FTA-TV Watchmen

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't really get it, not sure what I was missing that everyone else loved? The plot seemed confusing and put together in a weird order. We'd have episodes crammed full of essentially exposition of plot, then others where not a whole lot happened. First few eps were a slow burn, which was great, but then the last two eps jammed in all the resolutions.

Finally caught up on this. Like it a lot, but I do wonder how much longevity it has. Surprised they've taken the approach they have, pretty inaccessible if you're not familiar with the source material. I can't help but think if I'd never been exposed to the graphic novel or movie I'd be thinking wtf is this s**t. Was a massive Leftovers fan but still not 100% sure Lindelof should be the one handling this particular series lol.

Assuming Dr Manhattan let himself be teleported? Like, he said it was inevitable but surely he could have just crushed the trucks and cannon into junk cubes at any stage, not least of which in the solid 7 seconds at the end where everyone is dead and he's just talking to Angela. Must be necessary for it to go down like this for things to work out in the long run?

Can't wait to see what Lady Trieu's giant clock does.

Yeah that's me. I've never seen the movie or read the graphic novel so had no idea.

Started watching it yesterday and got up to episode 5. 24 hours later I'm full of CHRISTMAS TOFU and have given nice thanks and happy birthday to Jesus it's time to absolutely ******* smash the rest of this series while I demolish on one of those massive Toblerones I won in Kris Kringle.

Can't believe a) people didn't like it and b) people bothered continuing watching it when they'd already decided they didn't like it and c) not only watch TV they don't like but visit internet threads and post about shows they don't like, wtf.

This is ******* great.

Not sure I'm done but the opening of episode 4 really pushes believability. Weirdness for the sake of weirdness. I'm out until the season's over and can watch the rest in a day. Getting crap ratings so there probably won't be a season 2.

Finished it yesterday and today.

There's a lot of style over substance. Weirdness for the sake of weirdness. Characters talking bad ass/smart ass for the sake of it. Not because it's consistent or makes sense for them to talk and behave in such ways, only done because it's cool. The Senator's underwear speech reminded me of True Blood once it got stupid but True Blood had years of goodness before that point. Watchmen hinders itself as a drama. Something apparently funny will happen or be said to undercut the drama. Agent Blake and the trapdoor couch. Was it meant to be funny? She (or someone) said "Who has a trapdoor!", as if self-referencing makes it funny and not weak. There were other moments like that.

It's not a particularly bad show, and visually it had nice effects and such. The best bits were flashbacks where the humour was toned right down. But it'd be the least surprising thing if those raving about it love it because they read the comic book first. Great television it is not.

I didn't really get it, not sure what I was missing that everyone else loved?

We didn't read the comic book, that's what we missed.

There's a lot of style over substance. Weirdness for the sake of weirdness. Characters talking bad ass/smart ass for the sake of it. Not because it's consistent or makes sense for them to talk and behave in such ways, only done because it's cool. The Senator's underwear speech reminded me of True Blood once it got stupid but True Blood had years of goodness before that point. Watchmen hinders itself as a drama. Something apparently funny will happen or be said to undercut the drama. Agent Blake and the trapdoor couch. Was it meant to be funny? She (or someone) said "Who has a trapdoor!", as if self-referencing makes it funny and not weak. There were other moments like that.

It's not a particularly bad show, and visually it had nice effects and such. The best bits were flashbacks where the humour was toned right down. But it'd be the least surprising thing if those raving about it love it because they read the comic book first. Great television it is not.

I understand your review if you've never read the graphic novel. But I can assure the series, in tone and style, was absolutely perfect for the Watchmen universe, and on that bases, many loved the show across the globe. It's dangerous making a series like this and not watering down the quirkiness of the original material (as they did in the movie) because there'd always be people like you who don't really get it, or judge it based on general expectations of a TV show like this. But the director of this series was never going to make a generic superhero TV show out of Watchmen, and to me, this series was brilliant in many ways, one of which was that it took me back to the Watchmen universe in all its weirdness.

Just finished Westworld Season 2 and this is also a description of that show. HBO seems to be fixating on grandiose plot and scheming and script for the sake of it, without it making a whole lot of sense. But people like it because of the vibe and the fact they feel like they should like it. It's a bit of an Emperor's New Clothes situation.

Just finished Westworld Season 2 and this is also a description of that show. HBO seems to be fixating on grandiose plot and scheming and script for the sake of it, without it making a whole lot of sense. But people like it because of the vibe and the fact they feel like they should like it. It's a bit of an Emperor's New Clothes situation.
I really loved both shows and I’m confident in saying I’ve never liked a show because I’ve felt like I should like it.

I really loved both shows and I’m confident in saying I’ve never liked a show because I’ve felt like I should like it.

Have you read/watched any previous material about Watchmen though?

I had watched the movie and just did a bit of on line research, but never read the novels.

Fair enough, that's probably why you enjoyed it more than I did. I still liked it, but having no clue what was going on was really detrimental I think.

Fair enough, that's probably why you enjoyed it more than I did. I still liked it, but having no clue what was going on was really detrimental I think.
Yeah, I certainly think it’s a show where you need to know of the original story for it to make sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw the movie and couldn’t remember anything about it. For some reason I didn’t think this series was anything like I remembered the movie, but it obviously would have been?

Having no other source material, I was a bit bored through the first few episodes. However, I chugged on and glad I did! Episodes 6-9 were very very good!

If I was rating the series I’d give episode 1-5 as a whole 5/10 and episode 6-9 10/10.

The nostalgia episode was extremely gripping, I couldn’t look away.

I saw the movie and couldn’t remember anything about it. For some reason I didn’t think this series was anything like I remembered the movie, but it obviously would have been?

Having no other source material, I was a bit bored through the first few episodes. However, I chugged on and glad I did! Episodes 6-9 were very very good!

If I was rating the series I’d give episode 1-5 as a whole 5/10 and episode 6-9 10/10.

The nostalgia episode was extremely gripping, I couldn’t look away.

The movie feels more like a real world with real people.

I didn't really get it, not sure what I was missing that everyone else loved? The plot seemed confusing and put together in a weird order. We'd have episodes crammed full of essentially exposition of plot, then others where not a whole lot happened. First few eps were a slow burn, which was great, but then the last two eps jammed in all the resolutions.
Guy who thinks game of thrones ending wasnt riddled with ridiculous plot holes thinks watchmen is confusing. What a shocker.

Show was great except ofcourse they did the dr.manhatten time stuff poorly even if it created some riveting dialogue.

ozymandis comes off even more like a hero now than before.

Something was done poorly? Might that have made things somewhat confusing?

Maybe don't take potshots for the sake of it even when you agree with what's being said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back