What are you listening to now - No. 8 🎵🎻🎶🎼🎸

Remove this Banner Ad

I love this album. I’ve still got it collecting dust in the wardrobe. I was inspired by the Jethro Tull clip, was listening to a few JT songs and I stumbled onto it. The album title sums up how I feel. However when I hear Jon Anderson singing, Steve Howe’s guitar, Rick Wakeman on keyboards, Chris Squire on bass and, I think, Bill Bruford on drums it lifts my spirit.

Last edited:
Gaslight, Archie and Jughead’s, Batman Records and others in the City of Melbourne were great places to visit while looking for LPs. The creaking floors, the slightly musty smells and my personal favourite. I think his name was Jeffy and he worked at Batman Records. He was a walking encyclopaedia on music and was great to chat to if you wanted an anecdote about the artist. I also loved him parking his Harley-Davidson out the front of the Elizabeth Street store and wearing the different outfits of the San Francisco PD. It was the 80s and that was pretty radical for the time. I’m pretty sure it happened but it is a long time ago.

I‘m getting excited about ‘Get Back‘ coming out next month. The trailers look great. Not the crappy looking stuff you get off the internet but genuine s**t hot quality HD. They all look so young. They were. Amazing to think of what they created given their youth.

Anyway at this time…

I understand John pinched this from Chuck Berry. Even pinched a lyric. Cheeky bugger. The song is available ‘You can’t catch me’. I can‘t hear it melodically but Lennon definitely pinched ‘Here come old flat top’.

Last edited:
Batman did 2nd hand LPs as well from memory.

Gaslight was king, they always had first release albums as imports & it was a hoot thumbing through albums as a Noel Crombie or Stephen Cummings are standing next to you doing the same thing.👍

There was a small place, Gaumont bookshop (just behind the old Southern Cross) that sold some really obscure lps too.

Wanna see Get Back, but trying to avoid all the pre press. Macca has gone out very early, which is a bit unfair.

Down Memory Lane

I was wracking my brain concerning the name of a record store in McKillop Street in the city (near McEwans in Bourke Street) which was a little high brow because it had swathes of classical, jazz and world music recordings. It was the place where the floors creaked. It was called Discurio. I was mainly a Batman Record’s man because you could rent records from its extensive library.;)

Last edited:
Down Memory Lane

Spent many an hour in there. Dreaming of what I could buy. Calendars were always fun for the dunny door in the share house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Down Memory Lane

True story Robbo.

Gaslight had a promotional 'nude day' back in 94' - it was on a Sunday - basically you just had to head in, strip off, and walk around the store for a while naked. You then got a $25 voucher, which was pretty much the cost of a CD back in those days.

Anyway, it was also back in the days when I was a pro athlete - I'd just finished Sunday morning squad training at Olympic Park, and decided I'd pop into Gaslight on my way home to get a free CD. So I've parked the car in Bourke St, headed into the store, got the kit off, and bob's your uncle. Next thing you know, there was a photographer come over and ask if they could take some snaps of me for their review. Back then I had a pretty good rig being an athlete, so was more than happy for them to take some photos, but only from the rear cos I also had a fairly responsible job - no face shots. Never saw any of the photos in any journo's or anything later on, so never thought any more of it.

So later on that year I put the back pack on and headed O/S to Europe, the States and ended up in Canada....had a few friends in Vancouver that I ended up staying with. They used to get the paper delivered (pre internet days), and one particular day there it was, an article something along the lines of..."Aussie Record Shop Goes Nude"...together with the photo of my butt taken inside the store...in a Canadian newspaper!!!

I remember the CD I got that day as well....Died Pretty's Doughboy Hollow...great album....or in my case al-bum 🤣

True story Robbo.

Gaslight had a promotional 'nude day' back in 94' - it was on a Sunday - basically you just had to head in, strip off, and walk around the store for a while naked. You then got a $25 voucher, which was pretty much the cost of a CD back in those days.

Anyway, it was also back in the days when I was a pro athlete - I'd just finished Sunday morning squad training at Olympic Park, and decided I'd pop into Gaslight on my way home to get a free CD. So I've parked the car in Bourke St, headed into the store, got the kit off, and bob's your uncle. Next thing you know, there was a photographer come over and ask if they could take some snaps of me for their review. Back then I had a pretty good rig being an athlete, so was more than happy for them to take some photos, but only from the rear cos I also had a fairly responsible job - no face shots. Never saw any of the photos in any journo's or anything later on, so never thought any more of it.

So later on that year I put the back pack on and headed O/S to Europe, the States and ended up in Canada....had a few friends in Vancouver that I ended up staying with. They used to get the paper delivered (pre internet days), and one particular day there it was, an article something along the lines of..."Aussie Record Shop Goes Nude"...together with the photo of my butt taken inside the store...in a Canadian newspaper!!!

I remember the CD I got that day as well....Died Pretty's Doughboy Hollow...great album....or in my case al-bum 🤣

Thanks for sharing this it’s put a smile on my face and Mrs Robbo is curious. Did you keep a copy of the paper?

Gaslight, Archie and Jughead’s, Batman Records and others in the City of Melbourne were great places to visit while looking for LPs. The creaking floors, the slightly musty smells and my personal favourite. I think his name was Jeffy and he worked at Batman Records. He was a walking encyclopaedia on music and was great to chat to if you wanted an anecdote about the artist. I also loved him parking his Harley-Davidson out the front of the Elizabeth Street store and wearing the different outfits of the San Francisco PD. It was the 80s and that was pretty radical for the time. I’m pretty sure it happened but it is a long time ago.

I‘m getting excited about ‘Get Back‘ coming out next month. The trailers look great. Not the crappy looking stuff you get off the internet but genuine sh*t hot quality HD. They all look so young. They were. Amazing to think of what they created given their youth.

Anyway at this time…

I understand John pinched this from Chuck Berry. Even pinched a lyric. Cheeky bugger. The song is available ‘You can’t catch me’. I can‘t hear it melodically but Lennon definitely pinched ‘Here come old flat top’.

Thanks for that. Beatles covers are fraught with danger. Jim Jones Revue certainly do an energetic version of ‘Get Back’. When I thought about JJRs version I thought about this energetic effort from Macca. Hope you enjoy it(I apologise for the ad if there is one).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back