Delisted 41. Cameron Taheny (2020- 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

He still looks skinny. My arbitrary and uninformed yardstick is generally the size of the quads. Take below. Close looks maybe good enough for small forward or wing, Stephens tick, Cam for a medium forward has room for improvement View attachment 826618
His shorts look tighter than the other 2. May just be poorer imaging of him.

I don't think it's urgent, if he's not a 2020 prospect he can thrash it out in the vfl like Jarvis/Kennerley did
There are a number of AFL players who thrashed it out in the VFL in their first year or first few months of season one. Some kid by the name of Selwood comes to mind. We may not get a look at a number of kids in the pre-season games, but we will certainly see them in them VFL.
I must confess that I am not that interested in the mature recruits from other clubs.
I am interested in 1st and 2nd year kids like Kreuger, Clark, Jarvis, Kennerley, Tarca, Stephens, DeKoning, Schlensog, Evans, Taheny, Close. This is the future of the club. I hope that Jenkins and Stevens kill it, but my primary interest is in the kids recruited under 21 years old.

There are a number of AFL players who thrashed it out in the VFL in their first year or first few months of season one. Some kid by the name of Selwood comes to mind. We may not get a look at a number of kids in the pre-season games, but we will certainly see them in them VFL.
I must confess that I am not that interested in the mature recruits from other clubs.
I am interested in 1st and 2nd year kids like Kreuger, Clark, Jarvis, Kennerley, Tarca, Stephens, DeKoning, Schlensog, Evans, Taheny, Close. This is the future of the club. I hope that Jenkins and Stevens kill it, but my primary interest is in the kids recruited under 21 years old.
Selwood played 21 games out a possible 25 in 2007.
I have never associated Selwood with VFL games, but he must have missed 4 as you said.
How many of those 4 were in the VFL? That is the question. I thought it was none.

Last edited:

I have never associated Selwood with VFL games, but he must have missed the first 4 as you said.

You made me look it up as its not the way I remembered it. My memory is he only played 1/2 a game of VFL

In 2007 JS played from R1... he missed games in Rounds 4,10,11,21

You made me look it up as its not the way I remembered it. My memory is he only played 1/2 a game of VFL

In 2007 JS played from R1... he missed games in Rounds 4,10,11,21
That's my memory too. So he was "managed" perfectly. In fact, I would have guessed no VFL games at all, not having seen him in one. I think he was selected in an early one, but was brought into the senior team as a last minute selection. But it is 13 years ago!

Last edited:
I have never associated Selwood with VFL games, but he must have missed 4 as you said.
How many of those 4 were in the VFL? That is the question. I thought it was none.

You may very well be correct. I knew that he did not play every game and assumed that he played those games in the VFL.

That's my memory too. So he was "managed" perfectly. In fact, I would have guessed no VFL games at all, not having seen him in one. I think he was selected in an early one, but was brought into the senior team as a last minute selection. But it is 13 years ago!

Joel defiantly played a 1/2 a VFL game at one stage. I suspect it was in the 10,11 time period.

Joel defiantly played a 1/2 a VFL game at one stage. I suspect it was in the 10,11 time period.

OK. So he has played VFL.

Defiantly-showing open resistance or bold disobedience. If that was his attitude, no wonder he only got half a VFL game. I don't think he was dropped to the VFL after the NM game we lost in Geelong, before our run started, and that was pretty early in 2007.

This doesn't read overly well...

Source

Cats’ draft steal Cameron Taheny makes strong attitude shift

Geelong draft steal Cameron Taheny concedes criticism of his attitude was warranted as he continues to make improvements on his body language.

Toby Prime, Geelong Advertiser

February 26, 2020 12:00am

GEELONG draft steal Cameron Taheny concedes criticism of his attitude was warranted as he continues to make improvements on his body language.

The South Australian was considered one of the top prospects in last year’s draft pool but slid to pick No.50.

Taheny fired in the first four games of the SANFL season last year, kicking 15 goals for Norwood in those games to show why he was touted as a possible top-10 selection.

But injury and form went against the dangerous forward in the second half of the season, raising questions over his attitude.

“That was probably fair,” Taheny said of the criticism.

“That was probably an area of my game that I looked at towards the back end of the year.

“When things were going well, I was very lucky, I got a pretty decent run in my first few games at (SANFL) league level and then started to cop a little bit more attention than I normally would.

“I probably got a little bit unsettled and really didn’t know how to cope with it.

“I let my emotions get the better of me a bit in some games.

“(I’ve been) working, I guess, (on) how I show emotion out on the field — just things like not dropping your head, little things you probably don’t even know you’re doing but it gets noticed pretty easily.”

The dynamic left-footer is dangerous on the lead, possesses an excellent goal sense and demonstrated elite speed at the Draft Combine when he broke three seconds for the 20m sprint.

He said a professional environment had helped develop his game.

“A few of the recruiters knew (and) they probably picked up on those attitude things throughout the year,” he said.

“With the mentality we have here, you just want to keep getting better and you’re not going to get better if you make mistakes along the way.”

Taheny, who was named an emergency for Geelong’s Marsh Community Series clash on Saturday, said he had been working on developing a team focus and keeping his emotions in check.

“If I lose a one-on-one, instead of getting down on myself, I’d probably look to how I can get involved in the next contest, what I’m going to do, where I’m going to lay a tackle, where I’m going to lay a block — just the little one-percenters that keep you involved in the game so you’re not drifting in and out,” he said.

“(I) did a bit of work towards the back end of last year but I’m very confident I’ll be able to turn it around this year and put it all behind me.”

Source

Hopefully it’s a good thing....I’m not sure he would have slid to pick 50 otherwise. All draftees need to improve and attitude is perhaps one of the easiest in kids. Gets harder to change as they age. Ideally, he’s learnt his lesson and will end up being a steal. Wells clearly saw something as we did pick swaps (to our disadvantage) to get him! Thanks for the article, interesting read....was wondering why he slid.

Source
Lets be honest him cracking the shits and getting down in a game isn’t a big deal, coming to an afl club I’m sure 98% of draftees need a massive kick in the backside because of a range of different reasons.
The likes of J Selwood and I put B Smith in the same category who can walk into a team, always keep there head in the game are extremely rare
There’s bigger concerns than that, the 2 biggest forwards who are sooks are Richo who kicked 800 goals and J Riewoldt who is a star and would be past richo if he kept his head straight

Defiantly-showing open resistance or bold disobedience. If that was his attitude, no wonder he only got half a VFL game. I don't think he was dropped to the VFL after the NM game we lost in Geelong, before our run started, and that was pretty early in 2007.
Think he meant to write definitely ... ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He still looks skinny. My arbitrary and uninformed yardstick is generally the size of the quads. Take below. Close looks maybe good enough for small forward or wing, Stephens tick, Cam for a medium forward has room for improvement View attachment 826618
I think Taheny's frame lends itself to filling out. He is broad in the shoulder frame and a thick neck.

Stephens has a very long neck! I'm calling him VB from now on! lol

Taheny looked lively at times in the forward line. It was a difficult game to watch due to the blustery conditions.
Jarvis took some good marks. One very courageous.
No one really appeared to me to stand out. I think that the conditions had a lot to do with it.

Cam has been delisted. Not sure of Covid and lack of playing took him out or he just never got going.

Thought we'd done good getting him when we did

Best of luck to him

GO Caters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back