Toast Welcome 2018 pick #16 Ned McHenry!!

Remove this Banner Ad

hey shorty

TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
Where the Hills have eyes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
From what I have seen early on he is a slightly smaller Richard Douglas with a little more endurance.
Could deal with that. Dougy was a whipping bit here but if Ned can have that sort of career with us you'd take that every day.

Same pick in their respective drafts too.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like Ned, and I think he makes it.

He's a blunt instrument, all effort and no polish. His bad moments stand out - I see where the negativity towards him comes from. I think they're more a product of decision making/composure than poor skills though. With experience and coaching I think he'll continue to improve here.

I've watched him closely this season, especially the past couple of weeks and what I like about him is the number of times he appears in a contest at full pace and always at 100% effort. Seems like he's everywhere at times. Dozens of little half chances, spoils, smothers, spills. As a 100 game player its not enough, but as a kid I see a lot to like. The game will slow down for him & he'll develop and start to turn more of these into meaningful possession.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The mighty Panthers, GWV Rebels, Be

He's a blunt instrument, all effort and no polish. His bad moments stand out - I see where the negativity towards him comes from. I think they're more a product of decision making/composure than poor skills though. With experience and coaching I think he'll continue to improve here.

I've watched him closely this season, especially the past couple of weeks and what I like about him is the number of times he appears in a contest at full pace and always at 100% effort. Seems like he's everywhere at times. Dozens of little half chances, spoils, smothers, spills. As a 100 game player its not enough, but as a kid I see a lot to like. The game will slow down for him & he'll develop and start to turn more of these into meaningful possession.
Someone that gets it! :thumbsu:

1970crow

Hall of Famer
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Speaking of Ned - interesting comment by Nicks in his presser about Jones showing some real urgency and spark “in patches” in the last game, how it was what they liked about him before he was drafted and they want to see more of it consistently from him

Can’t say I’ve seen it from him at AFL level so hopefully he can pop the cork and finally realise his potential
Wasn't he drafted the year before Nicks turned up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr_Moogle

Brownlow Medallist
May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

Composure is certainly his major issue. I'm not even convinced his skills are poor, just that he lacks the ability to calm himself down and execute. I would also like him to dial back some of the off-the-ball niggling where he gives up dumb frees. Tenaciousness is good but he overdoes it sometimes.

Scorpus

Match Fit
Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I want him to niggle players off the ball in the way Hawthorn players used to where they never once got a free kick paid against them or suspended.

Could also learn from Joel Selwood's repeated eye gouging of players. Stop with the cheap pushes in the back, just full on grab the opposition's eyes in a wrestling match, which of course won't be suspended under the Selwood precedent

Jul 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
All effort no polish - is polish something you can develop? Remembering skills were the knock on him when he was drafted. Had a few preseason now...doedee cleaned up his kicking over a few years. Matt Crouch disposal improved.

On one hand elite pressure causing turn overs great! on the other hand poor skills turn the ball over! Poor execution of a tackle so you give away a free kick.

I think I read this once. For every Clayton Oliver there is a darcy parish.

Slow burn you reckon, hope I'm wrong but I think by next year he will be pushing out by other young talent.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
All effort no polish - is polish something you can develop? Remembering skills were the knock on him when he was drafted. Had a few preseason now...doedee cleaned up his kicking over a few years. Matt Crouch disposal improved.

On one hand elite pressure causing turn overs great! on the other hand poor skills turn the ball over! Poor execution of a tackle so you give away a free kick.

Slow burn you reckon, hope I'm wrong but I think by next year he will be pushing out by other young talent.

I'll take all effort no polish over all polish no effort everyday.

McHenry v Menzel?

Last edited:

Vhaluus

Brownlow Medallist
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I want him to niggle players off the ball in the way Hawthorn players used to where they never once got a free kick paid against them or suspended.

Could also learn from Joel Selwood's repeated eye gouging of players. Stop with the cheap pushes in the back, just full on grab the opposition's eyes in a wrestling match, which of course won't be suspended under the Selwood precedent
Playing for an interstate team has different rules.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Bullshit,

Skills were never a knock on him prior to his draft...never.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I think his size and pace were highlighted as weaknesses in his draft bios.
Size moreso specific to midfield duties I think was that reference, he's not slow by any means and has top end evasion/agility skills, and surprisingly enough as it may seem his decision making was considered to be in the top end of the draft prospects. People just need to be patient, it'll come together.

Honestly does this look like a slow player, and I've seen it up close, he's not slow.?

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Composure is certainly his major issue. I'm not even convinced his skills are poor, just that he lacks the ability to calm himself down and execute. I would also like him to dial back some of the off-the-ball niggling where he gives up dumb frees. Tenaciousness is good but he overdoes it sometimes.
I love the aggressive intent from him, but agree he does need to find where the line is with it.

The soft, lack of support for team mates over the years has been really hard to stomach - think back to what Dangerfield copped from Bernie Vince all day. It's so refreshing to see change here & bet Nicks loves him.

Murray2503

Brownlow Medallist
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Niggling is overrated. Just get the ball and put it on the scoreboard where it matters. Can't stand idiot players that go up to a player with the tough guy act after they have just missed a goal. Weak campaigners in my book. That bullshit could be cut out of the game in a week if umpires just awarded a free kick for goal if anyone does it. It's embarrassing to our game.

Scorpus

Match Fit
Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Niggling is overrated. Just get the ball and put it on the scoreboard where it matters. Can't stand idiot players that go up to a player with the tough guy act after they have just missed a goal. Weak campaigners in my book. That bullshit could be cut out of the game in a week if umpires just awarded a free kick for goal if anyone does it. It's embarrassing to our game.
It is embarrassing and I hate it. But while the AFL doesn't police it, we should be doing it. All the successful clubs do it; they're all at the top of the suspension ladder because they constantly push the line.

I want our team to make the other team into a bunch of Ricky Hendersons and Rory Atkins

Remove this Banner Ad