Keeper Lg. Warburton Wombats Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2011
Anywhere else
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat & Dolphins
Since i went with such a radical rebuild, this season is just about seeing which of my kids will be delisted and which will play a part in my future team. Mostly just doing this for myself because i'm bored, I'm gonna use this thread to track the progress of my kids and the evolution of my team over a few drafts.

Draft picks from 2018

Pick 2 LDU - Not looking quite like the sure thing i thought but the potential is still there.

pick 4 A Cerra - Should be an A grader from what i've seen so far.

pick 11 O Allen - Started the season injured so jury is still out on whether this pick pays off TBA

pick 14 Z Bailey - Looks like a good pick so far

pick 18 S Hayes - Rucks take time TBA

pick 26 A Mcpherson - TBA

pick 29 W Walker - Has been getting named emergency a lot so good signs

pick 41 D Moore TBA

pick 42 J Patmore TBA

pick 43 B Paton - Should get a game any week now, i think this pick will be a good one.

pick 44 T De Koning - Hoping he ends up a ruck but is devloping well as a R/F TBA

pick 53 H Brayshaw TBA

pick 57 M Crowden - Has been getting games early so that's a good sign. May have found a diamond in the rough here.

pick 71 A Schumacher - TBA

pick 85 T North - TBA

Free agent adds

Z Langdon - Getting games early, TBA
H Dixon - TBA
B Frampton - Fail, couldn't get a game when Port had no ruck.
B Long - Looks good, got injured sadly.
L Lavendar - TBA

Trades

C Porter - Emergency for Bulldogs a few times
R Stoddart - TBA
T Wooler - TBA

14/5/18

Mate go for it!

I've had a heap of fun building my list the last few years. It wont always pay off but when you nail those picks it feels great haha

Mate go for it!

I've had a heap of fun building my list the last few years. It wont always pay off but when you nail those picks it feels great haha
Yeh I enjoy the rebuild tbh. It's kind of more fun in a way than having a settled contending team though obviously building such a team is the goal. It's fun trying to build a list mostly from scratch though and watching your picks develop. :)

So despite another year of getting belted every week, team is making a little bit of progress and while i'm still along way off even contending for finals i have a bigger core and more assets than a year ago. Finished the season making what was probably the riskiest boom or bust trade that i've made in the grand scheme of things, trading Hugh Mcluggage for Coniglio, Devon Smith and a late 1st in the 12-14 range. Mcluggage was certainly my best player and the guy with the highest upside, probably the next Dangerfield and Rockford really had to throw everything at me to get me to give him up. At the end of the day looking down my list the talent and depth just isn't there and i felt i had to make at least one more big move to get in multiple assets. The success of this trade will ultimately come down to whether i hit with the pick/s and what i manage to get back for Smith and Coniglio, though i may hold them if the right deal isn't there since they're only 26 & 25. My drafting up the top of the order has been solid with LDU the only top 15 pick that hasn't shown what i hoped though i still hope he'll pan out, but my drafting in the later rounds has been pretty hit and miss which i guess is to be expected. I've drafted for needs too many times when i should've just been going BPA. But my lack of ruckmen & decent backs kind of forced me to target those areas.

List at the end of 2019

Fwd line looks really good and is plush with talent and versatility. Midfield not as deep as originally thought though plenty of players to build around and i should be able to add some more elite midfield talent through the draft/trades. Def has improved from it's dire condition at the end of last year but still a lot of work to do. Still need a no.1 ruck or ideally 2, though i have 5 developing rucks so it's tough to say if any will come good or how much more work there is to do there for me.

Backs

C.Mills - Stagnated somewhat this year but was still a top 200 player and top 30 back and is still only 22. Should be a core back going forward
N Answerth - Taken at pick 45, looks really good and looks to be my best mid/late round pick from the 2019 draft. Should be another core back to build around
B Paton - At this point probably my 3rd best back in terms of potential, have high hopes for him going forward.
A Cerra - Has made some small gains and been moved around a bit, don't expect him to keep back status in the future, still looks like a future A grader, hopefully gets some more midfield time and breaks out next year.
J Lever - Got back on the park and has looked decent enough, Melbourne are a shambles this year, has the potential to be a 20 touch 8 mark a game back if he can stay fit. Low floor and decent ceiling.

S Taylor - This is where my def drops off. Looks a gun key back IRL, i was hoping he would turn into a M Hurley type defender in terms of statistical output, we'll see if that's the case or if he is just going to be a dour defending type. Used pick 63 on him so not much to lose.
C Glass - Trading for Glass was the worst trade i've made, looked good early but has stagnated badly. Won't be surprised if he's back in Ireland in a year, i expect him to bust now.
A Schumacher - Got in for his debut game this year, was my 2nd last pick in 2018, was always going to be a project and is improving so i still have hope for him.
L Vandermeer - pick 39 in 2019, was out injured the 1st half of the year and still a total mystery whether he'll make it. TBA
A Mcpherson - Has just been hammered by injuries from day 1. Used pick 26 on him in 2018 as i targeted def which was a huge mistake, be very surprised if this guy ever plays an AFL game.

Midfield

S Coniglio - Got injured in the middle of a year where he was on track to possibly compete for a brownlow, acquired in a trade, clearly my best player at this point and will be my no1 mid or trade chip going into 2020.
B Smith - pick 5 from 2019, has done everything i'd hoped he would and gets better every game. Future A grader in fantasy and IRL
J Berry - Had a few injuries after a hot start this year, still ranked in the top 125 for the year at 21 years of age, should still be a very good player and core mid going forward
W Setterfield - Bit of a slow start that had me worried but has started to get going towards the end of the year. Should be a valuable mid/fwd in the future
Z Bailey - Has battled injuries all year, shows glimpses of A grade potential, hopefully he can stay on the park and start finding more of the ball

B Sier - Really disappointing year, injured and in and out of the team due to Collingwood having such a ridiculous midfield. Would love to see him get a trade to a team in need of mids. Still has very high upside but not looking like the sure thing like he was at the end of last year.
LDU - A disappointing year, in and out of the team, a few good games, will be a very telling year 3 i hope he can put it together.
J Dawson - Cost me a 3 pick downgrade from pick 42 and looks like a good trade. Had a monstrous 14 kick 8 HB 14 mark game and is only 19. Hopefully he keeps his spot and keeps building

J Kennerly - Taken with pick 47 in 2019, was never going to make an impact in year 1. TBA
H Brayshaw - Hasn't gotten a game yet, despite putting up numbers in the WAFL his career is in the balance, TBA but won't be surprised if he busts.
T North - Stagnated and still hasn't gotten a game which i'm surprised at. Was my last pick in 2018 but i really expected him to succeed. TBA but prediction is bust.
J Patmore - Did ACL in pre season, TBA
F Turner - A premature free agent add post 2019 draft, year 1 in a deep Richmond team, TBA
J Dunkley - My last free agent add, looks a decent type, if he can be anything like his brother in a few years i'll be loving this kid.

Forwards

O Allen - Was thought of as a bit of a reach when i used pick 10 on him in 2018 but has been stellar in year 2 and looks to be an absolute gun IRL & fantasy. My most prized forward.
J Lukosius - Used pick 1 on him and while a slow start had me a little worried, not to mention Sam Walsh being as good as he's been and my midfield not being as deep as i thought. That being said, has almost played every game and has really come on in the 2nd half of the year averaging 7 marks a game the last 6 games. Still just turned 19, along with Allen he's my most prized forward and should be elite.
C Zurhaar - Came out of left field this year to be my best performing forward. Multiple 5 goal games, at 21 years old he looks a gem. I almost dropped him early in the year and i'm so glad i didn't as he should be a mainstay in my fwd line.
D Smith - Coming over in the Mcluggage trade, an elite fwd in his prime. Should be a nice trade chip for 2020 or will help me get back to being a bit more competitive next year if i can't find the right deal.
E Ratugolea - Has been good this year, adds some versatility to my fwd line with him chipping in score, marks and hitouts. Along with Allen & Lukosius forming a solid trio of young key forwards.

W Hayward - Stagnated like a number of swans this year and then out injured. Talent is there and i was very high on him early, needs to find more of the ball for 9 cat fantasy though.
J Silvagni - Decent free agent pickup mid year, has been pretty good since the coaching change at Carlton, pushing up into the midfield as a high half fwd and being decent across a bunch of cats, decent depth at worst and might have higher upside than i originally thought.
E Himmelberg - Another decent free agent pickup, looks like one for the future, another one who might be better served at a club with a weaker forward line. Would love him at Melb.
D Moore - Looks a nice small fwd type and i expect him to get better in year 3 and hopefully put a full year together in the 1s.

M Crowden - After a really good 1st year, has had a case of 2nd year blues somewhat. Still is in the team now and could go either way TBA
M Poholke - Another free agent add, has played a few games and i still have hope that he'll develop into a decent half fwd/mid. TBA
Z Langdon - Injury riddled year, looks to have a very low ceiling and is every chance to be delisted.
K Hayden - Finally broke in to the seniors only to have a season ending injury. TBA
W Walker - After a decent debut year, out all year injured. TBA
T Wooler - I don't think i've ever seen a player have such a dominant year in the 2nds and not be rewarded with 1 game in the firsts. A victim of Brisbane's depth and ridiculous young talent, could be a fantastic fantasy fwd if he can just get a game, should request a trade to Melb we badly need a good CHF.
S Wiedeman - Has completely flopped thi year, disappointing for both my team and Melbourne. Still has hope but if he can't make serious improvements next year will be a bust.

Ruck

K Briggs - Reached with pick 15 to grab him in 2019, seemed necessary at the time and i'm fine with this pick. TBA
M Flynn - Grabbed him with a late pick in my desire to try and recruit GWS' ruck department. Did ACL mid year when he was verging on a game, TBA
T De Koning - Hoping he keeps developing and becomes Carlton's post Kreuzer option. TBA
M Pittonet - Traded pick 40ish for him and was hoping he'd grab the Hawks no1 ruck mantle by now. TBA but may not be any better than depth at AFL level.
S Hayes - Coming off an ACL and behind 3 rucks at Port, was never getting a game this year. TBA

Good work, a few more solids trades and drafts and it will all turn very quickly as your team adds a lot of experience every week and year with its age demographic.

Haven't updated this in a few years but now seems like a nice time to do so with me having just finished my draft for the year. Looking back at previous posts, there's been a ridiculous amount of turnover on my list, probably more than any other list in the comp over the past 4 years with the exception possibly of Zim's Puppies. This post is a summary of my draft & trading for the Summer and ill follow it up with a post about my current list.

Anyways, there's no doubt that my list now is in a much better place than the trainwreck I took over, having said that my Wombats are still a couple of years off and are unlikely to even make finals this year which sucks due to me trading out my first-round pick next year for pick 11 this year. A pick that netted me Josh Goater whom I'm very high on. My focus on this year's draft was to get in a number of guys I felt could develop into high-quality fantasy defenders as I felt i was really lacking in that department. Was also lacking in goal scoring and depending on how things play out could use another ruck and another high production mid or two.

Now i started the draft with picks 4,18,32 in the top 40 so there was much trading to be done. I started by making the trade that netted me pick 11 and brought in Eric Hipwood (also Jermaine Jones, Winder and James Madden) to address the goalscoring need albeit at a very high cost in my future 1st, Jai Newcombe & Sparrow, some pretty big outs, time will tell if i made a huge blunder there, it could go either way. I also flipped pick 4 into picks 12 and 14, a move im happy with as i had to get in more early picks somehow and ive had a lot of success with picks in the 10-15 range. Then i traded RR future 1st, which I acquired by trading out Berry and Setterfield to get pick 20, this one is the move im least happy with, early on im really regretting trading Jarrod Berry, i think this was horrendous but again time will tell. Lastly i traded out RR future 3rd to net me a pick to acquire a slider in Dees first-round tall Jacob Van Rooyen and i traded Bailey Laurie a year after drafting him to get pick 46 which i used on a guy who is a high risk but also has a much higher ceiling than Laurie in Jace Burgoyne.

So with that said here's how my 2021/2022 draft panned out.

pick 11 - Josh Goater (C/DEF) - I narrowly missed Ben Hobbs here but got Goater whom i was always taking with one of these two picks, he should get games early for the rebuilding North and should hopefully start out across half-back which is where he's played his best footy to date. He may end up a mid but im hopeful that isnt the case and he ends up as a Ridley type which my team badly needs.

pick 12 - Darcy Wilmot (DEF) - I perhaps reached a little here, Wilmot is the youngest player in the AFL and thus should have a year of extra potential. He's going to be a very good back IRL, that's not even a question at this point but whether he develops the offensive game to be a good fantasy back that merits this high a pick we shall see. But im hopeful. I strongly considered M Johnson here and having acquired a number of backs later, perhaps i should've gone Johnson here. Amiss was also considered but considering i got JVR at pick 41 as a 1st round key fwd im happy i didnt take Amiss here, passing on Johnson im not too sure on though.

pick 14 - Connor Macdonald (C )- I wasn't sure if this was a reach at the time but I don't think it was. A fantasy beast with one of the best fantasy games in the draft, he should play from day 1 and i think he'll make a good 7th or 8th midfielder. Getting him here made me fine with trading pick 4 as i think he should hopefully have similar fantasy games to the likes of Ward and Erasmus though im not sure if he'll be as good IRL.

pick 18 - Toby Conway ( R )- I wasnt really planning on taking him here but given i had some back options later in the draft and the uncertainty surrounding my GWS rucks and S Hayes who is in a make or break year, i kept my tradition of drafting a ruck every year and went with a guy who aT worst is a decent trade chip if my other rucks establish themselves. If not he may be needed to be my 2nd ruck long term.

pick 20 - Sam Butler (FWD/C) - Should be a good mid/fwd from day one and get opportunity at Hawthorn, will have to be very good to make me feel okay about trading Berry.

pick 32 - Sam Banks (DEF)- A high upside half-back flanker, hopefully, a long term back for me, really liked this kid and he was always my target here, i was very close to doing a deal that would've traded out C Macdonald for an extra pick in the early 20s just so i could draft him, so to get him at 32 was both a surprise and a relief. Now he just has to break into a Rich side with a million half-backs.

pick 41 - Jacob Van Rooyen (FWD/DEF) - Love this guy, he's the type of key forward that has a nice fantasy game, getting up the ground for a few extra possessions and marks while also hitting the scoreboard. Was the clear 2nd best key fwd in the draft though he apparently plays quite well down back too. Given his team, he won't be getting a game any time in the next 2 years but I think in year 3 he will be very much on the radar which syncs up with the Wombats timeline well. His also being a Demon means makes me feel a lil better about trading out Sparrow and Laurie. Go deees wooot we are premiers!!! :D WERE PREMIERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :D

pick 46 - Jase Burgoyne (DEF/C) - A controversial one, i traded out a guy who was a pick 20 IRL with a year of development for a guy who was picked 60 IRL who's a project. Not sure about this, but I do have a number of half forwards, L Bailey is also stuck behind a bunch of players and probably will look for more opportunity elsewhere next year. Wouldnt be surprised if I regret this one but I couldn't find a player i was ok with trading who TW would want, my list is very much now filled with players who need time to see if they'll make it and Laurie was the unlucky one who i was kinda ok with trading and who TW wanted so. Anyways on to Burgoyne, from the start of the draft, both he and Banks were my main two long-term half-back targets. Burgoyne needs to put on weight and needs his body to hold up, if this happens and he's getting regular games he projects as the exact kind of player you want filling your Def. He's an absolute pig at times and can rack up getting the ball all over the park and is very damaging from an offensive standpoint. He def has more upside than Laurie but Laurie is miles ahead from a floor stand point, anyways if it works out ill have gotten an incredible accumulating back.

So a total of 1-2 mids, 2 fwds, 1 ruck, and 3-4 defenders for this draft which is about right though obv positions can change. I sought to add some exciting half-back talent which i did with Goater, Wilmot, Banks, Burgoyne. I got 1 lock gun mid, 1 accumulating fwd/mid, 1 project key forward and 1 ruck. A fairly diverse draft while also filling a number of needs. Very happy with the draft if not the cost i had to pay, but you have to trade quality to get quality and hopefully my list will be in a better place and i haven't gone backward. The next post will be my list summary going into to 2022, assuming i don't forget about this thread and move on to other things.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't updated this in a few years but now seems like a nice time to do so with me having just finished my draft for the year. Looking back at previous posts, there's been a ridiculous amount of turnover on my list, probably more than any other list in the comp over the past 4 years with the exception possibly of Zim's Puppies. This post is a summary of my draft & trading for the Summer and ill follow it up with a post about my current list.

Anyways, there's no doubt that my list now is in a much better place than the trainwreck I took over, having said that my Wombats are still a couple of years off and are unlikely to even make finals this year which sucks due to me trading out my first-round pick next year for pick 11 this year. A pick that netted me Josh Goater whom I'm very high on. My focus on this year's draft was to get in a number of guys I felt could develop into high-quality fantasy defenders as I felt i was really lacking in that department. Was also lacking in goal scoring and depending on how things play out could use another ruck and another high production mid or two.

Now i started the draft with picks 4,18,32 in the top 40 so there was much trading to be done. I started by making the trade that netted me pick 11 and brought in Eric Hipwood (also Jermaine Jones, Winder and James Madden) to address the goalscoring need albeit at a very high cost in my future 1st, Jai Newcombe & Sparrow, some pretty big outs, time will tell if i made a huge blunder there, it could go either way. I also flipped pick 4 into picks 12 and 14, a move im happy with as i had to get in more early picks somehow and ive had a lot of success with picks in the 10-15 range. Then i traded RR future 1st, which I acquired by trading out Berry and Setterfield to get pick 20, this one is the move im least happy with, early on im really regretting trading Jarrod Berry, i think this was horrendous but again time will tell. Lastly i traded out RR future 3rd to net me a pick to acquire a slider in Dees first-round tall Jacob Van Rooyen and i traded Bailey Laurie a year after drafting him to get pick 46 which i used on a guy who is a high risk but also has a much higher ceiling than Laurie in Jace Burgoyne.

So with that said here's how my 2021/2022 draft panned out.

pick 11 - Josh Goater (C/DEF) - I narrowly missed Ben Hobbs here but got Goater whom i was always taking with one of these two picks, he should get games early for the rebuilding North and should hopefully start out across half-back which is where he's played his best footy to date. He may end up a mid but im hopeful that isnt the case and he ends up as a Ridley type which my team badly needs.

pick 12 - Darcy Wilmot (DEF) - I perhaps reached a little here, Wilmot is the youngest player in the AFL and thus should have a year of extra potential. He's going to be a very good back IRL, that's not even a question at this point but whether he develops the offensive game to be a good fantasy back that merits this high a pick we shall see. But im hopeful. I strongly considered M Johnson here and having acquired a number of backs later, perhaps i should've gone Johnson here. Amiss was also considered but considering i got JVR at pick 41 as a 1st round key fwd im happy i didnt take Amiss here, passing on Johnson im not too sure on though.

pick 14 - Connor Macdonald (C )- I wasn't sure if this was a reach at the time but I don't think it was. A fantasy beast with one of the best fantasy games in the draft, he should play from day 1 and i think he'll make a good 7th or 8th midfielder. Getting him here made me fine with trading pick 4 as i think he should hopefully have similar fantasy games to the likes of Ward and Erasmus though im not sure if he'll be as good IRL.

pick 18 - Toby Conway ( R )- I wasnt really planning on taking him here but given i had some back options later in the draft and the uncertainty surrounding my GWS rucks and S Hayes who is in a make or break year, i kept my tradition of drafting a ruck every year and went with a guy who aT worst is a decent trade chip if my other rucks establish themselves. If not he may be needed to be my 2nd ruck long term.

pick 20 - Sam Butler (FWD/C) - Should be a good mid/fwd from day one and get opportunity at Hawthorn, will have to be very good to make me feel okay about trading Berry.

pick 32 - Sam Banks (DEF)- A high upside half-back flanker, hopefully, a long term back for me, really liked this kid and he was always my target here, i was very close to doing a deal that would've traded out C Macdonald for an extra pick in the early 20s just so i could draft him, so to get him at 32 was both a surprise and a relief. Now he just has to break into a Rich side with a million half-backs.

pick 41 - Jacob Van Rooyen (FWD/DEF) - Love this guy, he's the type of key forward that has a nice fantasy game, getting up the ground for a few extra possessions and marks while also hitting the scoreboard. Was the clear 2nd best key fwd in the draft though he apparently plays quite well down back too. Given his team, he won't be getting a game any time in the next 2 years but I think in year 3 he will be very much on the radar which syncs up with the Wombats timeline well. His also being a Demon means makes me feel a lil better about trading out Sparrow and Laurie. Go deees wooot we are premiers!!! :D WERE PREMIERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :D

pick 46 - Jase Burgoyne (DEF/C) - A controversial one, i traded out a guy who was a pick 20 IRL with a year of development for a guy who was picked 60 IRL who's a project. Not sure about this, but I do have a number of half forwards, L Bailey is also stuck behind a bunch of players and probably will look for more opportunity elsewhere next year. Wouldnt be surprised if I regret this one but I couldn't find a player i was ok with trading who TW would want, my list is very much now filled with players who need time to see if they'll make it and Laurie was the unlucky one who i was kinda ok with trading and who TW wanted so. Anyways on to Burgoyne, from the start of the draft, both he and Banks were my main two long-term half-back targets. Burgoyne needs to put on weight and needs his body to hold up, if this happens and he's getting regular games he projects as the exact kind of player you want filling your Def. He's an absolute pig at times and can rack up getting the ball all over the park and is very damaging from an offensive standpoint. He def has more upside than Laurie but Laurie is miles ahead from a floor stand point, anyways if it works out ill have gotten an incredible accumulating back.

So a total of 1-2 mids, 2 fwds, 1 ruck, and 3-4 defenders for this draft which is about right though obv positions can change. I sought to add some exciting half-back talent which i did with Goater, Wilmot, Banks, Burgoyne. I got 1 lock gun mid, 1 accumulating fwd/mid, 1 project key forward and 1 ruck. A fairly diverse draft while also filling a number of needs. Very happy with the draft if not the cost i had to pay, but you have to trade quality to get quality and hopefully my list will be in a better place and i haven't gone backward. The next post will be my list summary going into to 2022, assuming i don't forget about this thread and move on to other things.
Due an update

Could have been worse. You nearly traded me your first. That would have really helped me out.
Yeh lol, so glad I didn't do it especially given my def is looking way better now and I really need mids going forward. So hopefully I can get a gun mid or 2 in the draft or even if I trade a pick it's the main weakness of my team atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back