Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Yze is doing an amazing job to not just have us competitive but we consistently have our noses in front early. Led half time v Saints, Dees. Led 3/4 time v Blues. Let 1/4 time v Eagles. Lost all 4 which is due to a range of factors. Halting oppo momentum is an area where we can improve greatly. It took until Dimma's 4th year to make finals and his 8th year to win a final (and also a flag). I think Yze is getting good improvement out of many younger players like Dow, MJR, Brown, Campbell, Lefau, Miller, Young etc. If we can add Ryan, Sonsie, Banks, Ross, Balta (as fwd) and Cumberland to that list by year's end I will be rapt.

I remember the days U19, reserves (VFL) and seniors playing every Saturday. I rate the VFL.

2017 we had a VFL team loaded up fringe players, coming back from injury, old on the way out. Griffiths, Maric, Lennon, Chol & we won it in 2019

having injured senior players return through the the VFL or play regularly in the VFL, to find form never happens now. And people lose form in sports. I know I got stale playing school b/ball and dropped a level for a few weeks and it worked for me. Should've dropped George quicker/tried to reinvent him.

maybe when we have seen out Dusty & Lynch mega contracts we may be able to have experienced types running around there.

Hunter, Schache, Ben Brown , Tomlinson, Melksham etc makes a great core of a VFL team can play AFL when required.

Kmac could easily drop a level . Let em loose off half back find some touch. Sub last week maybe a step in the right direction
Once we get some players back that will be an option. ATM we have 6 snr listed guys in the VFL & only 2 of them look like they have the form to play snr's, Sonz (in the middle thx) & K.Smith is coming along nicely.

Before this round began, we were 12th for qtr's won for the yr, this despite being on our knee's injury wise. We'll be right & more consistent with some more experience in the side. The kids are doing fine, just lack the consistency the older blokes have.

We've won the contested possession count in 5 out of 7 games, the st Kilda game was only -2. GC the only game we were never really in it. Same time last year 4/7. Not bad considering all the outs/youth playing this year.

From memory pressure rating at one point in the syd game was one of the highest league wide

We'd be decent with a consistent 22 and the plan 'clicking'
So its about contested possessions?

2021 average 129.6

2022 team average 135.8

Add Hopper & Taranto

2023 average 135.8, no improvement at all. in fact shed load of fwd entries, can't score..*Lynch injury. Should've gone way harder for a good KPF in 23.

2024 average 124.8 ,* (injury ravaged season) but even still, we win that stat vs Carlton and lose the game of football.

Waiting for a consistent 22?

Don't hold your breath, you'll get hypoxia

Last edited:
You can only play the cattle you have available, at this juncture RFC is down to bare bones.

While we are not getting the results, the improvement in the younger players is great to see.

The strategic use of a tagger indicates Yze knows the game

i really think yze will be a great coach i think we will start seeing results in year 3 as he gets to know the players strengths and weaknesses and have an influx of hopefully some quality draft picks and we nail them and also richmond is still a destination club with our members and crowd numbers im sure we can lure quality free agents as well

2021 average 129.6

2022 team average 135.8

Add Hopper & Taranto

2023 average 135.8, no improvement at all. in fact shed load of fwd entries, can't score..*Lynch injury. Should've gone way harder for a good KPF in 23.

2024 average 124.8 ,* (injury ravaged season) but even still, we win that stat vs Carlton and lose the game of football.

How we're currently playing and how Yze wants us to play are 2 different things due to the players we have at our disposal.

Ideally the core of how we're going to play is a highly contested brand of footy, where it is difficult for the opposition to win easy ball at the stoppage. That was our biggest weakness last year as teams were often able to beat us at clearances and put us under pressure defensively before we even got the chance to set up.

That is why Yze wanted a midfield built around the likes of Taranto Hopper Martin Prestia & Dow initially because that is what he believed would allow us to play that style of footy. At the moment though 3 of those 5 are currently injured, while Martin seems to be hampered by something that isn't allowing him to play the kind of midfield time that we need him to.

That leaves a second string unit of Bolton Baker Dow Pickett Graham McAuliffe & Sonsie to carry the load at the moment and try as they may, they just aren't capable of performing at the same level.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I like a midfield unit built around Taranto Hopper Ross Dow Sonsie & McAuliffe as the centre square and better outside users in Banks Campbell & Ralphsmith off the wings,. If we can get that group playing regular games together, we will see the style that Yze wants us to play coming to the fore as that group gives Yze the mix of ball winning ability, creativity, ball usage & defensive accountability that the core of the game plan will rely on.

Add to that a forward line that isn't relying on a 5 gamer in Lefau and a resting ruck in Naismith/Nankervis as the main targets, but has Balta and eventually Lynch down there and we will start to capitalize on our ability to win the footy in the midfield, while also allowing our defensive unit the chance to structure up behind the ball without being put under constant attack.

2021 average 129.6

2022 team average 135.8

Add Hopper & Taranto

Why do ya keep quoting averages? We've won the contested possession count in more games so far this year compared to last.

That's good.

It's not all about contested possession, no, but indicates we are playing a decent style of football..as I said originally. Particuarly given all the outs.

That hard to throw Yze a compliment?

this man is having a good old fashioned baptism of faahhhya and is cool as a cucumber

getting a skeleton crew up and about being competitive against near full strength teams, albeit not for whole games but this isn't a Bible story

kind eyes unlike dimma's- looked like he had a white walker's balls in his eye sockets the snake in the grass

i like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brayshaw, Watson, Selwood.
I also thought Luke Darcy was on it as he seems to be on everything.
Just about every commentator or reporter etc are w***ers nowadays as they trot out what the AFL want them to say. I’ve tried CH7 , Other free to air footy shows, Fox and Kayo and they make me all ill as they are all AFL clones of predictable puppets.

Why do ya keep quoting averages? We've won the contested possession count in more games so far this year compared to last.

That's good.

It's not all about contested possession, no, but indicates we are playing a decent style of football..as I said originally. Particuarly given all the outs.

That hard to throw Yze a compliment?

You cannot be serious, Yze has been excellent. without trying to blow wind up his arse

Look at Clarkson, joke. Here is another comparison West Coast under Simpson before they got Harley Reid

I am actually enjoying this year and things are looking ahead for RFC. Youngters are getting played and the signs are good

Yze is doing an amazing job to not just have us competitive but we consistently have our noses in front early. Led half time v Saints, Dees. Led 3/4 time v Blues. Let 1/4 time v Eagles. Lost all 4 which is due to a range of factors. Halting oppo momentum is an area where we can improve greatly. It took until Dimma's 4th year to make finals and his 8th year to win a final (and also a flag). I think Yze is getting good improvement out of many younger players like Dow, MJR, Brown, Campbell, Lefau, Miller, Young etc. If we can add Ryan, Sonsie, Banks, Ross, Balta (as fwd) and Cumberland to that list by year's end I will be rapt.
Yep the poor bugga has been dealt a cruel hand but we’ve been very competitive considering and clear improvement from our younger players , I think we will win a few games as players return

You cannot be serious, Yze has been excellent. without trying to blow wind up his arse

Look at Clarkson, joke. Here is another comparison West Coast under Simpson before they got Harley Reid

I am actually enjoying this year and things are looking ahead for RFC. Youngters are getting played and the signs are good
That’s right it’s only structural holes that have prevented us winning 2 more games v saints and blues and I mean canyons , I’m comfortable where we at

Remove this Banner Ad

Back