4. Labuschagne
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Paine
8. Pattinson
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazelwood

If Smith is unavailable, then bring Burns into the squad to open & Khawaja reverts back to #3.

Not against Starc playing either.
Might depend on the wicket ...? (Starc)
Mine:
1. Harris but might be 1. Burns
2. Khawaja 2. Harris
3. Smith 3. Khawaja
4. Labuschagne 4. Labuschagne (if Smith is out)
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Paine
8. Starc or Pattinson (wicket will determine)
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazelwood
However, they'll hang onto Warner until he makes runs or helps to lose a match. On the latter, he tried hard in the first Two. Fielding, terrible. Batting ... looks lost.

Here's Archer's actual reaction to felling Smith (as opposed to the social media Keyboard Warriors who've chosen to criticise him for daring to smile/laugh with Buttler shortly after Smith was injured:

"Archer was seen laughing with Jos Buttler as Smith received attention, which raised more than a few eyebrows and sent social media into meltdown. There is no suggestion his laughter had anything to do with the incident. "
Possibilities:
Buttler: "Great. Now I'm going to spend the rest of the series, ducking bouncers" OR
"Check out the ridiculous outfit Gatt's wearing" OR
"How's the missus and my kids, Jof?"
(OR anything equally harmless)
Archer: smiles/chuckles.

Archer, real quote:
“I just tried to get him rattled. I just wanted to get him out.”
just like our Aussie bowlers do. Same-same.

Congrats. You're right (at last!). You didn't. :thumbsu: :)
I didn't either.

What you did "mention" :rolleyes: was this: "Poor upbringing".
He was born in Barbados. He did not move to England until after his 18th Birthday.
It does not follow from that:
--- that he was poor
--- that his upbringing (parenting) was poor, financially or socially
--- that it's "to be expected" from that that he would behave badly re: Smith's injury.

They're your words, mate. You know what you intended.
Own them, and be ashamed of them, then move on.

As much fun as I am having, we're littering this thread (apologies, everyone; I was hoping he'd come around), and in reality it is sad sad sad that you do not understand what you wrote, or why it is bigoted.
I’m not sure responding in essays is going to change someone’s mind, particularly if their original stance was completely 180 degrees from yours. ;)

How about:
I’m not sure responding in essays is going to change someone’s mind, particularly if their original stance was completely 180 degrees from yours
ignorant, filled with assumptions about Barbados-born males and bigoted.
?? ;)
As for the "essays" jibe --- if he doesn't want to read them, he doesn't have to. "Ignore" is an option.
A clear and cogent argument takes time.
How about instead of poking fun at my "essays" you take umbrage at his bigotry and personal insults?

How about:

?? ;)
As for the "essays" jibe --- if he doesn't want to read them, he doesn't have to. "Ignore" is an option.
A clear and cogent argument takes time.
How about instead of poking fun at my "essays" you take umbrage at his bigotry and personal insults?

You're assuming and choosing to believe his comments were racist and bigoted.

You're also calling him out for his assumption on what Jofra Archer was laughing at, despite assuming yourself what they were laughing at - right down to fanciful quotes.

You're not following what I'm saying.

The next Ashes series in Australia Archer will get booed at all grounds, even though the incident happened a couple of years ago.

The debate will come up again - is it racist?

On one side - it's a fair enough reaction given the incident at Lords. Any player would be booed in similar circumstances, white or black.

On the other side - the booing is being done with extra venom, duration and intensity because Archer is black due to underlying racist tendencies of the Australian population.

Archer also plays for the Hurricanes in the BBL - I wonder if he'll get booed at matches outside of Tasmania this summer?

I don't understand why people are so up in arms, after the game Archer said

And England quick Archer, who clocked 96mph on Saturday, said: “To see him go down, everyone stopped and everyone's heart skipped a beat.
“Honestly, I don’t know what I was thinking at the time.
“Seeing someone go down, you don’t ever want to see anyone getting carried off on a stretcher, or you don’t want to see anyone missing the day or missing the game.
“Especially what happened a few years ago as well. It’s never a nice sight.
"After he got up he was moving around and you breathe a sigh of relief.
“It was a good challenge, a really good spell.
“But for me, I wouldn't like to see it end like that."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And England quick Archer, who clocked 96mph on Saturday, said: “To see him go down, everyone stopped and everyone's heart skipped a beat.
“Seeing someone go down, you don’t ever want to see anyone getting carried off on a stretcher, or you don’t want to see anyone missing the day or missing the game.
That’s fine if he showed that at the time, his actions seemed very different to his thoughts.

The more I think about it, the more I don’t want Smith playing in the 3rd Test. Too much risk of injury aggravation and if he’s not at 100%, then he’s likely to lose his wicket cheaply as he did recently.

Rather have a fully-committed and confident Steve Smith (maybe in 4th Test) than a half-committed one in the 3rd.

This is when cricket is at it's most compelling.

Gladiatorial.

Gets the blood boiling. Goodies. Villains.

I feel the team that gets carried away with a bouncer war will lose. Emotion can take over. The team that delivers the full, high skill stuff consistently will win.

This series has a real 2005 vibe to it. Hopefully we get some cliffhangers.

Ha - that’s was some media department led spin after the backlash - as was his pathetic, very clear and deliberately observable check on Labuschagne.

What really happened was this which was after he turned his back and walked straight back to his mark :
5C83C0B4-DA0B-4308-BD05-87575220ABAB.png

I was asleep when Labuschagne got out but it looks a bit dodgy from the replays. Anyone hear what the commentators were saying at the time?
I'm sure Root thought he caught it but I don't know how he could be so certain. It looked like plenty of grass to me. Third umpire's suggestion that it bounced off his fingers may be partly true but I don't know how he could be certain that there wasn't ground there too.

I've taken a few of those at training, practising slips catches - never in a match - and nobody ever lets you claim it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back