Multiplat XCOM - Enemy Unknown

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: XCOM-Enemy Unknown

I'm sad at the lack of attention this game is getting on the forum :(

This looks pretty cool - but I will be pissed if the squad size is locked at four. I really liked taking the meat grinder approach in the earlier X-Com games, and that isn't something you'll be able to do with only four squaddies.

I'm sad at the lack of attention this game is getting on the forum :(

This looks pretty cool - but I will be pissed if the squad size is locked at four. I really liked taking the meat grinder approach in the earlier X-Com games, and that isn't something you'll be able to do with only four squaddies.

yeah, Im surprised we dont have more XCoM addicts in the forum.

On the squad size, is their actual talk that it is limited to four? I loved the original we you get the Avenger and load up 26 soldiers for a beatdown on the Aliens...whilst still having the option to use smaller craft for easier missions

Nothing I've heard, but the video and images I've seen of it so far only have four squaddies. Admittedly, they are all from the same showing, but I'm still concerned.

Did you ever play UFO 2000? Online multiplayer version of the original (mod, needs the original game installed to run). I spent a pretty awesome summer lanning it up with a cousin playing that.

yeah the small squad is a little concerning...I found out the max is 6
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/892298-xcom-enemy-unknown-preview-and-interview-ufo-conspiracy

But I do see the benefit of having a smaller squad in that it will be easier to shared experience, and it will be smoother gameplay as it wont take 20mins to move all your players..in the first Xcom once you get the avenger you have 24 soldiers and it starts to become tiring to control all of them in battle, and I found mission end out becoming a chore.

Although I did like having 6-10 core group of soldiers and having the rest as bait or sacrificial lambs to smoke out the aliens

I like the idea of have smaller squads to work as a team throughout the map and take down the aliens.

I wonder if injuries will become a bigger part of the game as well, with the need to rotate soldiers into the fighting squad

I remember playing the UFO: Enemy Unknown (as it was known back then) demo as a kid (from the PC Format april 94 cover disk) and thinking it was the hardest game I've ever played.

I haven't gone back to the series since, although I bought one cheap in a Steam sale once. I should probably check it out.

This actually looks really good. Take the classic and modernise it. Hopefully it will live up o how that trailer makes it seem.
Nothing like the FPS that's been talked about which would simply have an X-Com badge on something whoich would bear no resemblence to an X-Com game.

This actually looks really good. Take the classic and modernise it. Hopefully it will live up o how that trailer makes it seem.
Nothing like the FPS that's been talked about which would simply have an X-Com badge on something whoich would bear no resemblence to an X-Com game.

yeah there is a turn based xcom and a FPS XCOM coming out...I know which will be the bigger hit!

Looks shitloads better than the FPS "remake". Not too fond of the four man squads thing but all the media I've seen is from one mission so I hope you get larger teams. Nothing quite like getting your entire team torn apart by Chrysalids in a single turn.

Looks shitloads better than the FPS "remake". Not too fond of the four man squads thing but all the media I've seen is from one mission so I hope you get larger teams. Nothing quite like getting your entire team torn apart by Chrysalids in a single turn.

6 men max...a bit of a bummer, but still should be fun. I used to love loading the avenger with 10 gun career soldiers and 14 newbe/suicide runners to flush out the enemy. Guess I will have to watch my moves a little closer now.

and yeah the whole watching your squad getting taken down in one turn really sucks...and Chrysalid were a damm pain in the arse at that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The original XCOM is one of the greatest games of all time. I remember spending 24 hours+ in a row playing it back in the day. Managed to finish the whole game as well - very difficult with lots of saves and restarts. When I heard the new version was coming out, I installed the original and have been playing it again - it still stacks up against newer games due to gameplay alone.

If they get the 'remake' anywhere near right, this could be really good :)

Been researching into this a bit recently. It looks magnificent.

Do want. Now to decide if I want it on console or PC. I imagine it working best on PC but it would be so much more accessible for me on console.

Been researching into this a bit recently. It looks magnificent.

Do want. Now to decide if I want it on console or PC. I imagine it working best on PC but it would be so much more accessible for me on console.

It has always been a good game on either console or PC...Im going Console so I can play it on my 50inch plasma and surround sound. Plus you only control 4 men at a time so the mouse to click over all your squad each turn is not needed

So the FPS has dropped off in the press remarkably. I haven't seen a preview for it since early this year so I suspect that they're letting Enemy Unknown pretty much keep it out of the spotlight.

Still excited about this since Firaxis is an awesome company but I was let down by Jagged Alliance: Back in Action so I'm trying to not let my hopes get too high.

It has always been a good game on either console or PC...Im going Console so I can play it on my 50inch plasma and surround sound. Plus you only control 4 men at a time so the mouse to click over all your squad each turn is not needed

Mmm, I just feel the whole point and clink mechanism and fine tuning of movement would be very much best suited to a mouse/keyboard set up.

Mmm, I just feel the whole point and clink mechanism and fine tuning of movement would be very much best suited to a mouse/keyboard set up.

yeah the point and click is good. I played the 1st one on PS1, and the 3rd on PC...loved both. But judging by the camera angles (not complete overhead) I think it would suit either. I might even get both so I can play PC at work and PS3 at home :D

Greenmangaming.com is selling steam keys for $37.50 if you use this coupon:
GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G

I got mine last night. It beats paying the $70 Steam wants for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back