Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Small clearance player? Yuk.
Small player with limited speed? Yuk (Rory Laird is the exception, not the rule here)
Likely to end up as a small forward as a first rounder (which seeing he's sub 180cm is a likely thing)? Yuk.

I'm hoping there is much more then meets the eye here, because right now, I'm missing something with this pick. Hopefully this is just the case of whoever wrote that is just also missing something with McHenry.
Actually, from the footage he looks quick so I am not sure why they say he lacks speed, speed and evasiveness.....very nice.

That’s what i’m asking.

Doedee is now. In fact, Doedee would be top ten but at the time he wasn’t valued as a top 20 pick.

Time will tell. Fox rankings had him at 27

But the Doedee pick shows that Hamish will go with what he knows and what he knows has turned out pretty well so far for talents picked early

I like the fact he's a bit of a larrikin.

Did anyone else think "Wow, we got Marc Murphy to go with Gibbs" on the Fox vision when he was announced?

Welcome, Ned McHank. :)
Have not seen any footage of him but hard to imagine the comparisons between him and Murphy when reading the above bio on him.

Time will tell. Fox rankings had him at 27

But the Doedee pick shows that Hamish will go with what he knows and what he knows has turned out pretty well so far for talents picked early

I like the fact he's a bit of a larrikin.

Pick 27 is a bit high, so taking him at 16 could be a stretch.

Hope he get the most out iof his ability and turns into a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s what i’m asking.

Doedee is now. In fact, Doedee would be top ten but at the time he wasn’t valued as a top 20 pick.

Cal Twomey had us taking him with that exact pick in his fantasy draft:

NED McHENRY
POS: Midfielder/small forward
Ht 178cm, Wt 71kg, DOB 13/7/00
From Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

McHenry is a bundle of energy and enthusiasm and plays his footy in the same spirit, always in the thick of the action and involved in the game. He will probably be picked as a small forward to start, where his tackling pressure and intensity comes through, but he has the tank and ability to play in the midfield and show his wares there. McHenry is tenacious and tough but will be a fan favourite. He's also a favourite of the Crows.

Cal Twomey had us taking him with that exact pick in his fantasy draft:

NED McHENRY
POS: Midfielder/small forward
Ht 178cm, Wt 71kg, DOB 13/7/00
From Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

McHenry is a bundle of energy and enthusiasm and plays his footy in the same spirit, always in the thick of the action and involved in the game. He will probably be picked as a small forward to start, where his tackling pressure and intensity comes through, but he has the tank and ability to play in the midfield and show his wares there. McHenry is tenacious and tough but will be a fan favourite. He's also a favourite of the Crows.

I like that part. Long term his future position is a midfield, I would not be keen to draft a permanent forward pocket with pick 16.

I like that part. Long term his future position is a midfield, I would not be keen to draft a permanent forward pocket with pick 16.

I think we are drafting him as a midfielder. But if he ends up being a mongrel of a forward pocket that creates that Charlie Cameron like pressure and kicks/sets up goals then I'll take that too.

For the record: Gov, pick 40, our 2019 3rd rounder for Ned, Shane McAdam and a 2019 5th rounder.

Pick 40 will be closer to 50 on the night.

Edit: Also, I am pretty sure that it was suggested that we do Gov and a swap of 2019 firsts if we couldn't get pick 1 off them this year. This is basically that, with McAdam for pick 40 and a swap of 2019 3rd for a 5th. So one can look at it like that with an upgrade of 16 to 13 thrown in for good measure.

If offered during the trade period, I probably would have done that deal to be honest, so its not too bad at all.

Last edited:
The one person I would say he did remind me of a tad from those highlights was Riley Knight. I love Riley, but I don't think I'd draft him with a first.

I saw Riley Knight too. I have no issues with drafting Ned with 19 though. Players that look similar arent the same. Hamish has seen something in Ned that will be revealed to us mere mortals in good time.

Go to 1:54 and tell me it doesn't move.

Haha!

Shades of Brent Harvey with that run

Love the don't argues too

Looks a ripper. Neat turning circle on him. Tackles with real relish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back