Welcome to Carlton - Mat Buck - New Senior Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi Mebbie,

I hope you are safe, well and enjoying a positive start to the AFL season.

As you would know, the Club has been working hard over the last few months in relation to our AFLW program, to launch the program into a new era.

Central to this was the appointment of a new AFLW Senior Coach, an appointment that I am excited to confirm with you today.

Our Club is delighted to announce Mathew Buck as the new AFLW Senior Coach of the Carlton Football Club.

Mathew deservingly takes the reins of the Blues’ AFLW program after building a strong resume across several levels of the game, in a coaching career spanning almost a decade to date.

He is no stranger to IKON Park, having been part of our Club since 2021 as VFL Senior Assistant with the Carlton Reserves, alongside Luke Power.

Mathew has also impressed in his work with the current AFLW playing group, recently stepping up to conduct optional, skills-development sessions with the players since the start of February.

This club-first mentality is a standout trait for Mathew, one which will no doubt endear him to the Navy Blue faithful.

With a professional background in education, Mathew shares a passion for development and maximising the talents of young people, which perfectly complements the Blues’ list demographic – which currently has 14 of the side’s 26 players aged 23 years or under.

Initially crafting his coaching experience regionally through the Warrnambool area, the 38-year-old honed his skillset in development with the GWV Rebels in the NAB League from 2018-19, before two seasons with Werribee in the VFL as a development coach.

In 2021 he joined the Blues, working closely with the Club’s Head of Development Luke Power as the Senior Assistant, initially in charge of the forward line and most recently the midfield.

He has also maintained a connection to working with emerging talent in recent seasons with the Geelong Falcons program.

Mathew was a clear standout through the interview process, his football IQ, passion for development and a desire to help build an elite, high-performance program is outstanding.

For the last two months, Mathew has taken it upon himself to be available and work closely with our AFLW players, supporting them in their willingness to conduct optional skill-development during this period.

That coincidentally gave us an insight into his passion for this AFLW program, and genuine care to help this playing group reach their absolute maximum over the coming years.

Importantly, he backs up that passion with a clear philosophy of what is required to maintain high standards and build a strong program. Now he steps into the role as Senior Coach in a full-time capacity, we are excited to see him take this side forward into a new era.

This has been an important few months for our AFLW program. We have been detailed and considered in our approach to reinvesting in the program, with a focus to ensure this new era for our AFLW side is built around good people who align with our values of; Respect, United, Humility, Excellence, Integrity and Relentless.

Mathew fits that criteria perfectly so we are excited to see him help take this football club forward.

Thank you,
61832b07e254e.png
Luke Sayers
President
Member ID: 2908822

THE Carlton Football Club is delighted to announce Mathew Buck as its new AFLW Senior Coach.

Buck deservingly takes the reins of the Blues’ AFLW program after building a strong resume across several levels of the game, in a coaching career spanning almost a decade to date.

He is no stranger to IKON Park, having been part of the Club since 2021 as VFL Senior Assistant with the Carlton Reserves, alongside Luke Power.

Buck has also impressed in his work with the current AFLW playing group, recently stepping up to conduct optional, skills-development sessions with the players since the start of February.

Lots of my friends and family follow Carlton and they are skeptical of this appointment. It shows a lack of vision. Why didn’t they get a former AFLW player to coach? Will this guy be capable of turning this team around?

Lots of my friends and family follow Carlton and they are skeptical of this appointment. It shows a lack of vision. Why didn’t they get a former AFLW player to coach? Will this guy be capable of turning this team around?
Almost 50 years ago I played under 16’s for a league team in Northern Tasmania(first year of the comp.) We were allocated a senior player with his brother, another senior player assisting at the start of the season. They were not invested, it was a debacle, we were then lumped with an under 19 player, the only one to put up his hand at the late date. He remains one of the better coaches I have encountered across my journey. Invested, committed and with enough footy smarts.

Never played soccer in my life. Son’s soccer team had a prominent Pommie former division 2 or 3 player allocated. Showed up on and off through pre season, I filled in with kids when he was AWOL. First game, no show. Knew next to nothing about the round ball game. Went from winless first month to playing finals with an invested and happy group of kids (and parents) No accreditation retired back then in the sane times.

Plenty of apparent no names have coached through the AFLW’s existence. As long as he has enough experience, a talent for teaching and motivating and is 100% invested, I am happy for him to be judged on his output in the fullness of time. I have to believe our club has done sufficient due diligence, despite the lack of options.

He sound well seasoned, intelligent and no frills. Perfect.

Loving his confidence declaring where a couple of keys will play.

With “big boy” gone Kez back in defence is an absolute must. Cordner should be a great addition. He happily rates the very mature McWilliams, but is excited by the prospect of Austin.

Feeling way more optimistic than Harf’s confusing throws at the stumps positionally. Let the young guns own the midfield and support our developing forwards and back with proven fire power.

I am very excited to see how well the Irish girls assimilate. They project extremely well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back