Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

All month I've been reading posters crying out for drafting potential and upside over boring, safe picks. We've done that and the very same posters are now spitting the dummy. Richards' growth in 12 months is admirable and he has dominated in a strong country league. He's far beyond that level and likely would be a strong player in a state league.

If he's good enough then at 22 he'll be able to come in year 1 and add another option for a side who missed a grand final by 1pt.

Sounds like he suits the McRae game style to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stupid to Pick in a Postion which is our Strongest
Not a lot left TD and he has a little bit to recommend him - runs and supports, not slow, decent hands, kicks to advantage and knows where the goals are.

Sure it's a long step up from where he is but I remember a guy from Port Melbourne who has given us sensational value for years.

It's always going to be a speculative pick at this late in the draft so let's see how the kid goes before sinking the boot in.

Maybe it’s the size. Maybe it’s the mature age aspect. Maybe it’s the past connection with McRae to Richmond. Maybe it’s the role. I’m not sure, but genuine Kain Lambert vibes from Richards. He will impact immediately at VFL level and based on where we’re at he’s the pick of the bunch for mine.

His highlights were impressive with some serious jets especially that break away speed and seemed to use the ball really well at full speed.

I thought there wasn't many defensive efforts in the highlights but at the end it showed he was ranked third for tackles so that also looks like a tick.

He is also the perfect age for our list. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he is in the mix round 1. Him and Bobby Hill sprinting forward on a quick rebound into offence may be frightening

His highlights were impressive with some serious jets especially that break away speed and seemed to use the ball really well at full speed.

I thought there wasn't many defensive efforts in the highlights but at the end it showed he was ranked third for tackles so that also looks like a tick.

He is also the perfect age for our list. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he is in the mix round 1. Him and Bobby Hill sprinting forward on a quick rebound into offence may be frightening

At 23 he needs to be in the Best 22 or just bit Behind

Looks like the half-forward version of John Noble. Go well, Joe!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back