Autopsy Well that was ordinary....disappointing loss to Hawks. - Rd 16, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's look at Richmond and see what they are doing compared to us.

1. They have players who are super quick over 10 metres (or know where to go to, instinctively) which enables them to impact when they don't have the ball and release effectively when they do have it. A preseason of drills? The right player selection?
2. They have players who have balance, poise, dart, wriggle, weave to greater effect than we do. We have players who go to ground, try to charge through or get surrounded too quickly
3. Richmond don't appear to have too many players who are slow to release the ball. We have Adams, Boyd, Roberts, Jong who can seem like dinosaurs it takes them that long to get balanced or get the ball from possession to hand ball (or kick) in congestion.
4. We still have players who do the unforgivable....the up and under 40 metre kick....Wallis, Dahl, Biggs. Richmond have more players who can kick the longer darts.
5. We cannot work hard enough. Richmond have made an art form of helping one another through sheer hard work in getting numbers to the contest. They have surpassed us in 2016 in their ability to get a hand in and strip the ball from the opposition.
6. We cannot be successful while we have players who miss the number of targets we do. What was the point of Gowers kicking the ball into the forward area with no-one there? He might as well have just handed the ball over to the Hawks.
7. When we have looked better we have discipline in that players punch the ball to our ground level scouts. But it's what oppositions do to us when we all fly for the ball, have no-one at the back, no-one defending their spare.
8. We don't seem to want to crash packs to get the contested mark. Other teams do. Riewoldt does AND moves around the ground continually.

This is not to deny we are a young side or that we are injury riddled, but it does have me questioning the type of player we have compared to the type of player the Tigers have gone after in the last 2 years.

It all starts in the middle and when we fall away, we seem to have no plan for combatting what is happening. We sorely lack big bodied, mobile, agile bigs who have a lethal peg and a football brain. Bont is injured.....he went to ground far too often not to be. You don't see too many tigers going to ground.

I'm not an expert on the draft but just for starters, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get Rankine.

Oh, and I thought our first half against the Hawks was nowhere near the level of intensity of the week before.

Anyone see Sicily that dog do a sling tackle on Richards and then shoulder him in the head while he lay flat on the ground from the tackle? Should be sent to the tribunal - imagine if Richards had been knocked out from his illegal tackle and he elbowed him in the head?

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I only saw the first half so I was saved from the worst. The first half was very promising. A lot of our kids played well. Roarke played his best half of football, Lynch again looked great. Heaps of time, made space. Very exciting. I know it fell away from there but hopefully next week we play like the first half and can forget the second.
Hot tip - don't watch it!!

Anyone see Sicily that dog do a sling tackle on Richards and then shoulder him in the head while he lay flat on the ground from the tackle? Should be sent to the tribunal - imagine if Richards had been knocked out from his illegal tackle and he elbowed him in the head?

View attachment 524860

The guy is a complete p****

He'll get what's coming to him one day.

View attachment 524895
Very homo-erotic vision, Sicily clearly has a thing for redheads and likes it rough.

Let's look at Richmond and see what they are doing compared to us.

1. They have players who are super quick over 10 metres (or know where to go to, instinctively) which enables them to impact when they don't have the ball and release effectively when they do have it. A preseason of drills? The right player selection?
2. They have players who have balance, poise, dart, wriggle, weave to greater effect than we do. We have players who go to ground, try to charge through or get surrounded too quickly
3. Richmond don't appear to have too many players who are slow to release the ball. We have Adams, Boyd, Roberts, Jong who can seem like dinosaurs it takes them that long to get balanced or get the ball from possession to hand ball (or kick) in congestion.
4. We still have players who do the unforgivable....the up and under 40 metre kick....Wallis, Dahl, Biggs. Richmond have more players who can kick the longer darts.
5. We cannot work hard enough. Richmond have made an art form of helping one another through sheer hard work in getting numbers to the contest. They have surpassed us in 2016 in their ability to get a hand in and strip the ball from the opposition.
6. We cannot be successful while we have players who miss the number of targets we do. What was the point of Gowers kicking the ball into the forward area with no-one there? He might as well have just handed the ball over to the Hawks.
7. When we have looked better we have discipline in that players punch the ball to our ground level scouts. But it's what oppositions do to us when we all fly for the ball, have no-one at the back, no-one defending their spare.
8. We don't seem to want to crash packs to get the contested mark. Other teams do. Riewoldt does AND moves around the ground continually.

This is not to deny we are a young side or that we are injury riddled, but it does have me questioning the type of player we have compared to the type of player the Tigers have gone after in the last 2 years.

It all starts in the middle and when we fall away, we seem to have no plan for combatting what is happening. We sorely lack big bodied, mobile, agile bigs who have a lethal peg and a football brain. Bont is injured.....he went to ground far too often not to be. You don't see too many tigers going to ground.

I'm not an expert on the draft but just for starters, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get Rankine.

Oh, and I thought our first half against the Hawks was nowhere near the level of intensity of the week before.
Everything looks good when you are relatively injury free and playing with confidence as the Tigers are now. Cast your mind back to this time 2011 and the Pies looked unstoppable again and look what happened after that.

Don't forget the Tigers lost interstate this year on 3 occasions and would in all likelihood have never won the Premiership last year had they had to win two away finals as we did in 2016.

That's not to say we cant learn something from the Tigers but I really believe confidence plays a big part and that also comes with experience.

Everything looks good when you are relatively injury free and playing with confidence as the Tigers are now. Cast your mind back to this time 2011 and the Pies looked unstoppable again and look what happened after that.

Don't forget the Tigers lost interstate this year on 3 occasions and would in all likelihood have never won the Premiership last year had they had to win two away finals as we did in 2016.

That's not to say we cant learn something from the Tigers but I really believe confidence plays a big part and that also comes with experience.

They're treading a fine line and getting close to cockiness.

Success is fleeting and I wonder what people's views of Jack Higgins and his antics would be if the Tigers were 10th.

Thanks for this. Dont suppose you have this broken down into quarters by any chance. Mostly interested in the third and who attended center bounces if at all possible.
Unfortunately not. I take specific note of each half breakdowns for debutants and ballpark breakdowns for regulars that are unexpectedly absent from the mix for either half, but I don't do specific breakdowns by quarter.

It wouldn't be overly hard to reconfigure the spreadsheet for Bulldog games if the demand is there for specific quarter-by-quarter breakdowns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back