Universal Love Welcome Pick #39 Rhys Mathieson!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched Mathieson's highlights again...
The most impressive highlights package from our new crop...
Overhead marks, centre clearances, slicing through packs, goals from set shots and on the fly, and most impressively beautiful kicking to advantage and passing.... Something we sorely missed this year.

This kid could take a spot in our 22 straight away..... Good height for a midfielder as well.

If I were Sam Mayes, Ryan Lester, Billy Evans, Rohan Bewick I'd be very concerned. Just needs to build his tank and he'll be hard not to select

Just watched Mathieson's highlights again...
The most impressive highlights package from our new crop...
Overhead marks, centre clearances, slicing through packs, goals from set shots and on the fly, and most impressively beautiful kicking to advantage and passing.... Something we sorely missed this year.

This kid could take a spot in our 22 straight away..... Good height for a midfielder as well.

If I were Sam Mayes, Ryan Lester, Billy Evans, Rohan Bewick I'd be very concerned. Just needs to build his tank and he'll be hard not to select
agree. but am confused by his tested lack of aerobic fitness. being such a competitive beast (his tac coach said he was the most competitive hard at it footballer he had seen come through in 20 years. big call) you would think that would be a strength, have asked around on a few threads why this maybe so. heard nothing back. anybody here got any inside goss on why?

agree. but am confused by his tested lack of aerobic fitness. being such a competitive beast (his tac coach said he was the most competitive hard at it footballer he had seen come through in 20 years. big call) you would think that would be a strength, have asked around on a few threads why this maybe so. heard nothing back. anybody here got any inside goss on why?
No inside goss but maybe he goes so hard inside that if the ball turns over he's rooted and has nothing to left to give on the defensive run.

I have to admit I don't know a lot about this stuff. Are some physiologically superior and just have a bigger tank (not to say they don't have to work to make the most of it), and some player will be limited no matter how hard they work at it?

No inside goss but maybe he goes so hard inside that if the ball turns over he's rooted and has nothing to left to give on the defensive run.

I have to admit I don't know a lot about this stuff. Are some physiologically superior and just have a bigger tank (not to say they don't have to work to make the most of it), and some player will be limited no matter how hard they work at it?
the second part of your post re. genetically superior, i think is true. look at richy and green both been working on it a few seasons now and both you wouldn't call great areobically.

the second part of your post re. genetically superior, i think is true. look at richy and green both been working on it a few seasons now and both you wouldn't call great areobically.
Yep and dudes like N Robbo carving up the running first couple of years in the system. Build must have something to do with it. The lean guys have less to pull around. I wonder if there is more to do with it than that, like differences in lungs, the way the body takes in the oxygen, diaphragms etc.

I've got a cousin who is excellent aerobic athlete and he is lean but kind of thick through the chest. Similar to nick Robbo come to think it it. Maybe they've just got 'bigger gear' in there. Close has a similar build. Papa though..

Last edited:

In his fascinating book, The Sports Gene, David Epstein describes how an athlete might genetically have a low base endurance, but will respond very well to intensive stamina training.

Which means that a player's aerobic capacity when they enter the AFL system might not be that good a reflection of their aerobic capacity after two or three years on a senior list.

Let's hope that Mathieson has the sort of genes that give him a low base endurance but high responsiveness to training.

Rocky would run a poor beep test but still manages to run all game and rack up big numbers.

For those interested, Rhys is a relation of Don Mathieson.

Don is a football legend in the Geelong region and the Geelong Football League best & fairest medal is named after him.
The Mathieson Medal.

The Geelong Football League is currently the highest ranked Victorian Country League so it's quite an honour.

Can't wait till he re-signs. Haha, can't wait for the offended from the Saints fans who were all going about how he will be coming back in 2 years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait till he re-signs. Haha, can't wait for the offended from the Saints fans who were all going about how he will be coming back in 2 years time.

A few Saints supporters were laughing when he got drafted by us saying, who would want to go to that s**t club? Last time I checked they hadn't won a flag for 50 years and we're the s**t club? Clowns.

A few Saints supporters were laughing when he got drafted by us saying, who would want to go to that s**t club? Last time I checked they hadn't won a flag for 50 years and we're the s**t club? Clowns.
Oh well, * them for giving us a shitty pick for Longer.

(But then again we got Mcstay)

I wish people would stop banging on about players resigning when they have only just arrived. There is no reason any of our new boys won't have a long career at the Lions. I think some of our supporters need to HTFU.

I wish people would stop banging on about players resigning when they have only just arrived. There is no reason any of our new boys won't have a long career at the Lions. I think some of our supporters need to HTFU.
Dont be naive. There are plenty of reasons why new recruits wont cope in the Qld market. And you have to understand after a decade of players leaving the Lions for various reasons, moreso in the last couple of years why some supporters aren't 100% convinced that they will re-sign just because we drafted them. We all hope they do tho.

haven't researched it fully just going from my hazy memory, but apart from the go home 5 year. hasn't the list turnover at the lions been no worse than most clubs? just the usual list management decisions?

Dont be naive. There are plenty of reasons why new recruits wont cope in the Qld market. And you have to understand after a decade of players leaving the Lions for various reasons, moreso in the last couple of years why some supporters aren't 100% convinced that they will re-sign just because we drafted them. We all hope they do tho.

Leaper joined this forum 15 years ago.

I don't think it's through naïvety or a misunderstanding of the QLD market that leads leaper to suggest that we take it easy.

It's not a great idea to start expecting death by cancer at 40 for your newborn child either... let's just see how things play out!

Last edited:
Leaper joined this forum 15 years ago.

I don't think it's through naïvety or a misunderstanding of the QLD market that leads leaper to suggest that we take it easy.

It's not a great idea to start expecting death by cancer at 40 for your newborn child either... let's just see how things play out!

Exactly what I was saying, it becomes self fulfilling if we want to be negative all the time. Simon Black, Luke Power, Darryl White, even Leppa had huge go home pressures, winning games is the biggest incentive, I don't want to be accepting mediocrity from our supporters, it becomes contagious.

haven't researched it fully just going from my hazy memory, but apart from the go home 5 year. hasn't the list turnover at the lions been no worse than most clubs? just the usual list management decisions?
I thought i saw like a graph of some sorts showing how many draftee players had left the Brisbane Lions compared to other clubs. And we were way in the negative compared to other clubs,

I thought i saw like a graph of some sorts showing how many draftee players had left the Brisbane Lions compared to other clubs. And we were way in the negative compared to other clubs,
because we have been a bottom 4 club for a number of years now i would say list turnover would be high compared to higher placed teams, coupled with the fact that a new coach came in 2 years ago with a mandate to rejuvenate the list, would be good to see us compared to other teams who have been down the bottom for an extended period. excluding of course the go home 5 which we all admit was a terrible look for the club. although i would say that the players that we got from the draft picks for the go home 5 have been in the main great pick ups.

by the way "the go home 5" sounds like it could be a good movie title:- a story of young boys emotionally lost in an AFL forgotten backwater called brisbane longing to make their way home. follow the drama and heartbreak in this epic tale of families torn apart by the evil brisbane cabal and then the emotional reunion of family members after 2 long years of soul destroying loneliness. rating- 5 stars.

i've had too much time on my hands today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back