Remove this Banner Ad

Nomad12

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
OKC
Would you rather have a 10+ year career and be a average player who is always best 22 but never a star or very highly rated by the public, Or..

Have a 5 year career of being a dead set star from your debut but not having the durability or maybe discipline to sustain a longer career.

Random question I know but just interested on peoples opinions.. Im not sure id probably go the average career but it would get frustrating not getting any credit for being a factor in your team winning but as the star you would have that empty feeling of what couldve been. Though would still be proud of how good you were for that short period and it could be pretty fun being a young AFL star.

Depends which one comes with a premiership
Niether or both.. team success not included. This thread is going off boiii clearly such a good question noone can decide haha or more likely noone gives a s**t.

Would you rather have a 10+ year career and be a average player who is always best 22 but never a star or very highly rated by the public, Or..

Have a 5 year career of being a dead set star from your debut but not having the durability or maybe discipline to sustain a longer career.

Random question I know but just interested on peoples opinions.. Im not sure id probably go the average career but it would get frustrating not getting any credit for being a factor in your team winning but as the star you would have that empty feeling of what couldve been. Though would still be proud of how good you were for that short period and it could be pretty fun being a young AFL star.
Sam Butler vs Neale Daniher?

Yeah I'd be very happy being a life club member such as Suban and Mackay. Finish up on 200 odd games but never really do much but get at least 300k for 8 years. I'd take that any day.

However I'd rather be someone like Harry Taylor whom is actually an intellectual player in terms of career after football so I am set up even better.

I'd 100% go for the short elite career ......... Several premierships, plenty of individual medals, plenty of great memories, and always fondly remembered by the fans.

As for not making much money, there's no worries. If you have a 5 year career as a superstar, you'd be set for life with a media career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the people who are voting for a long and average career, seem obsessed with wages and setting themselves up for life. What about creating a lasting legacy, of being remembered by history, of achieving great feats etc etc ? Are you really so shallow, that cash is all that matters?

You can still make money to pay the bills after you're retired. Geez, if you have even half a brain cell and are a former player, the TV companies will throw cash at you to give your views on the game.

Give me Joel Selwood's debut season, followed by Dustin Miller's 2017 season, plus maybe a couple of others to show it wasn't a fluke and provide legacy; and I'd gladly get an injury that ends my career (though not one that affects my normal life), then let me spend my days sitting in a chair next to Eddie McGuire and Sam Newman.

All the people who are voting for a long and average career, seem obsessed with wages and setting themselves up for life. What about creating a lasting legacy, of being remembered by history, of achieving great feats etc etc ? Are you really so shallow, that cash is all that matters?

You can still make money to pay the bills after you're retired. Geez, if you have even half a brain cell and are a former player, the TV companies will throw cash at you to give your views on the game.

Give me Joel Selwood's debut season, followed by Dustin Miller's 2017 season, plus maybe a couple of others to show it wasn't a fluke and provide legacy; and I'd gladly get an injury that ends my career (though not one that affects my normal life), then let me spend my days sitting in a chair next to Eddie McGuire and Sam Newman.
Money is all that matters in this world

Longer career if it means more money. Plus even average/unfancied AFL players have better lives than most average folks in society. Still a well paid profession, fame and status, healthy lifestyle (training, constant support around you etc).

If I'm looking at it in a Richmond sense, someone like Maric or Jake King is probably going to not be remembered as a superstar but their legacy as a clubman at the club and the cult fan status would still be something pretty special to have even if you don't have the individual accolades to go with it.

Back