What is the deal with playing abroad?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Everyone knows the story. You play Super Rugby for one of the 5 Aussie teams and you might get picked for the Wallabies.

You play anywhere overseas and you will not. Whose rule is this? IRB? ARU? I'm pretty sure you can play rugby abroad as a Saffer and still gain selection for Boks, but the same doesn't apply to Wallabies and Blacks with Oz/NZ players.

Is it simply to keep the domestic rugby strong so it doesn't end up like the A-League, NBL etc. witht he constant threat of players leaving for more money and stronger competition elsewhere?

Yeah, that's the main reason. Also, I think it allows the players to be available for every test/A/rep game they get selected for, whereas if they were overseas, they'd be having to fall in-line with the test availability windows.

On a side note, historically speaking, they would rather the players played in the stronger Southern Hemisphere provincial system, rather than the European club system. Unfortunately, the lower value of the SAF Rand compared to the Euro/Pound, means that the European club salary is SO MUCH higher, South African players would be negligent to their families NOT to take the much much higher pay-packet. So it results in the Springboks having to pick some overseas based players.

Its an unfortunate trend that may continue into Aus/NZ rugby. I hope not, but I can't see it being stopped in the near future.

Is it simply to keep the domestic rugby strong so it doesn't end up like the A-League, NBL etc. witht he constant threat of players leaving for more money and stronger competition elsewhere?

Basically yes. But it may ultimately be a battle they'll lose (if the top players can eventually get 3 times as much elsewhere the lure of the test jersey might not be enough to keep players in Australia).

SANZAR are ultimately hoping to expand into bigger economies in Asia and the Americas to try and better compete with Europe. But that's a long battle and there's so much money flowing into French rugby at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back