Worst Footy Ground you have been to

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers 1945 said:
Also, one of the "worst" that I have been on, would have to be the infamous gravel football oval at Queenstown.

I took plenty of pics of the place up there when I was there in mid-September, the facilities are rough, the ground is rough.
It's played by the local miners from Queenstown who play in the Darwin Football Association (North West Tasmania).
toughest players in Australia ...the queenstown footy oval is gravel not a blade of grass to be seen

by far and away the worst ground i have been to is North Hobart oval
the playing surface is just a quagmire from March onwards
the oval is so tiny they painted 40 metre lines on the mud because 50 metre lines would have met in the centre of the ground.
they have concrete terrace seating where the southernly winds whistle and chills you to the bone (and it's always windy)
the facilities are atrocious
there is absolutely no car parking
and this ground used to be Tasmania's (so called) major football venue
thank god for York Park !!

Curious to hear many SANFL fans slag Norwood Oval. I loved going there - it has great atmosphere, especially with a big crowd like the old days. I guess the smaller crowds these days take some of that away. I always found Richmond to be the biggest dump at SANFL level in the old days, but I understand it has been upgraded a fair bit since then.

I remember watching a game at Seaton Ramblers when I was young and thought it was pretty daggy.

Conversely, I watched an amateur game at Brunswick St Oval last year and it was fabulous.

Rednecknow said:
Might be because you copped an earful from the ferals mate.? Its all fair, in give and take verbals at Seaford from experience.

Never copped a earful from them but in a close game they are nuts. Would hate to umpire a game there.

Bomber Spirit said:
Gawley Park, the Southern Sharks ground, is another shocker in the SFA.
Even in the Sydney AFL Premier division, a lot of the grounds aren't great. When it rains they can turn into mudheaps, and when it doesn't they can turn into dustbowls. Gore Hill got so rock-hard and dusty that North Shore had to abandon it late last year and move the rest of their home games to Alan Davidson. Olds Park and Wagener Oval weren't much better.

I broke my arm at Gwawley in 1999. It had rained all week in Sydney and every game in the SFL/SFA got postponed except for our game there.

Greygums was a dustbowl..I remember playing there and watching guys run after the ball and the trail of dust coming from their feet...I thought it was a Western movie!

Bensons Lane is bad if the wind goes the wrong way and you play there early in the season...the fertiliser smell is fantastic!

tara said:
The facilities at Weldon are a disgrace but at least the surface isnt to bad. Gawley would have to be worse especially when they used to have to two big sand pits at either end making goal kicking impossible. At least now they put turf over the concete cricket pitches.

North Dalton (wollongong) impossible to play on with that bloody wind. Passed there to a team mate last year and the ball went back over my head
then kicking out late in the game I cleared the centre with the ball bouncing into the half fwd line.

Yep..the facilities are awful. They were talking of ripping up the surface during football season and having to play somewhere else but not sure what is happening about that. The problem is the cricketers have the run of the place which I'm sure you would be familiar with at Rosedale.

Macorna's "ground" in the KDFL was a disgrace. Near Kerang, it was in the middle of dairy farms, had no fence, apart from some treated pine poles on the ground to park up against. We had to shoo the cows off before the days play, it was almost always muddy, six inches deep. I say mud but that's not quite correct, as it was about 60% cow******** mixed in. Not sure if they were taking the ********, but instead of a siren, they would ring a cow bell for the end of the quarters.
As far as Melbourne grounds go, you would go a long way to find a worse ground than Aquinas in the Ammos, absolutely disgraceful, not a blade of grass when it's wet, and the size of a postage stamp, not to mention it runs downhill in one pocket.

hahaha said:
Too many years of council neglect!

But I agree it was shocking to play on.

Try training on it every week. The club did everything it could to get it right including have ex players on the super sopper for up to 20 hours a week to get it to a reasonable standard but that never happened.

The Maroondah City COuncil are a absolute disgrace when it comes to sporting facilities - they would rather spend money on footpaths then on sporting grounds.

Least the drains have been flushed out and the ground is actually looking very good at the moment. Plenty of green grass which is a huge imporvement on this time last season

Even though Unley Oval was my home ground, really wasnt a big fan, didnt mind Norwood Oval though, hated Nourlunga cause it was windy as, Eagles pitch was like concrete, scruffed the knees a few times there...

BERT said:
Never copped a earful from them but in a close game they are nuts. Would hate to umpire a game there.

Umpiring any game where the crowd is vocal would up the pressure i guess.

Seaford oval might be small and the locals do voice their views well, (all talk actually) but the place does have atmosphere, unlike many of the Mornington Peninsula grounds.

Blues_Man said:
by far and away the worst ground i have been to is North Hobart oval
Another aggrieved North Launceston supporter upset at being defeated at the ground so often in matches that meant something?

Blues-Man said:
the playing surface is just a quagmire from March onwards
the oval is so tiny they painted 40 metre lines on the mud because 50 metre lines would have met in the centre of the ground.
Wrong.

Blues_Man said:
they have concrete terrace seating where the southernly winds whistle and chills you to the bone (and it's always windy)
Concrete standing terraces, and wooden bench seating. Your dearly beloved York Park was flat and had no amphitheatre atmosphere unlike North Hobart.
It also held more spectators. Yes it is chillingly cold (the whole North Hobart area is). I take it you never went to West Park, Youngtown or Devonport then?

Blues_Man said:
the facilities are atrocious
They were better than York Park prior to its redevelopment.
More stands, bigger capacity, better viewing, better atmosphere, better visitors changerooms, better scoreboard, more admission gates, better corporate facilities.

Blues_Man said:
there is absolutely no car parking
In an area settled more than 150 years ago with narrow streets and back alleys, that will always pose problems, if you wanted to find a carparking spot, you would find one.

Blues-Man said:
and this ground used to be Tasmania's (so called) major football venue
The ground that set the top three attendance records in Tasmanian football you mean? The ground that was the Grand Final host for the most important league in the State from 1923-1999.
Remember when York Park was going to show the "Southerners how it's done" when they earned (or more to the point whinged incessantly) to gain the SWL 2000 Grand Final?
What was the crowd at that game? 6124 wasn't it?
Lowest TANFL/TFL/TSFL/SWL Grand Final attendance since 1934.
Fantastic!!

Blues_Man said:
thank god for York Park !!
Thankyou Jim!! Thankyou Johnny!!

GoHoppers said:
Sorry Rosco5 but you dont know what you're in for. A few years back the Broadford Ground, i think they call it Hammond Oval was an absolute disgrace. It couldnt handle water, it flooded near the cricket nets every year, and it stunk. Then in 2004 it resembled the Sahara desert, no grass, just sand, it's a wonder the HDFL even let matches be scheduled there.
GoHoppers, you keep outing me on these threads ..... the ground is actually being resurfaced, got a govt grant for water and works, looks pretty good at the moment with a 90% cooch coverage and to be oversown in next 7-10 days with a winter grass. Hopefully that will bring it up to scratch. It has been woeful in previous years but as another member said, some councils have a LOT of explaining to do when it comes to the state of some grounds.

FOR MY TWO BOB'S WORTH - Woodend is a hole, mud up to your armpits, Thornton was a hole only not quite as big, Lalor was up there with Woodend (and stunk the same too), Mansfield is tragically not up to GVL standard, Seymour was always a quagmire, BUT WOODEND IS THE WINNER !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wallan Football Ground followed by McPherson Park[Melton].Though Fawkner Park[Broadmeadows]isnt too flash .

Rosco5 said:
GoHoppers, you keep outing me on these threads ..... the ground is actually being resurfaced, got a govt grant for water and works, looks pretty good at the moment with a 90% cooch coverage and to be oversown in next 7-10 days with a winter grass. Hopefully that will bring it up to scratch. It has been woeful in previous years but as another member said, some councils have a LOT of explaining to do when it comes to the state of some grounds.

FOR MY TWO BOB'S WORTH - Woodend is a hole, mud up to your armpits, Thornton was a hole only not quite as big, Lalor was up there with Woodend (and stunk the same too), Mansfield is tragically not up to GVL standard, Seymour was always a quagmire, BUT WOODEND IS THE WINNER !!
But'it's ALMOST heaven compared to Wallan.

Noarlunga by far. It's a shame because they could do so much to make it better. There is hardly anywhere to sit. They only have one tiny grandstand which is for members only. It is also shocking up there when it rains! everyone has to crowd under the only shelter on the oval, no one can move.
Norwood oval is fine, I just worry about the brick wall near the boundary line. One day a player is going to injure themselves flying into that, It's pretty dangerous. It's a good atmosphere there though.

I would have to agree with Rosco5 about Woodend. The only time its not a bog is in April ! Another shockers include Brooklyn in the WRFL/SFL. There ground had no fence and it wasn't unusual to find pieces of concrete on the ground ! One ground that often is missed in this Gladstone Park with a crappy surface and two cricket hard wickets located at Centre Half Forward at each end of the grounds. Another one which is very ordinary is West Footscray when I played there I needed a snokel to mark the ball it was under that much water :D !

Taylors Lakes home ground springs to mind. An absolute cow paddock made worse by the fact that you knew you'd have to travel out there in the knowledge that despite going to play footy you'd end up having to crack some skulls as well.

SonOfScray said:
Taylors Lakes home ground springs to mind. An absolute cow paddock made worse by the fact that you knew you'd have to travel out there in the knowledge that despite going to play footy you'd end up having to crack some skulls as well.

Yep...I'm not sure whether they fixed the pipe problem under the ground that when it burst, covered half the ground in water.

I like how the have the "wet area" right beside the players entrance. I umpired the TL v Craigieburn game last season and they were giving it to me and the Craigieburn players...they end up causing verbals between the umpires and players and it's worse when the wind is going down to that end and all the play is there....ferals, the lot of them!

MACDAICOS said:
Wallan is paradise compared to Hurstbridge!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
Have you ever been to the wallan ground?,and i've never been to Hurstbridge ground so i cant comment.

Bombers 2003 said:
Have you ever been to the wallan ground?,and i've never been to Hurstbridge ground so i cant comment.
I lived in Wallan for 2 years so yes seen the ground plenty of times it is pretty bad I must admit it's dry and hard as a rock at the moment for cricket season.

I played in the Diamond Valley Football League so Hurstbridge was one of the grounds we had to play on or try to play on, during one winter there was no grass on the ground except for the forward pockets where there was a little green, disgraceful and the changerooms where the size of a toilet with cold showers, cold pies and yes the trifecta s h i t h o u s e beer!

Another ********ous Sydney ground is Whalan. Used to be Blacktowns home ground prior to the merger with Parramatta. First thing you notice in the change rooms are spraypainted stencils everywhere warning of hidden syringes, sure takes your mind of the game when changing. Then the only thing I remember of the ground is having my hand split after being stomped on and our trainer coming out and taking me straight off. Disinfectant and bandaged before I was allowed to return. Extreme? Yes, however apparently the ground is built on an old tip (like many others) and bits of broken glass and other crap occasionly still seeps to the surface.

MACDAICOS said:
I played in the Diamond Valley Football League so Hurstbridge was one of the grounds we had to play on or try to play on, during one winter there was no grass on the ground except for the forward pockets where there was a little green, disgraceful and the changerooms where the size of a toilet with cold showers, cold pies and yes the trifecta s h i t h o u s e beer!
That sounds like a few grounds,especially the '********house beer'bit,Kilmore.Woodend,Lancefield,Bacchus Marsh,Macedon Whittlesea,Melton,among others.

Bombers 2003 said:
That sounds like a few grounds,especially the '********house beer'bit,Kilmore.Woodend,Lancefield,Bacchus Marsh,Macedon Whittlesea,Melton,among others.

I remember being a kid in 1979 training at woodend in the middle of a racecouse after school and half the time you could see sweet f/a because of the fog. Long time ago but was the actual ground also in the middle of that racecouse?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back