When Myers has the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Here's a newsflash for YOU. Do your research before you make sweeping statements. He played all, that's right, ALL of his junior football as a midfielder, that's inside midfielder. I had kids at the same Junior club as Myers and I'm telling you once and for all he played midfield. Got it !!!
He only played State football for WA in defence where they saw the potential for him to run and carry the ball and kick over a line deep into the forward line. They had plenty of mids to choose from for the State sides and his value in those teams was off half back.

I get a real laugh at the way this poor kid polarises opinion so much. In the last few weeks he hasn't been brilliant, granted, but shit he's made a solid enough contribution. He's been in the top quarter of possessions each week so it shows he is at least getting to contests and having a crack.
Sure he stuffs up but I notice that when when one of the "favourites" makes a balls up it's o.k but with Myers he can't take a trick.
He either has to put on a Brownlow medal performance and if not he gets branded as shit.

I think he is slowly finding confidence and is now at least showing us something. Sure, lots of room for improvement but headed in the right direction. I've looked at some of the other Clubs boards and I can't believe just how judgemental this forum is of certain Essendon players, not just Myers. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion but for Christ sake make the criticisims balanced, and based on fact.

It's real easy being a critic from behind a computer when the majority of posters never played football at this level. When you played football (that's if you played football) did you play the perfect game every time. Did your Mommy and Daddy crap all over you if you dropped a mark or missed a target ?

In the end, what's in a number. 6, 66 or 666, who gives a toss. If in another couple of years and he hasn't come on like we would hope, then sure, move him on. But I would have to say that at the moment at least there is a glimpse of him finally turning it around.

P.S Heppell had 6 possessions on Friday night. Where's your post on him being shit and saying it was a wasted draft pick ???
Couldn't agree more.

Makes me feel a little bit good inside knowing that there are still people with a clue out there.

Thanks for that post.

Put it this perspective, if Myers is such a bad kick why do footballers kick so many behinds from set shots e.g David Hille missed a sitter on Friday night. Bad kicks are going to happen to everyone but a few of you seem to isolate Myers and I think its wrong, he also kicked one on his right the other night so he has the ability maybe just not the confidence just yet... How many did lucas/lloyd kick on their right?

Some guys who i think were/are worse kicks; Jobe, Joel Reynolds, Slatery, Ben Doolan, Michael Symons, Brad Ebert, Chris Masten, West coast Eagles current, Matthew Richardson, richmond tigers Past and present....even judd gets mocked for his disposal by Mike Sheahan???

Disagree. Slattery as an example from our own club, looks very comfortable down in defence and nine times out of ten makes the correct decision and delivers decently to the midfielders. When in the centre though, I see him often panick and rush a quick kick forward/or rush a handball to a teammate as there's considerably more opposition around the ball. It is partially true as guys like McVeigh and Zaharakis often find a teammate no matter where they play, but there are a few players that when playing in a position slightly unfamiliar; they deliver the footy below their best.

Oh no...really?...:confused::confused::confused:

Couldn't agree more.

Makes me feel a little bit good inside knowing that there are still people with a clue out there.

Thanks for that post.
Spot on.

Geez there are a few rubbish threads/posts floating around at the moment. Usually by the same lot, too.

Also, what's with the sudden "no right side" attacks? Half of our side are like that, and on Friday night, Myers actually perfected a right foot kick, right under pressure in defence, over a zone, to a team mate on the chest.

Also, I'm going to use this -------> :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Before HFF, or any other bozos decide to jump up and down because he's a #6 pick that hasn't dominated the competition yet.

Jesus, the crowd does get on his back after mistake No.1 don`t they ?
Slattery wasn't there on Friday night, so it could've just been that, but it's becoming apparent that Stanton is the #1 whipping boy, and Myers and Hooker are fast closing in.

Whether they won the contest, lost it, hit the target, missed it, or weren't even near the ball, those two were copping it from our dead beat supporters all night on Friday.

Spot on.

Geez there are a few rubbish threads/posts floating around at the moment. Usually by the same lot, too.

Also, what's with the sudden "no right side" attacks? Half of our side are like that, and on Friday night, Myers actually perfected a right foot kick, right under pressure in defence, over a zone, to a team mate on the chest.

Also, I'm going to use this -------> :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Before HFF, or any other bozos decide to jump up and down because he's a #6 pick that hasn't dominated the competition yet.

Pretty much what a forum is about, anyone allowed to have an opinion..

Fence sitting much? :rolleyes:

Try going out on a limb for a change, bru.

You don't need DE%, knowledge of somebody's junior career, to wait until somebody has played over 50 games, etc. Sometime you just watch the game and you can tell that a player is very very average, David Myers is one of those very very average players.

Slattery wasn't there on Friday night, so it could've just been that, but it's becoming apparent that Stanton is the #1 whipping boy, and Myers and Hooker are fast closing in.

Whether they won the contest, lost it, hit the target, missed it, or weren't even near the ball, those two were copping it from our dead beat supporters all night on Friday.

Correct on Stants, in the group I stand with there is always one or two of them, that when he stuffs it up I`ll always get the " Yep, there he goes, your mate Stanton" Drives me mental. Some supporters just wait for him to stuff it up, it must translate onto the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much what a forum is about, anyone allowed to have an opinion..

Fence sitting much? :rolleyes:

Try going out on a limb for a change, bru.
Of course everybod'ys entitled to an opinion, which is why I've stated mine in that this thread, along with the "top 8 guaranteed", and a few others, is pure horse manure.

I disagree with premise of both.

How is that fence sitting, champ? If anything it's going out on a limb.

Sorry, see: :rolleyes:

No it's because he has no right side. Yes Lloyd and Lucas were the same so it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing.

I could name hundreds of players who never use their opposite foot, you ever see Ablett, Swan, Montagna, Judd, Murphy, Watson, Pavlich, Bartel, Selwood, Chapman ect ect ect use their opposite foot?

It's a ****ing cop out!!

Of course everybod'ys entitled to an opinion, which is why I've stated mine in that this thread, along with the "top 8 guaranteed", and a few others, is pure horse manure.

I disagree with premise of both.

How is that fence sitting, champ? If anything it's going out on a limb.

Sorry, see: :rolleyes:

If you don't agree with something that's fine, but stop whinging about it. It's not 'horse manire' just because you don't agree. Many people do. Deal with the fact that this is an open forum - there's always going to be differences of opinion.

Aaaand again, I'm stating mine. To say we're guaranteed of making the finals is misguided.

Myers skews a few kicks, but he also nails a few his body work is above average. His drive from defence is valuable. He's played twenty games. He's playing as a key defender for the first time ever.

Inexperienced player?!?!?!? been on the list for 5 years. Shown absolutely nothing, plays in the position that he was drafted in.

Turns the ball over far too much.

Should not be playing Round 1.

Just to clarify with some facts instead of reading your inaccurate crap.

Myers is starting his 4th season with the club and I look forward to many more succesful years out of him.:)

You don't need DE%, knowledge of somebody's junior career, to wait until somebody has played over 50 games, etc. Sometime you just watch the game and you can tell that a player is very very average, David Myers is one of those very very average players.

Or your a very average observer of the game and your talents would never be resourced to a recruiting department, I mean are you kidding me, you cant find any positives from Myers game this year during the pre season??? The last 2 games I have been at the local pub watching with 2 Carlton and a 1 tiger mate, plus a few other supporters and everytime Myers broke a tackle in a contested situation they all turned to me to ask who that was. Not only were they impressed by him but they never said oh I didnt realise he was such a bad kick, there even thinking of putting him in there supercoach squads.

[/quote]Aaaand again, I'm stating mine. To say we're guaranteed of making the finals is misguided.

Myers skews a few kicks, but he also nails a few his body work is above average. His drive from defence is valuable. He's played twenty games. He's playing as a key defender for the first time ever. [/quote]

couldn't agree more with you Whomb, these characters are probably the same guys who would have berated wellman after his first season or Dean Wallis, how long did it take for Wallis to find his Niche, how valuable was he in the year 2000? or the 93 Grand final? Some players take time, Myers just needs to find his niche and develop, I belive the coaching department have found a great role for him, he just needs an injury free season or two.

People said Tom Harley and Maxwell were weak links in their sides before they became premiership captains.

Aaaand again, I'm stating mine. To say we're guaranteed of making the finals is misguided.

Myers skews a few kicks, but he also nails a few his body work is above average. His drive from defence is valuable. He's played twenty games. He's playing as a key defender for the first time ever.

Yep no worries, and thanks for having your say. My point is, the fact you think my opinion is misguided doesn't mean it actually is. You see what I'm saying?

Or your a very average observer of the game and your talents would never be resourced to a recruiting department, I mean are you kidding me, you cant find any positives from Myers game this year during the pre season??? The last 2 games I have been at the local pub watching with 2 Carlton and a 1 tiger mate, plus a few other supporters and everytime Myers broke a tackle in a contested situation they all turned to me to ask who that was. Not only were they impressed by him but they never said oh I didnt realise he was such a bad kick, there even thinking of putting him in there supercoach squads.

Of course he has positives, but he has a lot of negatives too. For every time he breaks a tackle there is a dropped mark, or a shanked kick. I hope he comes good, but I'm not confident.

Talent evaluation is such a personal thing and varies so much. I might go a bit OT here so I apologise.

Some fans simply trust that the club have made the right decision, while others may assume they have already stuffed up. Its always hillarious reading the post draft threads of each teams draft ratings, when in 99% of the time they have not actually seen the player in a single game. How strange is that, people make their judgements without any first hand knowledge.

It is still tough to assess a player once you see them play. I guess if everyone had this ability then being a recruiter would not be the occupation of just a select band of exceptionally talented footy people around the country.

At what point should you make an assessment on a player? Should you make the judgement on what you see or should you "show patience" and trust the club has made the right decision.

IMO I prefer reading the opinions that are just based on what they see as this takes away the hype factor. Sometimes you might go a bit early and look silly. Personally I thought Lucas was no good after his first year, mind you I think it was pretty clear after his 3rd year that he was a player. You will get bagged for going early with your opinion and backing what you see because you are "not supporting the club" but at least its your opinion.

These internet message forums are meant for opinion and its so boring and predictable when everyone just blindly supports the club instead stating their opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back