fair enough because it brings in 22 extra people (44 with both teams) and all their partners, parents, mates etc meaning more income for the host clubs.

While state footy is in a sad state, some of the local clubs like NTFA for example are loaded with cash. This obviously weakens the depth of the TSL reserves, given the option of being a fringe player at one of the Launceston clubs or playing for an NTFA club on probably $200 a game or more, you can see why so many leave. From what I have seen the standard of the NTFA has certainly picked up with the introduction of the TSL due to the high numbers of decent players going for the more money/less travel approach. I honestly think some sorta of arrangements with the NTFA, NTFL and SFL to act as a second level(similar to the AFL using VFL) is the best financially.

While state footy is in a sad state, some of the local clubs like NTFA for example are loaded with cash. This obviously weakens the depth of the TSL reserves, given the option of being a fringe player at one of the Launceston clubs or playing for an NTFA club on probably $200 a game or more, you can see why so many leave. From what I have seen the standard of the NTFA has certainly picked up with the introduction of the TSL due to the high numbers of decent players going for the more money/less travel approach. I honestly think some sorta of arrangements with the NTFA, NTFL and SFL to act as a second level(similar to the AFL using VFL) is the best financially.

how would such an arrangement work:confused:. once the players go to the lesser training standards how do you get them to come back when you want them for maybe a game or two, would they train well enough to improve their skills & fitness? how would you judge that? how do you get people to watch them during games & report to the coach on their progress, when its hard to get volunteers/coaches now? how do they adjust to the cultures in two clubs, game plans for two clubs. which group of guys do they socialise with? how would the lesser club feel about players coming & going? This all happens with the AFL/VFL set up but they have the people & money to force it to happen & ignore the problems, the fully paid AFL players will play when & where they are told. Even so it causes problems in the VFL. I see they are still looking at starting a national reserves comp again, I wonder why:rolleyes:. why doesnt any other comp in Australia share players like this? In the old days players always went to the huon & southern amateurs, tasman Oatlands etc comps, I dont see that as being any different now than it was years ago. Maybe if AFLTAS spent more time getting kids to play rather than killing community clubs:eek:, we may be better off. Maybe if AFLTAS helped clubs improve the salary cap so that it makes financial sense then that too may make some sense. Just coming up with an unfunded dumb plan with no assessment of consequences for the clubs & no responsibility for AFLTAS, doesnt make it a good plan.

how would such an arrangement work:confused:. once the players go to the lesser training standards how do you get them to come back when you want them for maybe a game or two, would they train well enough to improve their skills & fitness? how would you judge that? how do you get people to watch them during games & report to the coach on their progress, when its hard to get volunteers/coaches now? how do they adjust to the cultures in two clubs, game plans for two clubs. which group of guys do they socialise with? how would the lesser club feel about players coming & going? This all happens with the AFL/VFL set up but they have the people & money to force it to happen & ignore the problems, the fully paid AFL players will play when & where they are told. Even so it causes problems in the VFL. I see they are still looking at starting a national reserves comp again, I wonder why:rolleyes:. why doesnt any other comp in Australia share players like this? In the old days players always went to the huon & southern amateurs, tasman Oatlands etc comps, I dont see that as being any different now than it was years ago. Maybe if AFLTAS spent more time getting kids to play rather than killing community clubs:eek:, we may be better off. Maybe if AFLTAS helped clubs improve the salary cap so that it makes financial sense then that too may make some sense. Just coming up with an unfunded dumb plan with no assessment of consequences for the clubs & no responsibility for AFLTAS, doesnt make it a good plan.

I quite can't work out what AFL Tas are trying to achieve or what direction they are going in. They have made it quite clear they don't want reserves but all the clubs do. Burnie would if they had they numbers that is no secret. Yet AFL tas in their own way are trying to kill of the 2's. They don't list them in the programs, and now they will not supply umpires for them and are leaving it up to the clubs. They are trying to kill it off by not supporting the 2's to the point they all leave and clubs have no choice. If senior clubs only had Seniors and u/18's. Where would their fringe senior players play? If Matt Geappen was coming back from injury and they didn't want to risk him straight up, where would he play? In the u/18's. Thats just ridiculous.

I don't believe they can get rid of the 2's based on this arguement alone. How do clubs train with 22 players (at the most 26/27 players) and conduct efficient and professional training sessions? How does a coach perform full field drills, stoppage drills leading into forward line, defensive zone drills etc etc? On any given training session there would be at least 2/3 players in rehab or unavailable, more like 5-10 most weeks on any given session, then there are work and family committments. If there is no reserves team then numbers at training will be reduced to farcical numbers on some nights, especially mid winter. AFL Tas cannot say either well you still have 18's, the clubs wont, they will be either involved with mariners or state academy at least x1 per week, often x 2 and more for the better players, most of the 18's are 15/16 yr olds. Imagine Blight and Savage gaining a true match like contest against a tall 65-70kg 18's player at training. The training standard would drop dramatically. The numbers of 18's would also be low on a regular basis as most that are not in the elite pathway ststem manage 1 session per week on average as they have lots on in life plus the private school kids have school committments as well.

The problem with AFL Tas is a simple one, it is run by ex footballers:confused: In most cases they are terrific blokes but business wise they are hopeless. Until the big AFL, which in many cases is the same, actually seriously takes some time to see how the blokes down here are stuffing things up, nothing will change. It is one great big gravy train and the only people really doing any work at present are the club coaches who are somehow trying to figure out how they can get the best out of their teams moving forward if they cannot be ceretain who and how many they will get to training.

I just pointed out the problem. Teams could lodge a 32 player list, thats plenty to train with, the others drop down. How do they adjust to different club cultures? come on now this is Tasmania, most guys are going to know other guys within the different teams... say South Launnie dropped players to Longford, half of them have have probably played with each other at some stage. I'm not saying its an ideal scenario but it's the best perhaps to keep the good players in the main league. A lot of these guys go to Uni and are short on cash so you can see why they drop from the TSL for a dodgey $300 in the pocket.

I just pointed out the problem. Teams could lodge a 32 player list, thats plenty to train with, the others drop down. How do they adjust to different club cultures? come on now this is Tasmania, most guys are going to know other guys within the different teams... say South Launnie dropped players to Longford, half of them have have probably played with each other at some stage. I'm not saying its an ideal scenario but it's the best perhaps to keep the good players in the main league. A lot of these guys go to Uni and are short on cash so you can see why they drop from the TSL for a dodgey $300 in the pocket.

the culture of training/playing at North Hobart is totally different to Cygnet I bet, or Clarence to Lindisfarne!!!!!!! Clubs now have a 50 list. I'm told that many of the players on it will never play at North, they are SFL players they dont want to lose to other clubs!!! I'm sorry but I see NO good from yet another hairbrained AFLTAS plan. They make all the changes & accept no reponsibility or help with rewarding TSL players. the $60k cap compares nicely with $350k in SANFL:rolleyes:. Abetter salary cap will help keep those players

the culture of training/playing at North Hobart is totally different to Cygnet I bet, or Clarence to Lindisfarne!!!!!!! Clubs now have a 50 list. I'm told that many of the players on it will never play at North, they are SFL players they dont want to lose to other clubs!!! I'm sorry but I see NO good from yet another hairbrained AFLTAS plan. They make all the changes & accept no reponsibility or help with rewarding TSL players. the $60k cap compares nicely with $350k in SANFL:rolleyes:. Abetter salary cap will help keep those players

I never said it was the best idea but if old w***er Wade is hellbent on getting rid of the 2's just saying this could be the best option. Also just saying what we all know is happening, that the depth of the TSL is being ripped out as it struggles to run while the regional leagues roll in cash. I can think of one player in the NTFA who probably makes more than anyone in the TSL with goal kicking bonus's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back