Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

When Brad Crouch comes in, in say 2-3 weeks, someone will have to make way. Now injuries may make that decision for us but you'd have to say he's vulnerable based on last game; really did look off the pace. I said after the JLT that he should play every game to fast track his development, I've no doubt he'll be a special player but at this stage Hampton and Knight are comfortably ahead of him. Mackay's the obvious one but he's clearly got compromising photos of someone high up at the club.

I think given the fact that our MF is playing better than most expected and that we are winning he should stay in the side. He's not killing it ATM but he's part of a winning combination which is working. It might be different if we were 1 from 3 and being smashed in the middle but we're not.
As far as his squibbing the contest comments go how do we know he's not under Pykes instruction to leave that to the big boys and and to stay outside most of the time. I recall Pyke saying when he 1st started that he would maximize players strengths and minimize their weaknesses. Clearly Mileras body size ATM.

great news, now he just has to put in a couple of great games so its not him feeling the squeeze when Brad Crouch comes a knockin'

Milera extending his contact for 3 years is fantastic news and hopefully an indication the club isn't as shortsighted as some on this board.

Two weeks ago he was cheered as "one of our best". Last week saw almost unanimous feeling that "must play him all year and pump games into him", "good clubs can afford to carry developing talent".

This week some numpties already starting with the "I've been thinking for weeks he is soft", "doesn't run both ways", "needs to sort himself out quicksmart we can't afford to carry that" etc.

I put it to those posters that they just have little clue about player development.

It was a showdown. Young players on both sides looked lost at times and contributed less than usual.

Let's compare Milera's development to Charlie Cameron's. When Charlie started out there were calls that he looked lost, stood off the contest too often, didn't have the tank to run both ways etc. Pretty similar stuff. Yet we carried him because we saw the wisdom in developing him.

In Charles' first year he played 7 games averaging 9 disposals. Wayne played 8 games averaging 11 disposals. Very similar, Wayne with a bit more natural class and a bit higher up the field but not much in it.

Despite his humble start, in his second year we carried Charlie for 22 games. And now we are all the better for it.

Their numbers in their second year (averages per game):

CC: K=7 H=3 D=10 M=2.8 T=2.8

WM: K=9 H=8 D=17 M=3.3 T=2.7

Wayne is tracking nicely for a 19 year old with 11 games of experience.

Give him time to develop and build like we did with Charles. By the end of the year we should have 30+ games into him if we don't submit to shortsighted silliness.

Then put another pre-season of fitness training and weights into him... rinse and repeat... by his fourth season like Charlie he will be a 50-60 game player and on the brink of pure gundom.

But only if we invest in him properly now, which means cutting some slack for inconsistent performances like we did for Charlie in 2015. Put faith in him and build him up then we'll get repaid as he builds confidence in his ability.

Everyone was right last week. Good sides can afford to carry a developing gun. Hopefully this new 3 year deal is an indication that's what we intend to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, he's only 11 games into his career, so it is waaaaay too early say one way or the other what type of career he is going to have.

But right now I just wish I was seeing more from him that had me thinking "yep, he's going to rip apart a game one day"

I'm not seeing top level skill, run or determination. He's clearly not a dud, but he's a first round pick and needs to judged by that level. And right at the moment I feel like his game is a bit... nothing.

Too often we see him stand back while the tackle is there to be made, the defensive effort is very poor, and I'm not getting any sense of him making up for that by being a goal scorer.

I really want him to succeed, but right now I think he needs a good month against (generally) weaker sides to show us what he has.

Yes you need to give kids time to develop, but whereas with CC you'd see a spark of something - a tackle, a run, a kick - that would have you think "woah, if he can do that more often, he's going to be anything" I'm just not getting that with Milera.

Am I'm being too harsh? Too early (clearly it is)? But still, just feeling like I don't know where he is at.

Thoughts?

EDIT - want to make it clear I like him, and am certainly not saying we shouldn't have picked him. I guess this is more of a "what would you like to see more of from him" question... and perhaps a "do you think he will be able to deliver it"? I recall him laying some nice tackles, so not sure why he doesn't get stuck in more. Maybe does just need the confidence of more games?
You need to change your thread title:

Wayne Milera: Where is he at? At Adelaide for another 3 years at least :thumbsu:

Similar stage to McGovern last year. Raw as ****, but you know the kid has it.

We can carry 1-2 like that.

That's the thing about best 22. If the 21st and 22nd players picked are 150+ gamers in their late 20s, you're doing it wrong, they're the spots for kids that need exposure

He was one of our best TWO WEEKS AGO.

DELIST!!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back