West Coast v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2001
Perth
Other Teams
Eagles
I was thinking about this weekends game, and I realised that I haven't seen a lot of the Bullies over the pre-season. Plus I missed last weeks game on TV.

Both sides have changed quite considerably, and there are a couple of match-ups which I'm just not sure about.

Who do you think will tag Ben Cousins?
I'd doubt Libba will be given the job. Mark Alvey? Rohan Smith perhaps?

And how about Phil Matera?
Mathew Robbins? Mathew Hahn?

Also, is there a permanent small forward in your side now?
Or do Johnson, Brown and Garlick just rotate through there at different times?

Hope this doesn't make me look like an uninformed, chardonnay sipping West Coast supporter. ;)

Thanks.

Cousins - maybe Libba but I wouldn't. You'd just push Cousins forward more then. Besides, Libba just doesn't have the legs to do it. It won't be Alvey. I'd use Robbins, but Smith's possible. Hahn's another possible.

Phil Matera - I wouldn't use Robbins but he could well get it. The other possible is Birss (will be his 2nd game). He got Pickett in the 2nd half last week and did alright. It won't be Mitchell Hahn. Not quick enough. He's better suited to the strong medium sized forward. It better not be Libba.

Small permanent forwards - Yes, Johnno, Brown and Garlick have rotated through so far. Most of us think Garlick should be left there or left out. Giansiracusa will probably spend most of his time forward. Alvey too. But they all rotate through the forward line usually except West and Libba.

I like the idea of pushing Grant down back again this week.I just have a feeling he will play down back and will stop alot of the eagles scoring.Besides Wilson there main scoring options are pretty much crumbers.With Grant standing in the hole I find i hard to see the coasters kicking a winning score.Darcy also needs a big one to force Worsfold to play Gardiner in the ruck rather than pushing him forward as he has been trying to do.

I think this weeks game against the Eagles will be a game where Terry will be looking for experiments.
I would probably play Robbins on Cousins, but I think Terry will play Alvey on Cousins - (like you mentioned Buzz)
As for the Matera brothers, I would like to see Smith pick up Peter, and I think that may happen. As for Phillip, I think Terry will play McMahon on him. The Matera brothers are lightning fast, and so are Smith and McMahon. The two are ideal match-ups, think about it. These 2 match-ups also leave alot of other UNIQUE match-ups around the groung.

Who will get the job on Jackovic? - Grant, Bandy, Hunter, Penny? I suppose you can really play either of the 4 men on him, but I dont think Terry will play Bandy on Jacko, I think Penny and Grant will rotate off him. I think Terry will push Hunter forward, and leave Grant and Penny in the backline, whilst pushing Bandy up to support Hunter, Giansiracusa and Bowden in the forward line - (please be in Bowden)

We MUST stop Wiirapunda, I think Robbins will get the job on him, two similar players, both with burning and excellerating pace. This match-up will be the best match-up I will ever experiance. Think about it. Both guys have started 2002 on a blast, both in great form, with two very similar game styles. I wouldnt be surprised if the winner of this match-up, will be the result at the end of the game, to who actually wins the match.

I would play Crofty on Wilson, (of course) and im pretty sure Wallace wont want to experiment there, however I wouldnt be surprised. I was actually thinking during the week that Terry might start Crofty up forward. It wouldnt be a bad move actually, keep your eyes peeled for it ;)

Now who will pick up Johnson I do not know. possibly Bandfield, but I couldnt really be sure. I think the Bulldogs will win this (of course) and win by a good margin, but not a comfrotable margin

- Dogs by 22 points :)

How could you possible put McMahon on Phil Matera? Phil plays forward pocket and McMahon showed last week that he has at the moment very little defensive skills. Not saying he is a bad player but definitively better suit to the wing. Give Hargrave or Birss a good here.

With Jakovich playing CHB it’s a matter of who he and West Coast will line up on not vice versa. That is it’s most likely that The Bulldogs don't get a choice here. Grant has played well on him before but will Grant play CHF?

The Wirrupunda match up really worries me, 2 weeks in a row Robbins man (Macleod & Pickett) have kept the opposition in the game. Are we tempting fate with this match up?
With Robbins playing well as an attacking player I think Smith is a better defensive option here.

Originally posted by Flood Gates

We MUST stop Wiirapunda, I think Robbins will get the job on him, two similar players, both with burning and excellerating pace. This match-up will be the best match-up I will ever experiance. Think about it. Both guys have started 2002 on a blast, both in great form, with two very similar game styles. I wouldnt be surprised if the winner of this match-up, will be the result at the end of the game, to who actually wins the match.

He had a good first game and an average second game.I see him as the only player really worth tagging.Cousins is a natural ball winner but like West he isnt going to scorch us with penetrating kicking or blistering breakaway pace.If we must sacrifice a midfield position to tag Cousins I would prefer Dimma,Libba or even Shane Birss.I know Libba has struggled early but he is yet to play on someone that even half suits him.I would like to see him get a chance to do a lock down on someone who just gets the ball rather than a run and recieve type.Theres not many options for Wirrupunda but his form last season and last week havent been anything spectacular so maybe we should just let him go and make it a showdown.He may play down back anyway.

Originally posted by Flood Gates

Robbins had a match up last week that possibly did decide who won the match. And if Robbins plays as loose on Wirrpunda as he did on Pickett it will be the best match up Wirrpunda ever experiences

I am a convert to the Grant playing in the back half idea.

He completely takes away the opponent he plays on, makes them a non-entity, and can provide some drive himself.
That equals more than he looks like giving us up forward just at the moment.

Key backline possies of Grant and Penny, with Hunter or Croft then able to push forward.

Originally posted by sigscotty
I am a convert to the Grant playing in the back half idea.

He completely takes away the opponent he plays on, makes them a non-entity, and can provide some drive himself.
That equals more than he looks like giving us up forward just at the moment.

Key backline possies of Grant and Penny, with Hunter or Croft then able to push forward.
Im coming around slowly aswell.Im a big wrap for the idea at Colonial.Has anyone noticed how exciting and quick we looked with him rebounding off half back and the kids running around the wings.Your right about his opponent Sig he just reads the play that well that his opponent is ten metres behind when the ball gets near him.

[I know Libba has struggled early but he is yet to play on someone that even half suits him.I would like to see him get a chance to do a lock down on someone who just gets the ball rather than a run and recieve type.. [/B][/QUOTE]

I reckon Libba will take Chris Judd. New boy who supposedly played like a gun against the Pies. Libba will show him what AFL's really like. :D :)

:D I was actually thinking the same thing.
Libba has a history of upsetting our young gun midfielders.

I think you're worrying a bit too much about Wirrpunda. His start to the season has been very slow, and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the game in defence just so he can get a bit of the ball.

The thing that really has me worries me about this weekend, is the thought of Nathan Brown and Brad Johnson roaming around the forward line. With Phil Read gone for the year, we've lacked a classy small defender, and have had to use Taylor, Braun and Banners down there. Broadie Holland really exposed these guys for pace last week.

Croft on Troy Wilson would be a worry for your side. I just don't think he's got the leg speed to stay with Wilson on the lead.
I actually think Hunter (who is very fast) or maybe Penny would be better options.
Getting Chris Grant to fill the hole Willow leads into is a good idea. But be warned, Willow almost killed Anthony Jones and Shane Wakelin when they tried to do the same thing.

Thanks for the info by the way.
Should be interesting to see how it all pans out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With you all worrying about Wirrpunda and Cuz...i was thinking that you had left out Judd. I know it will only be his second game but the kids a natural and was BOG for the Eagles last week. Be wary of him.

If Grant goes back which i expect him to...will he play at CHB or just roam around as the loose man in defence? If he plays CHB then he will take on Gardiner, bothe very good players, dont know how Grants from is but Gardiner has started pretty well and this could be the matchup of the game.

Whoever Grant plays on are made to look terrible when there on Grant.He is possibly the best key position reader of the play I have seen.I suspect they will just try desperately to drag him out of the play.BTW Jod how about Hoges winning MVP.A very deserved winner,Ricky Grace pffffft:) ;).

My big tip for this week is put 4 taggers on Nathan Brown because he will be on a mission this week.

Originally posted by jod23

If Grant goes back which i expect him to...will he play at CHB or just roam around as the loose man in defence? If he plays CHB then he will take on Gardiner, bothe very good players, dont know how Grants from is but Gardiner has started pretty well and this could be the matchup of the game.

Gardiner is no match for Grant. They're in a different class

Originally posted by jod23

If you think so but Gardy is no easy beat....wouldnt worry about Nathan Brown...i predict he will have a shocker.
I predict you whole team will have shockers:D Wallace is really talking up how much of a crunch game this is and I am not sure if that wont back fire.We are a running team and would prefer to see him attempting to get the structure and match ups right rather than publicly berating his players whos confidence will already low.If the players dont realise for themselves how important this match is then.................. We have already given up 2 very winnable games if we drop this one I expect some high profile heads to roll.

half a chance?

i would imagine that we are half a chance this week. the only time we seem to win is when our backs are to the wall. With the huge news last night, Brown fine, penny out, Wallace calling them chokers, gettin rolled last week etc I don't think our backs can be much more to the wall, do you?

doggies by 4 points

Re: half a chance?

Originally posted by SonOfScray
i would imagine that we are half a chance this week. the only time we seem to win is when our backs are to the wall. With the huge news last night, Brown fine, penny out, Wallace calling them chokers, gettin rolled last week etc I don't think our backs can be much more to the wall, do you?

doggies by 4 points
We need to lose that attitude, if it is still persisting. Our backs are permanently adhered to the wall, yet we still find ways to lose winnable games. When's the last time we won a game we weren't expected to win? Round 21 2000?

We are a strong chance this week, with the personnel and experience we have there is no way we should lose. Backs to wall or any other excuses should not come into it.

Originally posted by dogboy23
I predict you whole team will have shockers:D Wallace is really talking up how much of a crunch game this is and I am not sure if that wont back fire.We are a running team and would prefer to see him attempting to get the structure and match ups right rather than publicly berating his players whos confidence will already low.If the players dont realise for themselves how important this match is then.................. We have already given up 2 very winnable games if we drop this one I expect some high profile heads to roll.

I'd be happy to see the whole Weagles team have shockers. I'll give the boys as much vocal support as I can. Would someone be kind enough to volunteer to keep the Ching progressive tally going for the next few weeks while I'm away? If not I'll do it when I get back. Cheers ;)

Re: Re: half a chance?

Originally posted by Curly5

We need to lose that attitude, if it is still persisting. Our backs are permanently adhered to the wall, yet we still find ways to lose winnable games. When's the last time we won a game we weren't expected to win? Round 21 2000?

We are a strong chance this week, with the personnel and experience we have there is no way we should lose. Backs to wall or any other excuses should not come into it.
Last year in massive games we were flogged by Carlton,Collingwood-2,Port,Essendon and North.That Carlton game is the perfect example of the backs to the wall mentality working against us.The players just think it is going to happen for them now and its ridiculous.Your payed that much you shouldnt need to have any extra motivation.We have the ability but do we have the hunger?

Re: Re: half a chance?

Originally posted by Curly5

Don't underestimate the eagles. We may have had a shocker last year, but as you may have noticed we are a different team this year. Our pre-season form was very good, we won our round1 game and lost against collingwood at the MCG by only 1pt. This week we also have the homeground advantage, have basically a full list to pick from (only about 5 players unavailable), and the doggies don't have the talls to trouble us (hot and 29C is the forecast weather, so talls will prosper). Darcy is a great player, but he alone can't play Ruck, Defence and Forward. Grant is probably still underdone due to his lack of pre-season and the players are low on morale if the last 2 weeks are anything to go by.

Taking into consideration the above mentioned factors and the fact that our forwards are on fire whereas your defense is considered quite weak, i think we will win.

West Coast by 30pts.

Re: Re: Re: half a chance?

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes

Don't underestimate the eagles. We may have had a shocker last year, but as you may have noticed we are a different team this year. Our pre-season form was very good, we won our round1 game and lost against collingwood at the MCG by only 1pt. This week we also have the homeground advantage, have basically a full list to pick from (only about 5 players unavailable), and the doggies don't have the talls to trouble us (hot and 29C is the forecast weather, so talls will prosper). Darcy is a great player, but he alone can't play Ruck, Defence and Forward. Grant is probably still underdone due to his lack of pre-season and the players are low on morale if the last 2 weeks are anything to go by.

Taking into consideration the above mentioned factors and the fact that our forwards are on fire whereas your defense is considered quite weak, i think we will win.

West Coast by 30pts.
You cant really use the home ground advantage factor on us because our away record is twice as good as our home record.We are probably the best away team in the comp.As for quality talls I will take our 2 top quality talls over your 0 top quality talls anyday.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back