FTA-TV Wentworth

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t know how I feel about that. Feels like they took the easy way out, in a show that always shocked you and made tough calls. Having only Judy and Anne die was the easy call, needed someone we care about to die, to have gravitas.

Having the final shot of the the crew standing around Allie’s stretcher bed with Will, laughing and happy, while a dead body is within touching distance, seemed a bit.....

Will we see a spin-off series of Ferguson on the run? Have to say, the closing credits were the best part of the episode. But what a ride over the journey.

It doesnt take away from the whole series, but that was such a Disney ending. The only two to die are the two noone cares for, Kelly gets beat up and caught by Rita, Ferguson the great anti-hero turns saviour, everyone we care for lives to tell the tale. Balls. Very un-Wentworth. But, what a series it was. Best Aussie tv show ever made by a mile. Some of the best tv characters we’ll ever see. Sad its over.

Pretty much had the same thoughts

There's been some chatter about it being picked up down the track, when things become easier.
Brian Walsh, from Foxtel alluded to it in an interview, that Fremantle are exploring "sequel" ideas, but for now, it needed a break.
Foxtel retains first rights of refusal for any further Wentworth series.

I think the pandemic and remembering that the final season was filmed during Melbournes lockdown last year presented major challenges, I know they were shutdown a couple of times. There's been an acknowledgement in each episodes credits this season about the work of the secondary cast and extras, so who knows? I'm sure the writers learnt a lesson after season 7, when they were renewed despite having written the final scenes, so they've left it more open now.

To the finale itself, it seemed to out pace itself, one moment the bomb was being set on timer, and in a blink of an eye, it was 15 minutes away from exploding. One thing I'm not piecing together, is they had eyes on the brawler all afternoon, yet they stormed the brawler thinking Bryant was inside, having never seen her make her way from the prison to the van.

They've loved giving Ferguson some supernatural imagery this season, from the Ring climbing out of the freezer, to the creeping behind Ann scene and the hero on the hill scene. One commenter online found it hilarious that they played Stand By Me when "the lady who couldn't walk" was reunited with the family. How did the phone survive a 5kg bomb blast, yet mine smashes when it drops 1m off a table.

I think there's still a lot of life in the old girl yet, be interesting to see what worldwide fan support will bring about.

I like that they've ended it with a few things left unknown, there is an ever so small chance of Netflix picking it up in a year or so, post-pandemic.
Pretty much had the same thoughts

The fact that Allie survived where I was sure they would kill her off to be reunited with Bea, made me feel that there is a small chance of this being picked up in the future.

Thought Ferguson would be killed off too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished it. It was good til the end which not every TV show can do. Good ending, not the best but solid. Probably my favourite Aussie series. Casting very good throughout.

A few final thoughts:
1. I guess it's implied Ruby and/or Rita get off with the recording on the mobile?
2. Ferguson, life on the run or back to prison?
3. Would have been cool to see who ends up final top dog, given it importance through every season as a theme.
4. Would have liked to have seen Lou Kelly's fate. Do the women come for her for revenge?
5. Feel for Dr Miller in the end. One of the only characters who maintains a moral compass and ethics, does what he does only to try and help his patient, kind of gets screwed over in the end.

Casting throughout was very good.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back