What are you listening to now - No. 8 🎵🎻🎶🎼🎸

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for that. Beatles covers are fraught with danger. Jim Jones Revue certainly do an energetic version of ‘Get Back’. When I thought about JJRs version I thought about this energetic effort from Macca. Hope you enjoy it(I apologise for the ad if there is one).

This one rocks Robbo. Beatles and Dylan were the GOAT. Beatles had a huge spectrum, and when Dylan was good, he was sublime. But he could also be dreadful (IMO) I'm an old cooter also, late 70's - early 80's was the beginning of my downfall.(but it's been a fun adventure). I'm a big roots reggae fan, and have stumbled across this Sly & Robbie rythmed Dylan set. ( also seen them at Brisbane's Raggamuffin Festival)

Warren had some unusual takes on topics for popular music.

Pretty much the entirety of Excitable Boy is just awesome songwriting. I maintain that inside the best 10 lyrics ever written is from Desperadoes under the Eaves, and it's this one:

And if California slides into the ocean,
Like the mystics and statistics say it will,
I predict this motel will be standing
Until I pay my bill.

No song so accurately describes the sensation of being hungover and trying to drink yourself back to being drunk.

I was watching a repeat of Spicks and Specks tonight and Mike Rudd was one of the guests. I am a huge fan of his bands like Spectrum, The Indelible Murtceps and Ariel. Another one of those Kiwis we pinched and claim as our own. I bought this album when I was 15 but I didn’t get the joke until years later. We had a couple of places in Glenroy where you could buy records. Muirs in Pascoe Vale Rd was where I purchased the album entitled ‘warts up your nose’. I actually walked into the shop and asked the girl behind the counter this question. “Have you got warts up your nose?”o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dug out a 70s album by The Dingoes and had a listen, been a while... songs still sound great.

You’ve been looking through my record collection.

When I hear this I then think about this one by another great Australian band.

This made me think of Andy Durant who passed away at 25. We were tragically denied his talent but still have some great songs.

I was watching a repeat of Spicks and Specks tonight and Mike Rudd was one of the guests. I am a huge fan of his bands like Spectrum, The Indelible Murtceps and Ariel. Another one of those Kiwis we pinched and claim as our own. I bought this album when I was 15 but I didn’t get the joke until years later. We had a couple of places in Glenroy where you could buy records. Muirs in Pascoe Vale Rd was where I purchased the album entitled ‘warts up your nose’. I actually walked into the shop and asked the girl behind the counter this question. “Have you got warts up your nose?”o_O

They were wonderful. I don't know how many times I went to see them, maybe a 100 times. I have every one of their albums and they are worth a pretty penny now. Esmeralda was my favourite off that album. Their last concert at Dallas Books Hall resulted in "Terminal Buzz,"one of the greatest Live Australian albums. 60's and 70's for me.

Last edited:
I saw Machine Gun Fellatio twice. Absolutely unbelievable the first time I saw them, and not far off the next time. I had no idea what they were about. Christa Hughes was the daughter of an Australian Jazz great. She could really sing and was the biggest exhibitionist you could imagine. Think Chrissy Amphlett times 10. You can imagine my surprise when she bounded on stage without any clothes and performed a song mid way through the set. After Machine Gun Fellatio she had a solo career including a stint as the ringmaster for Circus Oz.
Here a a couple of her numbers.

This is an interview. If you think her onstage personality might be a front, pay close attention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back