what are the penalties for false starts? Michelle Jenneke tribute

Remove this Banner Ad

If she has a decent manager there wont be any false starts just some decent marketing contracts.

When I saw this via a link from Sports Illustrated on Friday night and put it in the Medal Prediction thread after someone said they wouldn't be unhappy if Pearson didn't win, saying they might have to wait for Jenneke to take over, the video had 1.2 million hits. Its now at 7.69 million hits. No false starts there.

If she has a decent manager there wont be any false starts just some decent marketing contracts.

Check out Darya Klishina - Russian long jumper. About as good a Junior as Jenneke - I think she's 22-23 now. A bit of a stunner. Already has a massive Nike contract, and is paid appearance money to appear at European meets. You can look at her You Tubes yourself - there's a million - some of them actually show her long jumping - but most are fashion shoots.

She didn't make the Russion olympic team for London. She will still make more money than every other female Russian athlete except for Isanbeyeva.

It's the way women athletes are treated these days. Nobody objects to a bit of admiration of the opposite sex - but that seems to be 99% of the focus for female athletes.

Wallaby I am aware of Darya Klishina as she jumped over 7 metres as a junior in 2010 and again just before last years World Champs and made the final at Daegu but finished 7th as she only jumped 6.50ish. Not bad given only about half a dozen jumps per year break 7 metres since the naughties in the womens events. She's 21.

I thought she was attractive but not stunning say like Heike Drechsler was, so as suggested I did a google seach and yeah is very attractive and is everywhere. I guess Isanbeyeva has the profile to most of us here in Oz. Yelena also has great eyes and knows how to play up for the camera.

I think that the girls these days are told to glam it up to make a $$ and if you have an aggresive manager and shoe/clothing/media company sponsors they regularly push that angle. Its a bit sad but that seems to be the way to attract men to watch women's sports.

Blokes in big numbers watch sport on TV week in week out. Women tend to watch events in big numbers, the Olympics, footy finals, world championships, grand slam tennis etc rather than week in week out. So when you have men and women events in the same sport, the sex/attractiveness angle is the one used to attract the blokes.

That's why I have never understood why netball has never taken off on TV in Oz. To me the Trans Tasman comp is still developing not dominating. They don't have any competition from a male netball competion, say like basketball and soccer does. They have massive participation numbers, but have not been able to convert that to female eyeballs who then drag in the blokes to watch as well. Netball is a good TV sport. The board of netball Australia really needed to appoint a couple of TV industry / media industry heavy weights like Harold Mitchell, on to their board about 25 years ago and work out the right strategy to get a national comp on TV. They had to target the women and girls who played to go from watching events to watching sport week in week out, especially as probably 50% of girls/women have played the game.

After watching the raw footage of the race it's clear to me that she was deliberately 'dancing' when the camera was on her. Looks to be part of some master plan.

No doubt she'll be in the social pages of the tabloids within 12 months.

dancer.gif

She looks far better as an athlete (stunning) than as a model. Far more natural, having fun, cool chick. SI managed to turn her into just another bland bikini model.

Oh, well, I guess the Today programs will be fighting over her for her Australian TV launch. I'm not going to blame her for taking the money while it's being thrown at her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back