Game Day Work Hardery v WAFL Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just watched the whole Hinkley presser.
Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

Boomer energy, but where does the 'work hardery for longery' come from? Did Hinkers say this in a presser or something?

We’ll win this handsomely and then have to deal with a week of “where are the Ken haters now?” and “it’s obviously not a game plan issue it’s players being able to execute”…

A loss here would be it for him so please just put us all out of our misery and be shite one more time.

Things that have crossed my mind lately wrt PAFC:
  • are we the clubs worst enemies in terms of having expectations that are too high in a world that now gives everyone a participation prize
  • should we really be complaining about a coach that took us to the last two prelim finals, or are we just sooks
  • could Koch and Hinkley actually be right
  • have injuries decimated our playing group this year
  • have the people that have left been problematic and we are lucky they left: Schofield, Voss, Wingard, Howard, Ryder, Garner, Lienert, Ladhams
  • is teal really a wonderful colour that we should all be grateful for
  • is it possible that our players just don't work hard enough for long enough
  • is the earth flat and how does that affect our performance​

I could not have any lower expectations than I do right now.
I don't care if we win or lose.
I'll watch the game but its possible I'll take a nap once the result is obvious.
I'll laugh every time West Coast take an intercepting mark when a Port player under no pressure bombs it into F50
I'll cringe at every betting advertisement and each moronic comment by a VFL old boy

Unfortunately I wont be able to watch our SANFL game this week, I'll be at a 60th birthday BBQ, its a shame, I like watching those games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won't win the flag, Port, and I'll be surprised if they make finals.

But I expect them to finish the season strongly enough to provide themselves - and coach Ken Hinkley - a decent platform to launch from entering the 2023 season.

And it can start when they host West Coast at Adelaide Oval on Saturday afternoon

The Eagles have all sorts of problems so Port should win this game. I want to see Motlop have a huge game and Georgiades kick 6+ goals.

We’ll be 0-6 and all we’ll hear is that Sydney made finals from that point in 2017.

St Kilda beating us by 15 goals in Cairns next week though should be the knockout blow!
I hate to think how awful we'll need to play to lose this game. Perhaps a few Hinkley specials (goalless quarters and slow starts) could keep the Eagles in the game.

As much as I hate watching us play this year, I still find myself a little “excited” every game day.

Three things I’m looking for:
1) Rozee to have 25+ disposals and be energetic and effective in the midfield
2) Hayes to win clear taps to advantage and improve his around the ground work, especially in defence
3) One of Georgiades or Marshall to take this game by the scruff of the next and kick 4+ goals.

• are we the clubs worst enemies in terms of having expectations that are too high in a world that now gives everyone a participation prize
  • should we really be complaining about a coach that took us to the last two prelim finals, or are we just sooks
  • have the people that have left been problematic and we are lucky they left: Schofield, Voss, Wingard, Howard, Ryder, Garner, Lienert, Ladhams

I'll watch the game but its possible I'll take a nap once the result is obvious.
I'll laugh every time West Coast take an intercepting mark when a Port player under no pressure bombs it into F50
I'll cringe at every betting advertisement and each moronic comment by a VFL old boy

Unfortunately I wont be able to watch our SANFL game this week, I'll be at a 60th birthday BBQ, its a shame, I like watching those games.

I think, when all is said and done, the crux of the problem is the rest of the world viewing the club as a minnow pauper by default and performance — good and bad — never matching expectation.

So we’re generally never expected to do anything of note and when we do it’s considered a miracle beyond capability (2013-14, 2020), resulting in excess kudos being doled out to the perceived conjurers. That includes Koch being right there with a freshly-printed contract and pen.

When the perception shifts and we are expected to seriously challenge at the pointy-end and fail badly (2015, 2018, 2022), it’s a case of regressing to the mean: “ah, we were right after all. they did well to be up there previously with such little talent/prospects”, Hinkley is seen as an unlucky sympathetic figure, and the doom loop resets.

The `give everyone a participation prize' has in my opinion been a factor in why a lot of sport can be a bit on the lukewarm side today.

Not quite the same thing but I can still recall attending a game at Unley in the early 2,000's when Ivan Maric was playing for the Maggies and a Power draftee ( apologies to my pisano friends but I can't remember his name) was the ruck for the blue baggers.
Maric totally intimidated the Power bloke who was as soft as butter and appeared to me to be quite keen on avoiding any of the physical stuff.
When I got home from work on the Monday there was an email from the club which said amongst other comments that said Power ruckman had been given an `encouragement award! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Going by what I witnessed he should have been `encouraged' to contact Dr Barnard for a heart transplant.

I think, when all is said and done, the crux of the problem is the rest of the world viewing the club as a minnow pauper by default and performance — good and bad — never matching expectation.

So we’re generally never expected to do anything of note and when we do it’s considered a miracle beyond capability (2013-14, 2020), resulting in excess kudos being doled out to the perceived conjurers. That includes Koch being right there with a freshly-printed contract and pen.

When the perception shifts and we are expected to seriously challenge at the pointy-end and fail badly (2015, 2018, 2022), it’s a case of regressing to the mean: “ah, we were right after all. they did well to be up there previously with such little talent/prospects”, Hinkley is seen as an unlucky sympathetic figure, and the doom loop resets.
Liked for the term "doom loop" :D :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back