Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

or Jack Graham. Not his job to hunt the ball because he goes at 15 per match. Looks like a bust as an inside mid.
Go and watch the Preliminary VFL final if possible, all game RCD hit and tackled harder than any other Richmond player. Not bad for a first year player. He is a tough player, and he likes the contact.

what?

I agree that RCD will get there, but I want to start seeing some more promising signs than we did in his first year. I want to see him dominating at VFL level on a more consistent basis. Give us games where he puts in 4 quarter performances rather than a 10 minute burst here and there. Like I said this morning he needs to be producing games where he gets 23-25 disposals 10-12 contested possessions 4-6 clearance & 4-6 tackles, basically become the number 1 midfielder for the VFL side that sets the tone and gets the game going on our terms. At least that way you can see that he is capable of being that big bodied inside mid that we all are hoping that he will become.
You do realise he was just 18 or 19 years old last season. Being a lean inside mid means he will take a bit longer. He is not a flanker who can do all the fancy stuff, inside mids at VFL come against bodies like Ballard 190cms and 95kg's or kamikazi nuts like Morris. It is not easy coming up against those types having never played against men. But his progression was good in the later part of the season and has trained next to Cotchin all summer because he knows what he has to do.

People calling out RCD as a bust because he doesn't accumulate possession yet Graham who doesn't either no questions asked.
In that VFL final he was possibly the toughest player on the ground I thought. Hit players in the contests really hard. Related to that game only.

RCD doesn’t have the intensity and speed around contests right now to be effective and he needs to build on that.

If you lack both qualities as an inside mid, then you’re probably not going to be doing well and that’s how I see it right now.

He’s got some time, but he wouldn’t want to do nothing in his first 2 years at the club due to performance. His goal this year should be getting a senior debut and having at least one decent senior game. Also, I want to see him dominate VFL games more and have more disposals than last year.

RCD doesn’t have the intensity and speed around contests right now to be effective and he needs to build on that.

If you lack both qualities as an inside mid, then you’re probably not going to be doing well and that’s how I see it right now.

He’s got some time, but he wouldn’t want to do nothing in his first 2 years at the club due to performance. His goal this year should be getting a senior debut and having at least one decent senior game. Also, I want to see him dominate VFL games more and have more disposals than last year.

i really think a lot of people should rewatch RCD last proper game

the premiership where he was near BOG

as a first year player he was very intense against a very mature grand final team

I still remain unconvinced he'll be a really good player. Dow has already flown past him and he's only played half a quarter.

VFL is VFL. Even McJesus was a star at VFL level.

I agree that RCD will get there, but I want to start seeing some more promising signs than we did in his first year. I want to see him dominating at VFL level on a more consistent basis. Give us games where he puts in 4 quarter performances rather than a 10 minute burst here and there. Like I said this morning he needs to be producing games where he gets 23-25 disposals 10-12 contested possessions 4-6 clearance & 4-6 tackles, basically become the number 1 midfielder for the VFL side that sets the tone and gets the game going on our terms. At least that way you can see that he is capable of being that big bodied inside mid that we all are hoping that he will become.
Yes, that’s exactly what I want to see as well. He went missing a little bit too much in the VFL. Also, he had 40% time on ground in last year’s JLT against Melbourne for 6 disposals, and then had 9 disposals with 55% this year against Collingwood.

Yeah he has had limited opportunities in our seniors, but that’s the reason why. Meanwhile, Jack Ross had 21 disposals against Melbourne in the JLT last year with only 59% so of course he’s going to get more opportunities. Thomson Dow has 5 disposals and a behind with only 20% game time so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him debut before RCD.

I hope we give RCD another senior opportunity this week against GWS, but if he does play then he needs to show something. If not and he performs in the VFL in the way you described again, then he probably won’t get much senior opportunities this year.

i really think a lot of people should rewatch RCD last proper game

the premiership where he was near BOG

as a first year player he was very intense against a very mature grand final team
That’s one game though. I think he was great in the VFL Grand Final, but I was talking about how his normal output looks like and how his performance was against Collingwood last Sunday.

There isn’t much explosiveness to his game like you’d normally see with the best tall mids like Dusty, Fyfe, Cripps and Dangerfield. They had that element in their game since they were young IMO so I want to see that from RCD regularly as well.

rubbish re watch the vfl gf

not sure how people see him as a defender

rcd very much a mid, imo
At this stage he looks way off it.
A few goals in a VFL gf and all of a sudden he's an AFL bonafide mid.
Not buying it.
Sunday's effort was disappointing.
A move to the backline might be his thing.
Only have to look at Vlas.

That’s one game though. I think he was great in the VFL Grand Final, but I was talking about how his normal output looks like and how his performance was against Collingwood last Sunday.

perhaps but he was a first year player. his 2nd season hasnt started yet and he is a 'project player'

everyone gotta chill out

At this stage he looks way off it.
A few goals in a VFL gf and all of a sudden he's an AFL bonafide mid.
Not buying it.
Sunday's effort was disappointing.
A move to the backline might be his thing.
Only have to look at Vlas.

Sunday was a practice game... im not talking about the RCD-grand final goals; im talking about his impact on the contest as a inside mid and general intensity - he had a greater impact than what his stats indicate with his presence

rcd as a defender is for mine a bad take but just IMO

vlastuin isnt a good comparison imo

It's ok to admit we got one wrong Pruesty.

indeed but the coach is going around saying hes like danger so maybe hold fire

Last edited:
perhaps but he was a first year player. his 2nd season hasnt started yet and he is a 'project player'

everyone gotta chill out
As I edited in my previous post, tall mids like Dusty, Fyfe, Danger, Cripps and Bontempelli had that explosive element in their game as young players even when they did not get the ball often. It’s not what I see with RCD so that’s what I want to see even if it is only at VFL level this year. I’m not alarmed, but there was a reason why players drafted before and after him got games last year and he didn’t. Just saying that his game on Sunday isn’t going to change that.

everyone gotta chill out

im not talking about the goals im talking about his impact on the contest as a inside mid and general intensity - he had a greater impact than what his stats indicate with his presence

rcd as a defender is for mine a bad take but just IMO

vlastuin isnt a good comparison imo

indeed but the coach is going around saying hes like danger so maybe hold fire
Much easier to being a defender than a mid.
Kid needs a huge dose of confidence.Using his attributes running straight at the ball like Grimes does might be his ticket.
Or would you rather him keep serving up what he already has outside one game?
Have seen it all before with these type of players only for them too fall by the wayside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know where you have found that but if it was on the website take it with a pinch of salt. As he said in an interview, he lost 6kgs of chub, and replaced it with muscle, so possibly weighs around the 90kg mark like last year. Be very surprised if the Bont is only 90kg's.
Your right, I went too early from the wiki page
Bont listed at 93 now.

You do realise he was just 18 or 19 years old last season. Being a lean inside mid means he will take a bit longer. He is not a flanker who can do all the fancy stuff, inside mids at VFL come against bodies like Ballard 190cms and 95kg's or kamikazi nuts like Morris. It is not easy coming up against those types having never played against men. But his progression was good in the later part of the season and has trained next to Cotchin all summer because he knows what he has to do.
RCD was 189cm & 89kg last year and reportedly 193cm & 93kg this year, so he has grown into his body a bit more and that is why I want to see the almost moments become moments, where the first hands on the footy become a clearance, where the hitting a pack hard becomes emerging on the other side with the ball, where the attempted tackle becomes a opposition stopping tackle. He improved his running ability so I want to see those 12-15 disposal games becoming 20-25 disposals where he gets more of the outside footy and becomes more involved in all aspects of play and not just the in tight stuff.

Much easier to being a defender than a mid.
Kid needs a huge dose of confidence.Using his attributes running straight at the ball like Grimes does might be his ticket.
Or would you rather him keep serving up what he already has outside one game?
Have seen it all before with these type of players only for them too fall by the wayside.

maybe maybe not - his size its what makes him different to what we have seen before.

it will be different at afl level where they are bigger but hes just turned 20 and was always regarded as a long term type, even predraft

I struggle to see him as a defender i fear he hasnt got the skill or iq as of yet. I also think moving him from the guts takes away his best qualities. but ive been wrong quite often

i also find it convenient you praise the knowledge of the coaching team yet disregard their latest comments ie. in regard to 2mums

coming good in a grand final is a pretty good match to pick. I cant remember the vFL prelim currently but the guy above says he went alright then too which is nice

As I edited in my previous post, tall mids like Dusty, Fyfe, Danger, Cripps and Bontempelli had that explosive element in their game as young players even when they did not get the ball often. It’s not what I see with RCD so that’s what I want to see even if it is only at VFL level this year. I’m not alarmed, but there was a reason why players drafted before and after him got games last year and he didn’t. Just saying that his game on Sunday isn’t going to change that.

RCD has some explosive moments in the grand final 3rd q (premiership quarter)

outside of the highlights i like his general hitting hard of bodies in pack and contest situations. explosive, intensity etc. maybe i am overrating him in this - looking forward to watching what he can put together this season. fingers crossed i guess

Last edited:
maybe maybe not - his size its what makes him different to what we have seen before.

it will be different at afl level where they are bigger but hes just turned 20 and was always regarded as a long term type, even predraft

I struggle to see him as a defender i fear he hasnt got the skill or iq as of yet. I also think moving him from the guts takes away his best qualities. but ive been wrong quite often

i also find it convenient you praise the knowledge of the coaching team yet disregard their latest comments ie. in regard to 2mums

coming good in a grand final is a pretty good match to pick. I cant remember the vFL prelim currently but the guy above says he went alright then too which is nice

outside of the highlights i like his general hitting hard of bodies in pack and contest situations. explosive, intensity etc. maybe i am overrating him in this - looking forward to watching what he can put together this season. fingers crossed i guess

Those first 2 mins really blew my socks off lol. Not 1 hard ball get in that GF package.

RCD was 189cm & 89kg last year and reportedly 193cm & 93kg this year, so he has grown into his body a bit more and that is why I want to see the almost moments become moments, where the first hands on the footy become a clearance, where the hitting a pack hard becomes emerging on the other side with the ball, where the attempted tackle becomes a opposition stopping tackle. He improved his running ability so I want to see those 12-15 disposal games becoming 20-25 disposals where he gets more of the outside footy and becomes more involved in all aspects of play and not just the in tight stuff.
He hasn't been 189cm for ages, was drafted at 193cm, said so on his interview last year after the draft. Anyway good luck to him.

Those first 2 mins really blew my socks off lol. Not 1 hard ball get in that GF package.

certainly wasnt a dusty like package but like i say - imo much of the good stuff is him smacking into blokes when the football is around. as a 19 year vs the 2nd best team in the 2nd best league.

he made an impact at several contests - Richmond were generally terrible for the last 3q too

We see it differently which is fine.Hopefully one of us is right.
I have full faith in our coaches obviously but you can st times take things said by the fd with a grain of salt.
In this case just a reinforcement message to rcd might have done the trick.But alas not to be.

An early season reality check for RCD, lets see how he responds. Does he sulk again or does he use it to motivate him for early part of the VFL season to show that he does belong.

Not knocking the kid here but it seems when people criticise this kid its the same thing over and over.

As i have said a few times i think the reason he lasted to pick 20 was the lack of consistency not getting his hands on the pill enough and not getting involved when he didnt have the ball.

It really does seem that last yr this continued and it is something that has to be rectified.

One thing for sure if he isnt getting it in the vfl or low intensity pre season games then it has to be a concern.

When and dare i say IF he finds that consistency not just week to week but thru out games im sure he will get senior selection. Theres no guarantees with any junior that is drafted at any club, all you can hope for is they can improve on the things that hold em back.
My main concern is im not sure Riley will ever become a big accumulator of the ball because thus far that seems to be the norm with him.
In saying all that you can certainly see why he was drafted, what he could potentially offer with his pace size athleticism is mouth watering to think about. Its no point having all these attributes if you cant get enough of the ball though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back