Game Day Western Bulldogs Vs Richmond R1 NAB Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Goals are probably a bad measure for someone who played predominantly back that entire period.

Thought he tried hard but was middle of the road at the start of last year myself.
You're putting the cart before the horse. He started the season playing forward, but was moved back because of indifferent form and as a learning exercise which paid off later in the year. FWIW I'm not at all concerned with his quiet game on the weekend, it is preseason and anything can happen. The main thing is to trial the new setups and gameplan on real opponents. And hopefully get through without injuries :oops:

You're putting the cart before the horse. He started the season playing forward, but was moved back because of indifferent form and as a learning exercise which paid off later in the year. FWIW I'm not at all concerned with his quiet game on the weekend, it is preseason and anything can happen. The main thing is to trial the new setups and gameplan on real opponents. And hopefully get through without injuries :oops:
I thought the move had more to do with the injury to Roughead than a couple of quiet games from a 19 year old.

I thought the move had more to do with the injury to Roughead than a couple of quiet games from a 19 year old.
Partly. As others have already said, the response to Roughy's injury should have been to bring Talia in, but for whatever reason that didn't happen. The backline and VFL stint was still worth it for Stringer, even though he is a natural forward he said it was a good learning experience.

Edit: OK Talia was brought in for 3 games (R5-R7) then not seen again, although I don't recall him playing badly? Anyone remember?

Last edited:
I would take him over Dawes to, I was very relieved the day Melbourne got him

I think Redpath will get less attention then Boyd, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him probably get that many goals
Melbourne are paying Dawes 550k a year boys, I think you should put into your calculations re Redath, Redpath is coating us peanuts.
My calculations make Redpath cheaper than Tom Boyd LOL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No mention at all on the coverage, not a hint.....

I just got through the replay for the first time and for shits and giggles I made a note of the number of times Derwayne and Co mentioned the alleged disparity between the two sides and by my reckoning the count came to 15! The way they were carrying on, the Tigers were playing the defending Premiers not statistically one of the youngest, least experienced teams in the competition, even if we had the Tigers covered for experience on the day. In their desperation to tell a 'story' that fit their broadcast, the gormless imbeciles just glossed straight over their own conversation from the start of the broadcast that noted that we had just lost 900 odd games of senior experience.

Of the multitude of things that annoy me about DerWayne, its his ceaseless ability to bang a drum ad infinitum. He does it every single game he yells. and it nearly always takes me out of the game and out of the room.

If the Tigers didn't miss a shot we would have won by 2.

If we didn't miss a shot we would have won by 107.

The scoreboard didn't reflect the game very well.

But remember they were missing their best 15 players, I'm not sure you're remembering this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm shocked and appalled. I thought they were playing their best 22. Then again I don't rate Cotchin, Rance, Conca, Martin and Reiwoldt. Just thought Hardwick had come to his senses.

Someone suggesting Richmond were tanking?

Hey guys, I just heard from a mate that Richmond weren't playing a full strength side. Anybody else hear anything similar?

If the Tigers didn't miss a shot we would have won by 2.

If we didn't miss a shot we would have won by 107.

The scoreboard didn't reflect the game very well.

I kind of liked their style of play though...
Maybe anyone looks good playing the fast break however.

Can anyone confirm or deny Richmond had 32 top-line players missing?
Using the career games total for players and also the %TOG for each of player, we had almost exactly twice as much experience on the ground on the field as Richmond.

Which led to us having twice as many scoring shots. They were far more accurate with their scoring shots than we were though, hence the relative closeness of the final scores.

What di we think of Boyd's performance in the back pocket?
Personally thought he was pretty good. Had a 'handball first' mentality, was defensively accountable, he intercepted well and generated space for himself more successfully than in the past, which in turn hid his skills somewhat. I do have two issues though: what happens when the intensity/pressure increases in real games, and what happens when those around him (those he should be hand balling to) drop off or don't work hard enough. In both of those situations I think his weaknesses will be more evident than they were on the weekend.

That said though, overall I was pleasantly surprised.

Don't think we will have that problem this year, I like others was skeptical of big red but he certainly has a place, think he could kick 20 - 30 from CHF this year.
I'd take him over someone like Dawes right now and melbourne had to give up big for Dawes so I'm happy we kept big red on.

Lets be real, Redpath is still extremely unproven. Dawes may not be great shakes, but he's a proven performer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back