Competition "What If" Wednesdays - Time Traveller Sneezes Edition: Week 7 - Port Adelaide crows join the AFL - 1991

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to ...
wiw-ttse.png

Marty McFly has done himself a mischief and has altered the course of Aussie footy in ways you can't imagine!
Get ready to dive into alternate futures!

What is “What If” Wednesdays?
"What if" Wednesdays was a competition comprised of real-life football team proposals, merger propositions, former teams and a few hypotheticals brought to life by the FJGD community (eg. If the Melbourne-Hawthorn merger went ahead, if University/Fitzroy/Bris Bears stuck around, if Gold Coasts nickname were the Lifesavers etc.) it became this boards longest running competition (8/9/14 – 29/5/19). It has been revived under a meme cultured spin-off! Time traveller sneezes memes are all about butterfly effects on various things caused by a time traveller altering the past by means of a simple sneeze.

What’s new this time around?
This time or these times around, we will be flung into various timelines where our universes former teams, mergers, relocation proposals never existed or had its outcome altered slightly or severely! The list below is comprised of alternate timelines and the butterfly effect caused by our cheeky time traveller. Your job is to envision this outcome! Each comp will run for 1 week and the poll will run for 3 days. The winner picks the next team from the list below or can use their one-time self-imposed idea where they put forward an idea not listed below.

There are some routes you can go by if you're stuck:
  • The chosen team has entered their designated competition in the current year (unless specified) along with the current teams OR
  • You may design kits at any point in time unless strictly specified OR
  • Accompany your kits with a backstory on how the team came to be to help better envision the outcome
Bare minimum for an entry is:
  • A home kit with the front of the jumper showing
    (Back, shorts, socks are optional)
  • OPTIONAL Away kit (Home with white shorts is acceptable)
  • OPTIONAL 3rd kit
    • Clash kit
    • Heritage kit
    • Other kit
  • OPTIONAL Club Logo (Highly Encouraged!)

Let’s see what has happened this time
What-If-TTSE-Title-Week-7.png
Our Timeline: Adelaide Crows enter the AFL in 1991
Altered Timeline: Port Adelaide enter the AFL in 1991 as the Crows

Basic Rules (Read Carefully):
  1. Kits and Logo must be in 1 picture (Makes polls easier to fit everything in)
  2. The kits can consist of just a Jumper (Shorts and socks are encouraged to give a full identity effect)
  3. Minimum 1 kit and there's no limit to how many kits you can include after that
    eg. Home and Away and/or Clash and/or Heritage and/or Others
    1. Designing a Home and away/clash kit is highly encouraged for that authentic feel and to develop that alternate universe experience
  4. Attempt to stay close to the altered timeline
  5. Directly copying current football team kits/logos are not allowed
  6. Creating a logo is encouraged but you may take inspiration from and/or alter any existing sports logo to drive home your design.
  7. Maximum 2 entries per person
  8. Any questions at all, please ask!
Specific Category Rules:

New Teams Rule:

1. There are no restrictions. Well, the only thing I ask is there be no recolours of currently existing kits involving the team (where applicable)
    1. Variants are allowed
Alternate timeline categories
Bold - Completed with poll results

Mergers
Relocations
  • Saints relocate to NZ
  • Essendon relocates to NT to become Alice Springs
  • Hawthorn relocates to Canberra
  • Fitzroy relocates to Canberra
  • Fitzroy move to Brisbane in the 80s (Prior to the Bears existing)
  • South Melbourne relocate to Tasmania
  • South Melbourne relocate to Canberra
  • Fitzroy complete move to North Sydney - 1980
  • Footscray relocate to Queensland - 1981
League transfers
  • West Coast Eagles enter the SANFL
  • Brisbane Bears enter the SANFL
  • Fitzroy to the SANFL - 1981
  • Footscray to the SANFL - 1981
  • Adelaide Uni to the SANFL - 1991 (cannot use only black and white)
  • Collingwood to the SANFL - 1997
  • East Perth to the VFL - 1980
  • Norwood accepted as the 2nd SA team in the AFL
  • Launceston apply for the AFL
  • Essendon apply for the WAFL
New Teams
  • Port Adelaide crows join the AFL - 1991
  • Papua New Guinea enter the AFL
  • Mount Gambier join the SANFL
  • Limestone Coast join the SANFL
  • Sydney enter as a separate team (Bloods stay in Vic)
  • Darwin join the AFL - 1991
  • Public Service Football Club join the VFL
  • Gold Coast fold, new North Queensland team take their place - 2030
  • NZ enter 90's State of Origin
  • Broome become the 2nd WA AFL team
  • Gold Coast hijack Brisbane Bears AFL entry - 1986
Colour Corner
  • West Coast Eagles VFL kits altered due to Williamstown sharing the same colours
  • GWS keep their 'Team GWS' colours
  • Port Adelaide retain their Magenta
  • Adelaide's hurried concept
    (Adelaide board hastily attain clothes from local sport store and use the 5 colours to design their new AFL team)
Specials

What-if-wednesdays-time-traveller-sneezes-Honour-Roll-Week-7.png

Home (5).png
It was the year 1991, 3 years prior the Adelaide Sharks had entered the newly renamed AFL and had immediate success having a 3 peat, so Port Adelaide approached the SANFL and said they wanted to bring another side to the AFL, the SANFL was interested, the AFL was keen but both leagues didn't just want port adelaide after negotiations it was decided that Norwood and Port Adelaide would join forces to form a new a second AFL side with the port adelaide name and having the Norwood colours, A black navy was decided as the main color accompanied by red and yellow was added for state colors and the state name of crows was set, they had many iterations of hoops but in 2013 they reverted back to their original two hoops but adding the returning classic crow along with the port monogram, since joining the AFL port have won 4 premierships, both Norwood and ports sanfl teams have also stayed successful staying separate but with support from their AFL side

Last edited:

3d1KEbm.jpeg

After nearly 10 years of infighting, the VFL and SANFL finalise the first South Australian Licence in a newly renamed AFL, after many deliberations and discussions about an SANFL composite side joining the AFL an eleventh-hour push by the most successful top-level team in Australian football history, and 27-time premiers including a reigning three-peat, Port Adelaide Magpies bring a lucrative offer to the table. Victorian football bosses were put in a difficult position, but deciding to honour history and success as they believed Port Adelaide was a bigger club than an Adelaide composite team would ever be.

To join the AFL Port Adelaide needed to change their moniker, due to the successful and reigning premiers, Collingwood. the PA board agreed on the nickname the "Crows" due to the nickname given to all South Australians, in the hope of garnering more support from the wider SA football audience. The club was also not allowed to wear the current version of their famous "Wharf Pylons" Guernsey which they had won over 20 premierships wearing, in away games in Victoria, so another colour had to be found. Originally the crows would have worn a hooped Guernsey inspired by the state colours of Red, Blue, and Gold, but it was thought that this would end up increasing hatred for the club even more. Instead, they decided on a Grey version of the Wharf Pylon Guernsey.

Due to an increase in TV money in the AFL Port Adelaide was able to poach some of the best players in the SANFL, resulting in a top 6 finish in their first season and 3 AFL Premierships during the 1990s. Due to the wide hatred for the club from Norwood, Sturt, South Adelaide, and Glenelg fans, the SANFL continued without its most successful club until a second Adelaide team was admitted into the AFL in 1999.

View attachment 1903831
It was the year 1991, 3 years prior the Adelaide Sharks had entered the newly renamed AFL and had immediate success having a 3 peat, so Port Adelaide approached the SANFL and said they wanted to bring another side to the AFL, the SANFL was interested, the AFL was keen but both leagues didn't just want port adelaide after negotiations it was decided that Norwood and Port Adelaide would join forces to form a new a second AFL side with the port adelaide name and having the Norwood colours, A black navy was decided as the main color accompanied by red and yellow was added for state colors and the state name of crows was set, they had many iterations of hoops but in 2013 they reverted back to their original two hoops but adding the returning classic crow along with the port monogram, since joining the AFL port have won 4 premierships, both Norwood and ports sanfl teams have also stayed successful staying separate but with support from their AFL side
A Norwood and Port Adelaide merger would have made a rift through space and time, fire would have been spewing out of north terrace. I like it.

This was the vibe I was gonna go for, the bars but more akin to the colour of a crow than a magpie. I’m assuming the assumption from most entries is this is just Port getting the first SA license and as such they choose a more general nickname upon entry because Collingwood.

Specific Category Rules:

New Teams Rule:

1. There are no restrictions. Well, the only thing I ask is there be no recolours of currently existing kits involving the team (where applicable)
    1. Variants are allowed
3d1KEbm.jpeg

After nearly 10 years of infighting, the VFL and SANFL finalise the first South Australian Licence in a newly renamed AFL, after many deliberations and discussions about an SANFL composite side joining the AFL an eleventh-hour push by the most successful top-level team in Australian football history, and 27-time premiers including a reigning three-peat, Port Adelaide Magpies bring a lucrative offer to the table. Victorian football bosses were put in a difficult position, but deciding to honour history and success as they believed Port Adelaide was a bigger club than an Adelaide composite team would ever be.

To join the AFL Port Adelaide needed to change their moniker, due to the successful and reigning premiers, Collingwood. the PA board agreed on the nickname the "Crows" due to the nickname given to all South Australians, in the hope of garnering more support from the wider SA football audience. The club was also not allowed to wear the current version of their famous "Wharf Pylons" Guernsey which they had won over 20 premierships wearing, in away games in Victoria, so another colour had to be found. Originally the crows would have worn a hooped Guernsey inspired by the state colours of Red, Blue, and Gold, but it was thought that this would end up increasing hatred for the club even more. Instead, they decided on a Grey version of the Wharf Pylon Guernsey.

Due to an increase in TV money in the AFL Port Adelaide was able to poach some of the best players in the SANFL, resulting in a top 6 finish in their first season and 3 AFL Premierships during the 1990s. Due to the wide hatred for the club from Norwood, Sturt, South Adelaide, and Glenelg fans, the SANFL continued without its most successful club until a second Adelaide team was admitted into the AFL in 1999.
I put in this rule above specifically for the "New Teams" category to allow more creativity but it seems this recolour route is popular for the current task so I'll allow it. I remember in the early days of the original WIW, I was pretty anal about rules and disqualified a potential week winner (search Freo Hammers) but I'm passed it so I say go nuts!

WIW-TTSE---Port-Adelaide-Crows.png
It's 1990 and South Australia wants in on the recently rebranded national competition, the AFL. The SANFL had plans to submit a new franchise instead of having one of their clubs switch leagues. Years prior after sussing various options, they found that Port Adelaide were the stronger recipient than the originally planned team to encompass the state of SA. The SANFL hesitantly gave the green light for Port Adelaide to enter the AFL under a few conditions, one being their Magpie nickname would be changed to the Crows and to include the states colours alongside their traditional Black and White. Ports board got to designing a bold new jumper to represent their area and to get the state on board. The famous black diamond corner was chosen to keep the Port Adelaide link and 3 of the zigzags contained the SA state colours. As the seasons went on, the jumper went through a few slight changes.

Ps. This looked way better in my head, looks like a failed merger idea :sweatsmile:

I put in this rule above specifically for the "New Teams" category to allow more creativity but it seems this recolour route is popular for the current task so I'll allow it. I remember in the early days of the original WIW, I was pretty anal about rules and disqualified a potential week winner (search Freo Hammers) but I'm passed it so I say go nuts!
You know what, fair.

I actually like this design better any way, a bit more unique for the challenge.

FULL.png

View attachment 1904402
It's 1990 and South Australia wants in on the recently rebranded national competition, the AFL. The SANFL had plans to submit a new franchise instead of having one of their clubs switch leagues. Years prior after sussing various options, they found that Port Adelaide were the stronger recipient than the originally planned team to encompass the state of SA. The SANFL hesitantly gave the green light for Port Adelaide to enter the AFL under a few conditions, one being their Magpie nickname would be changed to the Crows and to include the states colours alongside their traditional Black and White. Ports board got to designing a bold new jumper to represent their area and to get the state on board. The famous black diamond corner was chosen to keep the Port Adelaide link and 3 of the zigzags contained the SA state colours. As the seasons went on, the jumper went through a few slight changes.

Ps. This looked way better in my head, looks like a failed merger idea :sweatsmile:
I was thinking about doing something like this (if I could bring myself to create a PA Crows team)

Ah right, my bad. I Imagined this as Port leaving the SANFL and instead playing in the AFL instead of being seen as a whole new team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Crows.png
Port Adelaide made the move to the AFL in 1991 after the submission for a state-wide composite team fell though at a fractured SANFL house. The colour white and the nickname Magpies were both traded out, in part to avoid conflict with Collingwood branding but also in the hope of uniting support from all South Australians. To appease the Port fanbase, the prison bars identity was retained, and re-shaped into the wings of a crow in state colours red and gold. A little bit too uber-Deutsch? Well, the city was named after Queen Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen after all...

View attachment 1905363
Port Adelaide made the move to the AFL in 1991 after the submission for a state-wide composite team fell though at a fractured SANFL house. The colour white and the nickname Magpies were both traded out, in part to avoid conflict with Collingwood branding but also in the hope of uniting support from all South Australians. To appease the Port fanbase, the prison bars identity was retained, and re-shaped into the wings of a crow in state colours red and gold. A little bit too uber-Deutsch? Well, the city was named after Queen Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen after all...
I'm not sure how to put this delicately, but you've certainly risen to the occasion;)

View attachment 1905363
Well it was fun guys. Pack it up boys we're done here

As you might imagine, this is rather a nauseating concept for a Port supporter (!) so it's hard to give a like to anything but the traditional PB design. That being said, I'm enjoying all of the design concepts so far, so likes all around!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back