Arty Jones
Dom Bendendodnendo
Vanda
Booookoooo
Cleary
Garcia
Baker
Poulter

Where do we see these guys in 24? They survived the cut, and have all played at least a handful of games without cementing a spot. So they are showing something

I’m a big Artie Jones fan and expect his progression to continue. Still think he’s another year away from being a regular. I’m also bullish on Poulter (more than most here) and feel he’ll play regularly this season (providing he stays focused). I hope Dom can stay healthy and fulfill his athletic potential?Not sure Buku/Garcia/Cleary get much game time barring injuries, all 3 serviceable depth. Not sure what to make of Baker yet (jury still out for me) and Vanders is a bust for me (his speed make keep him around)

I think Artie Jones and Cleary will ultimately play in a premiership. Eventually.

The rest will slowly fade away to state leagues, landscaping or artistic endeavours.

Confident on Jones & Poulter. The rest I struggle to see it with I guess.

VDM - Not good enough
Buku - Behind too many
Bedendo - Hasn’t played any consistent high quality footy at all
Baker - Honest battler and solid depth but he’s 25
Cleary - Has ability but I don’t think he has the competitive and hardness to make it in his position
Garcia - Not good enough

Jones - needs to keep showing improvement, particularly by finding more ways to impact the game. Could go either way - I would be equally unsurprised to see him delisted or in the best 22 by end of year.
Bedendo - outside chance to make it. Has some talent but questionable best position and just cannot find continuity with his body. I like him but that is not based on anything substantive. He needs to produce this season.
Vandermeer - has the attributes to be a solid role player, but his combination of questionable decision-making and inconsistent defence makes him a net negative currently. There will be plenty of opportunity for him to push for selection and he needs to be making the most of it.
Buku - won't make it. Needs to be pushing for consistent selection this season but hard to see how that happens.
Cleary - I like him as a good role player but it's clear the club see him as being a bit further back than BigFooty does. Not many players in his position (i.e., solid performances at VFL level but rarely if ever considered at AFL level) have gone on to have long careers under Beveridge. Needs to become either more damaging with the ball or more impactful defensively. I suspect he needs a big year in the coaches' eyes. Opportunity will be there.
Garcia - the gulf between his best and worst is astronomical and that is not a recipe for making it as a small mid/fwd. I don't think he makes it and I think competition for his position is far too strong to have any faith in him playing any significant minutes.
Baker - ceiling is as a fringe role player, but not sure he is ever a consistent fixture. Just not quite clean enough, but definitely has some positive attributes. As above, opportunities will be there. Need to see him get involved more. I prefer him at half forward than wing.
Poulter - not convinced yet, but has the skillset to be a solid wing at the level. I suspect he plays at least 10+ games next season but we need to see him be more damaging.

Bonus: McNeil - won't make it.

The short version is that I don't have high expectations for this group. Jones/Cleary/Poulter are the ones I think have the highest chances of being frequent fixtures moving forward, with Buku/Garcia/McNeil at the other end. Bedendo could either be the best of the bunch or a certain delisting on year's end - we just haven't seen enough.

Ideally Jones is best 22 and impacting most weeks.

Poulter has a chance.

Baker isn't terrible.

Cleary is a bit of a mystery to me. Seems to be playing well but doesn't get games. Then when he does he plays ok and gets dropped so I'm not sure what's going on there.

I used to rate Garcia but that shocking game with the 50m penalties still burns in my brain.

VDM just panics too much. Fumbles and has poor decision making. He's not good enough defensively to put up with it.

Buku should be developed as a half back. Not going to be getting games as a forward in this side.

Bedendo I'm not sure about. Was flying at some point last pre season then never seen again. Last chance saloon for him

Jones - needs to keep showing improvement, particularly by finding more ways to impact the game. Could go either way - I would be equally unsurprised to see him delisted or in the best 22 by end of year.
Bedendo - outside chance to make it. Has some talent but questionable best position and just cannot find continuity with his body. I like him but that is not based on anything substantive. He needs to produce this season.
Vandermeer - has the attributes to be a solid role player, but his combination of questionable decision-making and inconsistent defence makes him a net negative currently. There will be plenty of opportunity for him to push for selection and he needs to be making the most of it.
Buku - won't make it. Needs to be pushing for consistent selection this season but hard to see how that happens.
Cleary - I like him as a good role player but it's clear the club see him as being a bit further back than BigFooty does. Not many players in his position (i.e., solid performances at VFL level but rarely if ever considered at AFL level) have gone on to have long careers under Beveridge. Needs to become either more damaging with the ball or more impactful defensively. I suspect he needs a big year in the coaches' eyes. Opportunity will be there.
Garcia - the gulf between his best and worst is astronomical and that is not a recipe for making it as a small mid/fwd. I don't think he makes it and I think competition for his position is far too strong to have any faith in him playing any significant minutes.
Baker - ceiling is as a fringe role player, but not sure he is ever a consistent fixture. Just not quite clean enough, but definitely has some positive attributes. As above, opportunities will be there. Need to see him get involved more. I prefer him at half forward than wing.
Poulter - not convinced yet, but has the skillset to be a solid wing at the level. I suspect he plays at least 10+ games next season but we need to see him be more damaging.

The short version is that I don't have high expectations for this group. Jones/Cleary/Poulter are the ones I think have the highest chances of being frequent fixtures moving forward, with Buku/Garcia/McNeil at the other end. Bedendo could either be the best of the bunch or a certain delisting on year's end - we just haven't seen enough.
Bang on.

9 swings. 0 misses.

hammer.gif

I agree that it seems we don’t rate Cleary internally but we did give him a 3 year contract (which surprised me when I read it) which says a bit IMO

Garcia plays some brilliant VFL footy, I think his skills are too poor considering his size to be anything more than a depth player. Think he’s got just enough strings to his bow to be an okay 20-25 guy but that’s probably the ceiling.

Cleary & AJ I think can also be top 20 players without starring, can both go either way but definitely have high level AFL attributes. Both need to find the size and more importantly physicality for AFL level. Role players.

Bedendo I think I’m the only one that sees it but he’s as talented as just about any on this list outside of the team, he will be a gun if he gets his body right I’ll take that to my grave. He’s just got it. Skills, athletic ability, game sense, star power, goal sense - future AA IMO

Poulter has zero weapons, Baker average depth - battler, Buku has some attributes but won’t make it here at least in the forward line. Vanders is crap.

Jesus we're a harsh bunch on here.

Garcia absolutely has the grunt and ceiling to make it, but he needs to lift his 'floor'. I actually thought his 2023 was a little like West's 2022 where some of his on-field errors came from wanting it 'too much' if that makes sense.

I wouldn't have given Baker 2 years even if he does 'understand space's (to borrow a coaching term). He's depth.

Poulter will be fine if he develops the right side of his body.

Buks is a good VFL player and popular in the group but he just doesn't fit anywhere in the AFL side and is very lucky to get the extra year.
Bedendo is a unicorn and similar to Buks, a little better athletically, but without the production or durability.

Jones is a kid and developing but has 'tools'. Started very light so we have to be patient but we don't actually have a lot of players that 'bring their own energy' so he does have that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gallagher leapfrogs most of them to be honest. His game seems like it would transition well to AFL.

Think our perception of who are and aren't fringe will be totally different by the first intraclub match.

Hopefully we see some radical and unexpected improvements from some players in areas we couldn't have anticipated due to our increased coaching resources.

Positional selection integrity and individual player improvements all benefiting heavily with so much more input

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Poulter can make it as a wingman. Arty can get there too just needs a bit more strength still on the light side has the energy and skills.
I worry when I see vanda anywhere near the ball. Needs a good sport's psychologist to get the best out of him.
Baker tries hard but will remain fringe. Likewise for Garcia. Haven't seen enough of Cleary or Bedendo to express an opinion. Love Buku but can't see a spot for him.

So looks like Sanders is already pretty fit and might be physically ready to play in his first year.

That puts more heat on Westie and Garcia to step up for precious on-ball time.

But those freakin wings are still a mess, and pretty much open for anyone who feels like being decent.

Big doubts about Poulter. I’d like to be wrong, but hope to be wrong. Collingwood didn’t move him on so quickly for no reason. Still think Geelong wanted Bailey Smith to replace Issac Smith to play wing, could be a game breaking jet there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back